corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Limiting Accounts on Windows XP!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Limiting Accounts on Windows XP!
AdZ9

User status: Offline
30th Jun 08 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all

Me and my girlfriend have just moved into our flat over the weekend, my PC is the main computer in the flat and I have set up an account on it for her to log in. I set it to a limited account so she can't change things etc, but what I want to do is limit her to certain things as my PC is used for my work and currently holds important freelance and portfolio work.

I have 3 HDD's 2 of which are backups, one for downloads and one for work, i would like to limit her so she can't edit/open do anything to any of the stuff on the Backup HDD. I would also like to limit her so she can't open up certain programs.
This is because even though our documents folder etc are different my programs still show up as shortcuts on her dtop if she logs in?

Is there a way I can do this easily/effectively?

Cheers,
Adam
Dom

30th Jun 08 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at the security options (right-mouse-click on a drive/directory, and select the Security tab) - just add her username and make sure no options are selected (like read, write etc). Just make sure you are an administrator.

As for the desktop icons, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop - move the icons that you don't want her seeing to C:\Document and Settings\<YourUsername>\Desktop.

Hope this helps mate
AdZ9

30th Jun 08 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome sounds good, thanks mate will give it a go when i get in later

Cheers

New Poll