corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Vauxhall locking wheel nuts - key question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vauxhall locking wheel nuts - key question
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Aug 08 at 10:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried to get my wheels off the car and i've snapped the locking nut key. Being a genuine vaux item i thought i'd have a chance of picking a replacement up if i order it from vauxhall, no such luck as i dont have a security code?

so what now? i need to replace my shocks, managed to do 3 before it snapped on the last wheel any other options to remove a vauxhall locking nut?

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
mattievRS

9th Aug 08 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either whack a slightly smaller socket on it with a hammer OR drill it and tap a reverse thread into it ,then use a matching pitch bolt to get it out.Either way its new set of locking nuts im afraid.
Danny W
Premium Member

9th Aug 08 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the reply, i did think about whacking a socket onto it but the head of the bolt spins round so wasn't sure if it would work.

havent got a clue how to go about tapping it lol

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
mikey26

9th Aug 08 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have u sorted it yet? on the top of the lockin wheel nut key there should be a number if u give that to them they should be able to sort u out,i worked for vauxhall and had a customer needin one and we just sorted it by the number on the key.
Danny W
Premium Member

9th Aug 08 at 13:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent sorted yet no, i've found a 3 digit number assuming this was right i rang vauxhall and i will need to supply this number, my V5 and proof of identity, they will have to order one in for my and will cost £28.
they said chances are my wheel bolts havent been torqued properly and have been over tightened, if i buy a new key theres a possibility i could sheer that too.

i wont be able to get to vaux till next weekend now due to work. but hopefully i can sort it.

Thanks for your reply

[Edited on 09-08-2008 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
alan-g-w

9th Aug 08 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A set of easi-outs might work mate - work by drilling a hole in the bolt then they have a reverse 'twist' to them. As you turn them anti-clockwise they drive in, hopefully taking the bolt out at the same time.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-PCE-NUT-SPLITTER-5-PCE-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-EASYOUTS_W0QQitemZ160269267553QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160269267553&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

EDIT: That might not be the best set. If you were going for them you'd want a good make.

[Edited on 09-08-2008 by alan-g-w]
ed

9th Aug 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're lucky a Vauxhall garage might be able to try and see if any of the sets of bolts they have in stock match the ones on your car. If so, use that key to get them out. There are only so many key patterns available so you might be in luck.

I had a similar problem on my car, and luckily the first set they pulled out fitted my bolts. Bonus!

If not, there are plenty of forceful techniques to get them off...
mikey26

9th Aug 08 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had the same probs wiv my genuine vauxhall lockin nut key they r crap for wot u pay tbh! if u really make sure nut key is proper on the nut u should be ok best to use a short as poss bar to undo the nut aswell sounds hard but can be done mate long bars with the angle u get at the handle tend to make the key slip.

New Poll