corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » £150 to sort 2 small bits of rust?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author £150 to sort 2 small bits of rust?
Mark.W

User status: Offline
8th Jul 08 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to a bodyshop today for a price on 2 small bits of rust that i want sorting before its spreads.

iv marked the areas on the pictures to show where i was told would need painted to sort it and i cant understand why parts of the car thats fine need painting to sort it and even half of the wing for sum reason

the rust spot is the size of a 5p piece and is not even rotting the metal yet its just on the top of the paint work.

and on the underneath of the lip on the boot about 2inches long,and again not rotting the metal its just on the surface,the bodyshop reckons the part of the boot iv marked would need all painting as well.

are they trying to rob me or what,it just totally baffles me why large parts of the car which is fine needs painting to sort 2 small bits of rust.

[Edited on 08-07-2008 by wooly101uk]
MikeE

8th Jul 08 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so the colour matches
Bonney

8th Jul 08 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its a metallic, it will need blending in so its a good colour match
ed

8th Jul 08 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It takes a lot more than just filling in the rust and touching in the paint. They will paint more than you think, and it wont be a 5 minute job.
Tommy L

8th Jul 08 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well they will respray the whole panels wont they. They will do the wing as well as they will want to blend it into it.

TBH 150 is a very good price imo
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Jul 08 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get more quotes.
random dav
Premium Member

8th Jul 08 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you not get a 'chips away' kind of person to do it?

WRLFC !

Project cars
AndyCorsaSport

8th Jul 08 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh id say that is cheap. I work at a bodyshop, and its right, to do it properly they will have to take the mirror off, bump strip, handle out, repeater off, arch spat off. Then for the boot, the spoiler off, boot handle out, wiper motor out, plate off. Prep the FULL door and wing, prep the full boot. Sort the rust, paint over the repaired area, and laquer the FULL door, wing and boot, and put it back together.
Mark.W

8th Jul 08 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did go to another painter where i got my bumper painted and he quoted me £80 but didn't involve large areas of the car painted.

but i had to take my bumper back after 10months of it being painted as it started to flake off which isnt a good thing.

but why would the wind need painting? that what baffles me the most and if they just painted a part of the boot it will look a different colour to the rest of the boot and will loo patchy.

also if the wing is painted it will be a different colur to my bonnet.

Andrew

8th Jul 08 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£150 sounds cheap to me. I got quoted £350 to spray a door Showed the guy another little dent i wanted sorting and the bill went up to £700. I walked Can put that towards a new car

[Edited on 08-07-2008 by Andrew]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Jul 08 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't know why, consider that you need to take it there. I don't know much about bodywork either, which is why I don't question what I'm told!

I also think you've answered your own question about paying the rate for the job. The £80 work wasn't up to much by the looks of things.
Tommy L

8th Jul 08 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wooly101uk
i did go to another painter where i got my bumper painted and he quoted me £80 but didn't involve large areas of the car painted.

but i had to take my bumper back after 10months of it being painted as it started to flake off.

but why would the wind need painting? that what baffles me the most and if they just painted a part of the boot it will look a different colour to the rest of the boot and will loom patchy.

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tomtom
They will do the wing as well as they will want to blend it into it.

[Edited on 08-07-2008 by corsa_tomtom]
AndyCorsaSport

8th Jul 08 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wooly101uk

but i had to take my bumper back after 10months of it being painted as it started to flake off which isnt a good thing.

but why would the wind need painting? that what baffles me the most and if they just painted a part of the boot it will look a different colour to the rest of the boot and will loo patchy.

also if the wing is painted it will be a different colur to my bonnet.

No offence mate, but you dont know what your talking about, they wont paint the whole wing, just flick a bit of paint into it, but they have to LAQUER the whole wing, same with the boot, they will flick a bit of paint over where it was rusty, but LAQUER it all.

It wont be off colour if the colour is mixed properly, and it wont be patchy.
chunk89

8th Jul 08 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they have to blend it in. 150 seem about right. because they have to grind out the rust and then prep it primer and paint dry laqcuer and dry again
Mark.W

8th Jul 08 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chunk89
they have to blend it in. 150 seem about right. because they have to grind out the rust and then prep it primer and paint dry laqcuer and dry again

they did say they would have to grind the lip open on the boot and treat it with wax oyl inside the seal it back up and paint it.

also say they would need the car for 2 days.
chunk89

8th Jul 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2days seems along time i did rust on me wing and at the bottom of me door within 4hours and it was dry and i was workin on other cars while doing it
AndyCorsaSport

8th Jul 08 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chunk89
2days seems along time i did rust on me wing and at the bottom of me door within 4hours and it was dry and i was workin on other cars while doing it

2 Day's isnt long. Rome wasnt built in a day, the work will have to be done on day 1, painted and either baked off, or left over night to dry, left to harden a bit the 2nd day, then flatted and polished. If you did it in 4 hours, it cant have been polished.
Mark.W

8th Jul 08 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will get sum pics of the rust up 2morrow to see what you think.
Mark.W

8th Jul 08 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bodyshop that would do it for £150 has done a full respray on a lads on here.

here some pics of the work...

AndyCorsaSport

8th Jul 08 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can see they do things properly, i.e windows out, handles out etc. Looks good work.
Graeme
Premium Member

8th Jul 08 at 22:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah paintwork looks ok from pics but they might not treat the rust properly, its better to get a good name than a cheap price.
Mark.W

8th Jul 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
yeah paintwork looks ok from pics but they might not treat the rust properly, its better to get a good name than a cheap price.

the pics above is the guys work that would do it properly for £150
col

8th Jul 08 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good price in my eyes
Richardhhha

8th Jul 08 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a very good price! Got quoted £800+ to re spray my door, and have a small chip blended in above the passengers front door, small bit of rust on osf wing, and a 3" scratch on the boot... Wouldn't have minded if it was a really complex colour match, its just fooking glacia white
Mark.W

8th Jul 08 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
thats a very good price! Got quoted £800+ to re spray my door, and have a small chip blended in above the passengers front door, small bit of rust on osf wing, and a 3" scratch on the boot... Wouldn't have minded if it was a really complex colour match, its just fooking glacia white

£800

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » £150 to sort 2 small bits of rust? 23 database queries in 0.0192981 seconds