corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » lense help? (whats the difference?)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author lense help? (whats the difference?)
Matt L

User status: Offline
9th Jul 08 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the difference bar the price?

sigma 70-300mm
sigma 70-300mm (different that the above)
tamron 70-300mm

not really clued up on different lenses but why such different prices? is it purely the brands that affeft the price or is there actually differences?
Tiger

9th Jul 08 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sigma lenses shouldnt differ too much, maybe ones an older model, or could be stabilized or something like that.

I'd rate Sigma over Tamron, Tamron use cheaper glass so the optics are slightly worse. You'll get less pin cushion distortion on the Sigma.

The more elements you get in a lens the better it is generally if your looking at a group of lenses of the same focal length.
Tiger

9th Jul 08 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw that you gave links, now i've checked 'em

Sigma lenses look identical so I'd guess one is an older model, focus wont be as fast on the cheaper one.

As for the Tamron, what I said above still applies.
Matt L

9th Jul 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only difference i saw was that the cheaper sigma lense is a tad lighter than the other

cheers, so its mainly the glass thats different between sigma and tamron.
Tiger

9th Jul 08 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i'd say so, but if glass makes up for 40% of the optical quality then its worth considering the best you can afford.

I always gauge heaviness as a good quality to have, my camera weighs shitloads when its loaded up, but it helps steadyness and balance, at least in my opinion.
Tiger

9th Jul 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81035

Some more opinions...
Rob E

9th Jul 08 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the sigma lenses is from a different range (APO) which may be different glass. I have the tamron lense for my camera and its been great so far, cant fault it for the level I shoot at

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » lense help? (whats the difference?) 23 database queries in 0.0047779 seconds