corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Smoothing and spraying

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Smoothing and spraying
James_H

User status: Offline
28th Oct 08 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right basicly I have a spare set of Corsa B mirrors and I want to smooth and spray them.

Right the question, do I have to sand it down before I smooth? and if I do what do I use?

What shall I use to smooth them? filler? fibreglass?

I want to smooth the mirror so it looks like one whole piece and get rid of them 2 lines on the front of the mirror.

Thanks
adz_gsi

28th Oct 08 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

er i may be wrong here (only done alloys) but id sand it down first with wet n dry and then use body FILLER and then rub down again and then use primer couple of coats of colour and lacquer over the top

[Edited on 28-10-2008 by adz_gsi]
James_H

28th Oct 08 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What grade wet and dry?
Minty_Fresh

28th Oct 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesnt realy matter tbh mate if your going to filler them, if i was you id use to quite course sandpaper so the filler has atleast got something to grip onto...

James_H

28th Oct 08 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok, so sand all down, filler, sand again with less course sand paper, filler primer, sand if i need to, paint and laquer?
Minty_Fresh

28th Oct 08 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i was doing them id sand them all down with decent course sandpaper, get all dust off, filler them, sand down with finer sandpaper (not wet and dry) to see the imperfections, then skim filler over again and sand them down again, keep doing it untill your pretty happy, then go over them with some fine sandpaper till your happy, maybe finish off with some very fine, then high build primer (doesnt have to be but works well) this will show any imperfections, if there is then fill them etc, if not make sure the surface is clean, no dust etc on them, then put a few layers of paint (untill your happy) then laquer (again untill your happy, but a 2/3 coats will be fine, more iff need be)

hope that helps
shaunmods
Premium Member

28th Oct 08 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep sounds about right to me mate. I'd key the surface with some 300/400 grid sand paper then fill the areas you want smoothing. let that go off then using the same 300/400 grid gently sand the filler back until you have the the right shape etc. Then start going over it with a much higher grid such as 600 then 800 to get it nice and smooth. Give it a quick wipe over with some white spirit then give it a couple of light coats of primer followed by a slightly thicker one. let that go off for a few hours then go over it with some 1200 grit wet and dry to get the surface super smooth. Again wipe it down with white spirit then you're ready for paint. Give it a couple of light coats followed by a thicker one. let that dry for a hour or so then give it a thick coat of laquer (dont go to ott though be its easy to get runs when laquering)

After that you might want to let it dry for a couple of days then go over it with some rubbing compound to get a super smooth finish. then polish it up to get it all shiny

edit: damn it Jay beat me to it

[Edited on 28-10-2008 by shaunmods]
James_H

28th Oct 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, cheers mate, will have a go with it tomo!!
Torsa g

28th Oct 08 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you want them like this or do you want to smooth the whole thing
James_H

28th Oct 08 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smooth the whole thing, but as you have on yours with the 2 humps smoothed out.

New Poll