corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Can i go wrong with a D40 ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can i go wrong with a D40 ?
jr

User status: Offline
11th Aug 08 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the price ???

also, out of intrest, people like adamb, whittie etc, how much post preduction to you put into your pics with photoshiop etc, as some of them are quality
JonnyJ

11th Aug 08 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good beginner camera but doesnt have an auto focus motor built in so if the lens doesnt have AF you will have to manual focus.
will_ainsworth

12th Aug 08 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

400d ftw
AndyKent

12th Aug 08 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can pick up a 400D second hand for about £250 so that'd be my recommendation - very similar to the D40/D60 but with autofocus built in
jr

12th Aug 08 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s47076/0/Digital-SLRs/Nikon/D40-Black-%2b-AF-S-DX-18-55mm-Lens/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&searchword=d40&SortBy=RelevanceDESC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=n

just like the idea of buying new incase things go wrong etc
Leighton

12th Aug 08 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 400D is a pritty good camera and the 1000D is new and looks a low level entry Camera from Canon.
i do no post preduction to my pics, i take the pic and keep it as is
jacko198

12th Aug 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the d50 for 300 from ebay, brand new etc etc a year ago, would well recomend it. Check out digital camera mag forum, they are extremely helpfull!
AndyKent

12th Aug 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you really want new, check here - http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod267.html

Can easily knock £30 off Jessops' price
Whittie

12th Aug 08 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
for the price ???

also, out of intrest, people like adamb, whittie etc, how much post preduction to you put into your pics with photoshiop etc, as some of them are quality

Not a lot anymore. If I get a pic that i'm happy with i'll either leave it unedited, or just add a touch of contrast / sharpen it / and either + or - the exposure. Simple things in photoshop tbh.

D40 is a good cam, same as the d60, both don't have autofocus. If you get into it, you'll be a bit miffed it doesn't autofocus.

Good camer though, think the cannon version is the 400d? aPk used to have it I think.
Jas

12th Aug 08 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell jr to GTF with buying a D40. if you wants a DSLR on the cheap get the sony A200
Jas

12th Aug 08 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps (vibs)
jr

12th Aug 08 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers ross
Adam_B

12th Aug 08 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:
Originally posted by jr
for the price ???

Not a lot anymore. If I get a pic that i'm happy with i'll either leave it unedited, or just add a touch of contrast / sharpen it / and either + or - the exposure. Simple things in photoshop tbh.

same here.
Rob E

12th Aug 08 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After having a 400D and a D50, I would always recommend cannon. The design is a lot more user friendly, as are the menu systems. It could have been down to the fact I started on the 400d that I couldnt get to grips with the Nikon. From other peoples photography though, both very capable cameras for the money
AndyKent

13th Aug 08 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr
for the price ???

D40 is a good cam, same as the d60, both don't have autofocus. If you get into it, you'll be a bit miffed it doesn't autofocus.

Good camer though, think the cannon version is the 400d? aPk used to have it I think.

Indeed, now considering selling up as I went full frame
Whittie

13th Aug 08 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
After having a 400D and a D50, I would always recommend cannon. The design is a lot more user friendly, as are the menu systems. It could have been down to the fact I started on the 400d that I couldnt get to grips with the Nikon. From other peoples photography though, both very capable cameras for the money

I disagree tbh, the Nikon's are more user friendly towards beginners.
Avix87

13th Aug 08 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whittie what do you use?

Do the 400d's have AF ?
Whittie

13th Aug 08 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nikon D60 mate

Yes 400d's do have AF on their 50mm lens. There might be other lenses that don't AF, aPk, Gaz or Rob E might be able to help you there though, they're Cannon users.
John

13th Aug 08 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the canon ones autofocus.

Canons were always far superior when I was looking to buy, I was totally unbiased at the time as I didn't have a clue.

[Edited on 13-08-2008 by John]
Leighton

13th Aug 08 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say that it is hard to find any lens that dont AF any more, all my Canon ones do and all the lens that i have seen do.
Doug

13th Aug 08 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=76788

Discussion thread talking about D40 vs A200
AndyKent

13th Aug 08 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, as far as I know all new canon lenses (ie. those sold in the last 3 year minimum) all autofocus.

I hear a lot about Nikon being easier to pick up menu-wise, but my Canon(s) aren't exactly difficult once you've seen what does what.

More difficult is knowing what settings you need, rather than where to find them IMO.
John

13th Aug 08 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There isn't anything I use on my 350d that I can't get to with one button press, after you have originally played about theres very little you would need to go back into the menu for.

The menu is press menu button then across and up and down though, not exactly difficult.
Rob E

13th Aug 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob E

I disagree tbh, the Nikon's are more user friendly towards beginners.

Canon lay out was a lot easier to get to grips with i found. Could have been down to the fact I learnt on a canon and not a nikon..... Whatever you do just dont get an olympus DSLR, you will spend more time adjusting the settings than you will talking photos
mattk

13th Aug 08 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does sigmas nikon fit 70 - 200 AF on a D40?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Can i go wrong with a D40 ? 23 database queries in 0.0105321 seconds