corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Yoyo Temp gauge (Fixed)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Yoyo Temp gauge (Fixed)
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Oct 08 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've noticed recently it seems to be taking a lot longer for my temp gauge to get upto temp. It used to be upto 90 after about 5-7 mins gentle driving but recently I can be driving for 15-20 mins before it gets there.

I've also noticed once it's upto temperature if I'm sat in traffic it shoots up fairly quickly to about 97, fan kicks in but takes ages to get it back down again. Then on the motorway today I'd got it upto temp, got on the motorway, doing 70-80 and it dropped right off, down to the lower marking on the gauge.

I've thought it could possibly be an airlock but always thought with an airlock the gauge'll just drop off completely for a bit but heaters will still be hot. My heaters seem to work in stnc with the temp gauge so before when it dropped off, I tried the heaters and they were cool so I'm not sure it is an airlock but I can't think what else could be causing it.

Coolant seems fine, it's old but it doesn't seem to be contaminated.

Any ideas, it's an X12XE if that's any extra help to anyone

[Edited on 05-10-2008 by Mike B]

[Edited on 13-10-2008 by Mike B]
gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only thing I can think of is airlock like you said. Maybe take the cap of and let it boil over etc just to make sure there is no air in there and go from there.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Mike
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 20:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, I'll just have to give that a go then report back
Mike
Premium Member

5th Oct 08 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, was speaking to Mattk today at a meet and he asked could it be the thermostat stuck open?

From my training I seem to remember that modern thermostats tend to stick closed and it was older design ones that stick open, I can't remember properly tho it was a few years ago but it seemed to make sence when I was driving home.

The meet was just off the motorway so going home it was minutes till I was on the motorway, temp guage obviously fairly low. I stuck to 50 to try and give it chance to warm up but it wouldn't go past the first mark on the gauge (the sort of U shaped bit if you like). After about 15 mins on the motorway I got off and went along a dual carriageway, slowed down to 40 to see if that would help. Still wouldn't go any higher until about another 10mins later when I stopped at a set of traffic lights, it slowly started climbing then continued to climb whilst I was sticking to 30. Sped up to 40 again and the needle started dropping again

Now taking that into account, what Matt said does make sense but can the thermostat stick open?

Sorry about the essay
Kurt

5th Oct 08 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normal driving mine will stick around the first notch.. infact hammering it wont go much higher.. but will go up whilst in traffic..
Mike
Premium Member

5th Oct 08 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine's always sat between about 88-92 usually dependant on outside temperature. It's just recently it's been playing up a bit
Kurt

5th Oct 08 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you tried replacing the sensor in the bottom of the rad?
Mike
Premium Member

5th Oct 08 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heater seems to reflect what the temp guage is telling me tbh so when it's low the heaters are cold or maybe warm, but when it's nearly upto temp they're toasty warm.
Mike
Premium Member

13th Oct 08 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fixed it

Thermostat was stuck open slightly, I think it's been like that all the time I've had the car

Thermostat opens at 92 degrees but since getting the car it's always sat at around 89 degrees. Got the new one fitted before then went out for a good drive, was out about an hour and half and once warmed up (took about 4-5 mins) it never went over 96 degrees (sat in traffic for a bit) or under about 91

New Poll