corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » (Brakes) how much are these worth?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author (Brakes) how much are these worth?
Jordan C

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 08 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As title! how much should i be paying for these? beleive there 308mm runing 2.0 16v calipers and braided lines!

lil_g

23rd Jul 08 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea but I want them!! Badly!
SportBoy

23rd Jul 08 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to have some brakes the same as that . were really good! think there about 300 ish new so 100 - 200 depending on wear on them
lil_g

23rd Jul 08 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where did you get them from sportyboy?
Jordan C

23rd Jul 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There like new apart from the surface rust! no groves or that in them! also got braided lines with it wich saves me sum moneys!
DaveB

23rd Jul 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi-Spec 300mm using original 16v calipers.
They don't sell it anymore as the discs were prone to cracking when using the standard calipers as the heat wouldn't disapate enough.

Kit was way more than £300 new though - the new 'rotors' alone are c. £260 apair.
Jordan C

23rd Jul 08 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they any good? these arnt cracked it all! might have to warm them up and cool them down properly! got speedlines so they will get plenty air anyway
DaveB

23rd Jul 08 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very good; just keep an eye on the discs! I had them for 4years on my GSI; went through 3 pairs of rotors in that time, LOL. Excellent brakes mate (for the money anyway)
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

23rd Jul 08 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

braking isnt in the size of the disc, its all in the clamping force. so they wont be much better than standard XE brakes.

the bigger discs help with heat dissipation, nothing more. generally the pads will overheat well before the discs.

they do look good though.
Dave A

23rd Jul 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and in my Hi-spec catalogue from 2003 these were #280 new (just discs, bells and brackets)
sand-eel

23rd Jul 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
braking isnt in the size of the disc, its all in the clamping force. so they wont be much better than standard XE brakes.

the bigger discs help with heat dissipation, nothing more. generally the pads will overheat well before the discs.

they do look good though.

nope bigger disks make alot of difference it's not just the clamping force, think of it, spin a wheel put your finger in the middle it takes longer to stop than if you put your finger on the outside rim.
andyc1234

23rd Jul 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same kit as what i have. pretty damn good for what they are really. not had a single problem with them at all. you should put v6 pads in as they are the same just a bit wider so they use all of the disc instead of leaving a rusty bit. on the inside. i paid 160 quid just for the outer rotors.
Adam_B

23rd Jul 08 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF that makes no sense at all
sand-eel

23rd Jul 08 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mmm i would have thought v6 pads wouldn't make a difference or make it worse, you want a long pad but not wide.
andyc1234

23rd Jul 08 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it does make sense. which ever way it is they are bigger and fit the disc better. i know what i mean
Adam_B

23rd Jul 08 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not you mate, sand-eel making out a big disc makes that much difference.
Dave A

24th Jul 08 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel

nope bigger disks make alot of difference it's not just the clamping force, think of it, spin a wheel put your finger in the middle it takes longer to stop than if you put your finger on the outside rim.

A bigger disc has 1 purpose, that is to dissipate heat more efficiently. On a road car you will struggle to overcook a good disc and pad setup. The most important factors with brakes (apart from the spec of disc and pad material) is the surface are of the pad and the amount of clamping force that is applied to the disc. the more clamping force and surface area, the faster the disc and pads will heat up. The surface are of the pads used with this kit is relatively small and perfectlly suited to the standard disc size. So will the bigger disc make much difference to the braking? well yes, it will allow the pads and discs to cool down quicker and run cooler but will you ever get them that hot? I agree they do look a lot better and wont harm the breaking peformace but at the same time they wont improve it greatly.

All of the above is not just my opinion its information from various brake manufacturers and designers.
cheekyalex

24th Jul 08 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought bigger discs are also more effective due to having more leverage to stop the wheel, as its further from away from the center, if that makes any sense?
sand-eel

24th Jul 08 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i was trying to say, the further away from the centre the bigger "moment arm" there is.
Shrek

24th Jul 08 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone is right in their own way.

The simple way of putting it is, the bigger the disc the better the stopping power, i'll explain.

Basically brakes will work efficiently at a pre determined temp so the bigger the discs the more heat they will disipate and therefore not over heat and boil your nice fresh brake fluid. well done Dave A have a cookie.

However this is NOT the only benefit of larger discs, Dave A again gets another cookie as he has highlighted the important fact of clamping force that is almost always overlooked. The more surface area of the disc you have the larger the pad you can have this give you more friction area! so therefore will slow you down much quicker and wont have to work as hard.

For example if you have 250 mm discs and pads to match discs, then upgrade to 500 mm discs with larger pads then your brakes will require much less effort to stop you, therefore increasing stopping power.

I could go into coefficient friction forces but i have a head ache and would get really bored!

Sorry for the essay i tried to keep it short.
Shrek

24th Jul 08 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just another quick one if you want really good brakes then you must upgrade the whole system starting at source. i.e The master cylinder etc...

You could also try leg weights??
Pete_vxl

24th Jul 08 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave A is gonna be a fat bastard by the end of this thread.
Ellis

24th Jul 08 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the point of having great big fuck off discs when you only have XE calipers?

Mind you it looks damn cool behind a Speedline
joes_1.4_16v_sport

24th Jul 08 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anybody got a "HOW TO" guide on fitting bigger/ ie: Better brakes to a x16xe

2 LT brakes go straight on?

Any modding to be done?
DaveB

24th Jul 08 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, not basing my opinion on "what I've read", or laws of physics.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that I owned the same brake setup on a 210bhp astra gsi (heavy car btw) for over 3 years and noticed a MASSIVE improvement in braking power over the standard 16v setup.

It's likely, that had 4pots been fitted, that this improvement would have been even better still, but having not tried that, I can only comment on my experiences.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » (Brakes) how much are these worth? 22 database queries in 0.0133679 seconds