corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » British F1 GP to be held at Donington Park from 2010

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author British F1 GP to be held at Donington Park from 2010
Nath

User status: Offline
4th Jul 08 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From BBC Sport:

1138: BREAKING NEWS:
The FIA have announced that the British Grand Prix is to be staged at Donington Park from 2010.
Full report to follow.

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by Nath]
jimmy 2.1

4th Jul 08 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they altering the track to suit because imo, its barely big enough for MotoGP bikes
Robbo

4th Jul 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robbo

4th Jul 08 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a nonsensical decision

The British Formula One Grand Prix is to move from Silverstone to Donington from 2010, it has been announced.

The race's traditional home is owned by the British Racing Drivers' Club, who had been in talks for a new deal with Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.

"We wanted a world class venue for F1 in Britain, something that the teams and fans could be proud of," he said.

"Donington's development plans will give us exactly that, a venue to put British motorsport back on the map."

606: DEBATE
Give your reaction to the move to Donington

Ecclestone said he was disappointed that the government had not intervened to help Silverstone retain the race.

"I am sorry that we could not have helped Silverstone to raise the money to carry out the circuit improvements and run F1," he said.

"I believe that the government should have supported them which would have cost probably less than .002% of the government's commitment for the Olympic Games."

Max Moseley, the president of international motorsport's governing body the FIA, said he was glad that the future of the race had been secured.

"After many years of patient but fruitless negotiation with the BRDC, we are delighted that Bernie has nevertheless been able to ensure that the British Grand Prix will keep its place on the F1 calendar," he said.

"We understand that the development programme planned for Donington will achieve the very high standards we expect from a modern F1 circuit.

"Finally, British fans will get the venue they deserve."

Donington Park last hosted F1 in 1993, when Ayrton Senna drove one of his greatest races to win what was called the European Grand Prix.

The track has a history with F1 that dates back further than Silverstone's - the first Grand Prix at the track was in 1935, and it held races there until the outbreak of the second World War, famously hosting the battle between the Silver Arrows of Mercedes and Auto Union (the fore-runner of Audi) in 1937 and '38.

But it will need a huge overhaul to come up to F1's standards.

The track will need lengthening, and while Silverstone's facilities have been consistently criticised by Ecclestone, Donington's are currently nowhere near the standard of those at the Northamptonshire track.

Many more millions will need to be spent at Donington to bring its facilities up to F1's standards than would have been needed at Silverstone.

The track is well served by transport links. It is next to East Midlands airport, and about two miles from the M1 motorway.
Robbo

4th Jul 08 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That said, my missus will be pelased seen as how she lives 5 minutes away from Silverstone
jacko198

4th Jul 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats good! kinda
Atleast i can get to it in 2 hours, not 4hrs +
AndyKent

4th Jul 08 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems stupid to move it from one underdeveloped track (which can at least cope with it, if a bit tatty) to one which can't cope at all in its present form.

I wonder if Mr. Ecclestone is the major shareholder at Donny

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by aPk]
Scotty_B

4th Jul 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If this is the case, Donninton will be re-built from scratch.
ed_jones

4th Jul 08 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i doubt it will go through will cost too much and they only have 2 years to update.

it will cost big millions plus to get ready for it. just heard a interview with damon hill and thats his thoughts

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by ed_jones]
Fonz
Premium Member

4th Jul 08 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
autocar magazine

...extend the lap length, widen run off areas, build new pits, paddock and grandstands, spend millions building new car parks and resolve traffic access problems...it woudl probably cost as much as Silverstone - around £18million

thats a a hell of lot to spend in less than 24months!

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by Fonz]
Daimo B

4th Jul 08 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to see the Donnington plans, anyone got any info on it?

Sounds like they are about to butcher one of the UK's best motorcycle circuits (i'd put Brands at the top personnally, but spectator viewing is getting terrible there too).

Anything moved or changed between Redgate allllll the way round to the exit of Coppice would be a terrible for UK racing.

Plus is there really enough room at Donnington as it is? Especially with the terrible small roads getting too the circuit?

More info if anyones got it please, more specifically (fcuk F1, just technologically brilliant, but its sh1te ) the proposed track changes.

(PS, Brands Hatch had this 10 years ago, full re-development program, all the GP circuit was to be the main track, GP circuit straight would have been start/fin line etc.... All for F1). It never happenend....
DJMartin07

4th Jul 08 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donnington is a Bike track and touring cars can barely go two wode round it, not a good circuit for cars tbh.
Robbo

4th Jul 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
I want to see the Donnington plans, anyone got any info on it?

