corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Garden help.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Garden help.
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Aug 08 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just moved into my first house, its 3years old, and since new, the guy who owned it, just left the garden.

It was about 5ft tall with big stalks and nettles etc etc. so i took to it with a petrol strimmer and got it down to about half a foot tall.

Now i want to gravel a strip about 5m wide by about 15m long. There is still all the roots etc of the big stalk type things and lots of weeds.

Is my best bet to get a rotovator and turn it all over?

Help....

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
BigSte

27th Aug 08 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this was like mine.......I cut it all down and then got in a mini digger for the day and dug down about a foot all the way across....
there were some roots from trees that I manually dug out though.

Then got 20 tonne of top soil and then turfed. Now lookes like this (apart from the turf went all the way round the back of the garage, I din't just leave it :

Dan
Premium Member

27th Aug 08 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant get a mini digger into the garden, only have a house door sized gate to get through, and no other access.

Its not exactly thick, i can pull it all out with a fork/spade. Its just a big area, and i aint fit enough to get on with it by hand

Would a rotorvator turn it all over to soil, then i can leave it to dry out and get the weeds out by hand etc?

Then ill put a membrane down and will be gravelling that part.

Am i going down the right track, or not got a clue lol

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
C2RL R

27th Aug 08 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just double check the sizes of mini diggers first mate. we had a gap we assumed was too small but we managed to get a little digger through it. we had about 5mm either side.
--DAN--

27th Aug 08 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
just double check the sizes of mini diggers first mate. we had a gap we assumed was too small but we managed to get a little digger through it. we had about 5mm either side.

Good advice that, my brother in law is a landscape gardener and said some hire places have a digger which basically folds up so you can take it through somebodies house
Ste
Premium Member

31st Aug 08 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no need to piss about with diggers. you need to buy some glyphoshate weed killer, let the stalks grow some young leaves then give the whole lot a pasting and it will kill it off in a few days. Glyphosphate is a broad spectrum weed killer so will kill veerything green, so be careful what gets sprayed. once it is dead chop it down to the floor and lay some weed matting down, this stops the weeds growing through and into your gravel. them just put the gravel on top of the matting. hth ste

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
a_j_mair

2nd Sep 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id just get the weed killer out spray it all

then you can rotavate it reseed any bits with grass or make borders then some kerbs lay down some terram and gravel over the top. depending if its just gravel or a path id dig a path down a good 150mm hardcore it, compact it, another layer of terram and chips

New Poll