corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Opinion on my Portfolio site

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opinion on my Portfolio site
AdZ9

User status: Offline
1st Jul 08 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey all

Basically just want some different opinions on my portfolio website. Little background information before hand.

I'm a Graphic Designer, 90% of my work is print and the other 10% is mainly web banners, i tend to stay away from web sites, but can do them if needed too. I currently work for one of the worlds biggest publishers in their design studio doing all the marketing and publicity work, so I get to experience doing a lot of different media.
I haven't ever really done much freelance work before due to working full time and never needing too, but i've decided to start doing freelance work outside of my job to bump up my income as much as possible.

Opportunity came up and a friend who is a professional web designer offered to do my site for free as a favour to get me up and running, i purchased the url, hosting etc and he done the layout of my site and I filled it out content and my work. It's currently 90% completed, last bit to do is to use the Java Image Library i think it is, so that when the archived work is clicked it opens up the bigger image to show the work, where the screen goes dark etc I'm sure you've all experienced it somewhere before.

Ok enough of my dribble, time to give the url I suppose. Any criticism is appreciated whether it be good/bad/constructive, I want opinions on it before I go and spread it around trying to get some more work.

http://www.kudosis.co.uk (and i also have www.kudosis.com)

Thanks,
Adam

[Edited on 01-07-2008 by AdZ9]
AdZ9

1st Jul 08 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, the browsers I know it views properly in are IE7 and Firefox, not sure on any others such as Opera etc, so if you notice any glaring problems then please, let me know.

It should view like this:
deano87

1st Jul 08 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a Marketing & Advertising student, I like it. Simple, effective, easy to use, clearly displaying what you've done with short description as not to bore any viewer.

My only gripe is your introduction on the first page. Try and word it better, ditching the " / " etc
AdZ9

1st Jul 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like the first intro either really mate, its only there to aid the search engine results, me and my friend went through certain words to use thinking what joe public would search, its mainly there for search engines. For example his is worded in a similar fashion, and now if you search sharepoint design midlands in google his is first on the list, hence getting 9-10k hits a month and insane amounts of work!

Thanks for the input though, appreciate it, nice to see it appeals to people in a similar field, tried to keep it exactly how you described it, nice and simple. No-one wants to faff about around a website to find things, gone back to basics and included all thats needed!
Cosmo

1st Jul 08 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH SEO is an ever changing target. So what has worked for your mate may well hinder your site depending what the current listings are being based on.

Although saying that - it doesnt hurt to atleast trying what he has and hoping you get lucky in the placings.
AndyKent

1st Jul 08 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe its just me, but I think everything is just a touch on the large side.

Opening paragraph looks massive, as to the links and main logo, yet it still doesn't quite fit on the screen.

I know its a '2.0' design, but I'd make the top white box area smaller and not quite so in your face. It isn't particularly easy to read anyway (for SEO as already covered) so I'd just drop the font a few points.
Laney

1st Jul 08 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is probably just me, but the central background image is too close to the black background colour?
AdZ9

2nd Jul 08 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can anyone help me out with the name/source of the image loading used on this site

http://www.midlandsbreakfastclub.co.uk/page2.htm

When you click the images, thats how I want my archived work to load up, is it jQuery? If so does anyone know the name of it so i can search it.

Thanks for the criticism guys, yeh its a 2.0 design so everything is on the bigger side, i'll stick with it at the moment and see how it goes when i start advertising it around, thing is i don't even like most of my work its just i know that for clients looking at it they will be able to see what i can do etc
AdZ9

2nd Jul 08 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i have found it, called Lightbox?
Laney

2nd Jul 08 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
Think i have found it, called Lightbox?

I think Lightbox was cool, then it stopped being cool
AdZ9

2nd Jul 08 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh it seems most people have it now, but it's godo and it works, Lightbox 2 is the one i'm after, i may edit the style sheet of it to personalise it a bit more, we'll see!

Just looking at business card pricing, what i originally wanted is going to cost 300+ quid! Back to normal cards i think
AdZ9

4th Jul 08 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got lightbox working, now all archived work opens in lightbox

Check it out! http://www.kudosis.co.uk

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by AdZ9]
Cosmo

4th Jul 08 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just looking at business card pricing, what i originally wanted is going to cost 300+ quid! Back to normal cards i think

What were you after?
andy1868

4th Jul 08 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ivory cards, lined with the fat of a baby seal
AdZ9

4th Jul 08 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha nah was going to get rounded corners, with a spot uv layer (a varnish layer) on front side, so say the "Kudosis" logotype would be varnished, the quote i got for

500Qty - 400GSM Matte finish - Double sided - 1 UV layer - 4Colour both sides - Rounded Corners

Came to like £331 haha, i'll wait until i get paid for a big job and maybe get them done. For now its £89 for the same spec above but no UV layer and no rounded corners!
AdZ9

14th Jul 08 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my site up a little over a week now, about 10 days and already had 7500 hits, getting a steady 400-500 hits a day and i've been regularly checking out my google position.

I'm 1st in quite a few searches such as "logo branding chichester" and also in the more recognisable searches such as "branding chichester" i'm holding my own in 7th position with all the massive studios.

So my SEO must be working at the moment!

P.S - Also just updated it with some new work on the front page http://www.kudosis.co.uk

[Edited on 14-07-2008 by AdZ9]
Cosmo

14th Jul 08 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id be amazed if you had anywhere near the top in anything that people search for after 10 days

Where are your visitors coming from?

[Edited on 14-07-2008 by Cosmo]
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jul 08 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo

F5 F5 F5 F5

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AdZ9

14th Jul 08 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check it out for yourself mate, type in google "logo branding chichester" "branding chichester" "advert print chichester" etc i'm on most of them if not then i'm top of the search!

I'm amazed too, but its working!

I've had about 3000 from USA, 3000 from UK and rest EU. USA i'm guessing probably because theres a chichester in the USA too or something, not quite sure. The only sites from my "referrer" links on my stats are a few from here (the various c20xe.co.uk etc), one from AOC, one from linkedin and one from a freelanceuk forum, thats it.

Most are coming from searches etc i'm guessing! I haven't even spammed it really, so not to bad.
AdZ9

14th Jul 08 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

F5 F5 F5 F5

Apple + R actually as i'm on a mac!

On a serious note, i haven't even thought of refreshing the site because its pointless.... hits aren't doing anything for me, i'm just happy that i'm holding my own against the big studios near me!
Cosmo

14th Jul 08 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do your stats not tell you what search words/terms people are using? Thats always a good hint at whats working for you and then you can change other stuff to match those and get higher up!
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Jul 08 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
quote:

F5 F5 F5 F5

Apple + R actually as i'm on a mac!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ed

14th Jul 08 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice site

You've got a broken link at the bottom of the page; the Testemonials link finishes -htm, and not .htm
AdZ9

14th Jul 08 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Nice site

You've got a broken link at the bottom of the page; the Testemonials link finishes -htm, and not .htm

Haha cheers ed, no matter how many times i check it for errors i never get them all, i had my wrong mobile number on all week, was so pissed off. I'll change it when i get home, thanks mate.

Yeh craig i do check it, i'm keeping a record of them so i can bump up or stay 1st as long as possible! My webhosting uses AWStats which is awesome

New Poll