Sounds like they are about to butcher one of the UK's best motorcycle circuits (i'd put Brands at the top personnally, but spectator viewing is getting terrible there too).

Anything moved or changed between Redgate allllll the way round to the exit of Coppice would be a terrible for UK racing.

Plus is there really enough room at Donnington as it is? Especially with the terrible small roads getting too the circuit?

More info if anyones got it please, more specifically (fcuk F1, just technologically brilliant, but its sh1te ) the proposed track changes.

(PS, Brands Hatch had this 10 years ago, full re-development program, all the GP circuit was to be the main track, GP circuit straight would have been start/fin line etc.... All for F1). It never happenend....
Dont thinks so bud but if you have a gander on the donnington website there may eb something
Daimo B

4th Jul 08 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DJMartin07
Donnington is a Bike track and touring cars can barely go two wode round it, not a good circuit for cars tbh.

Yes it is, just not stupid 50m wide tracks that F1 needs.

BTCC, F Fords, F Palmers, F Renaults, Clio Cups, plus untolds other car racing i've seen there has prooved its a good car track as well.

Just not F1 ready, and it should never try to be, its a class circuit because the way it is. I would change it, but only from where i've mentioned, the circuits flowing and smooth, bar the two stupid hairpins (BUT they still provide good places to overtake).
Robin
Premium Member

4th Jul 08 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was F1 ready in 1993 when the cars were faster and less 'tight'.
Daimo B

4th Jul 08 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
It was F1 ready in 1993 when the cars were faster and less 'tight'.

Thats like saying Brands was F1 ready in the 80's when they were running STUPID power (turbos n such time)...

Doesn't mean its ready, it was just all it had at the time, don't foget 1993 was a fair while ago now, i still had another 3 years at school And im 27!!!!
Robin
Premium Member

4th Jul 08 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I'm saying is that it's clearly not as unsuited as people are making out.
Daimo B

4th Jul 08 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For modern day F1 it isn't.

Not wide enough, no overtaking places for a F1 car (yeah can you see two F1 cars fighting it out down the Craners like a set of BTCC cars ), the straight is only like 600m long, even the MotoGP bikes just get into 5th, they don't use 6th at all.

In fact, other than Silverstone, we haven't got any other circuits anywhere near good enough for F1, the other closest is Bedford Autodrome, but thats a track circuit, not a racetrack.

Brands, Donnington, Cadwell, Outlen, Lydden, Mallory, Castle Coombe, Thruxten, Anglesea, Knockhill, all far too small, not enough run off area etc.

F1 rules say they need a service road round the track, plus concerete runoff areas, afiquate gravel traps etc. Most circuits simply don't have the room or facilities, and if you did make room, no-one could go to watch as it would all be runoff areas

Its a shame our government have no interest in motorsport whatsoever. It makes me angry. Most other countries, their governments contribute a huge sum (millions) to get the F1 GP, our government does nothing at all for UK motorsport (other than tax us for all the fuel and everything, and pull us over en-route etc..). Wankers.

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by VXR]
Dan Lewis

4th Jul 08 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the people there today had donnigton overalls on
CorsAsh

4th Jul 08 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw a recent Renault F1 car drive round Donnington, and it didn't fall off once
DJMartin07

4th Jul 08 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's Bernie Eccelstone, he's a little fucking twat with no life. He would rather be a fucking Arabian than be a British Citizen.
Nick-S

4th Jul 08 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

European f1 gp was held at Donnington in 1993, i went to watch it at the grand old age of 7

Edit, just relised it had be posted above

[Edited on 04-07-2008 by GSi_16v]
Bram

4th Jul 08 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're going to have to spend big money to get it to the standard of other circuits around the world! And has been said I don't think congestion will be any better/worse than Silverstone currently is?!

That said, it's right on my door step so pretty chuffed
richardworrall
Premium Member

4th Jul 08 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work about 5 mins away and live 10 mins away. Should be interesting with the traffic through donington village.
ainsley_brader

4th Jul 08 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its done carefully and well thought out then I dont see a problem with it.

They could quite easily add to the circuit around melbourne to make it loner!

Run off areas aren't a problem at all. They have been extended once and theres plenty of room to take them further. (I remember attending wsb/bike gps in 92/93 after they had extended the run off areas last time. As a lot off the riders rely on the fences/tyre walls etc for braking points many were far too late for the brakes made for entertainment!)

I think its a great idea love Donington think its a great circuit and im sure they wont ruin it.

And hey as long as they dont start messing about with cadwell all is good!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » British F1 GP to be held at Donington Park from 2010 22 database queries in 0.0136189 seconds