corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Refurbing/Changing Alloys Colour

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Refurbing/Changing Alloys Colour
supremefaulk

User status: Offline
30th Oct 08 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, I wanted to change the colour of my alloys- want to respray them black - and I was wondering how much work is involved if I did it myself?
The wheels arent savagely curbed or anything now, and I have use of a good garage, so can easily leave wheels sitting around to dry.
Cheers for any help
Minty_Fresh

30th Oct 08 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id say a day and about £20 should do it..

supremefaulk

30th Oct 08 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that sounds well within my budget and time frame, so what work is involved?
And wud I need any special paint to do it? Or just any old rattle can?

Thanks so far mk4_boy
Minty_Fresh

31st Oct 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just rattle cans mate..

ive done a few sets in the past on my car and they have always come out veryy good and lasted..

just get a big pack of sandpaper from the pound shop if there is one near you, only saying that as it does the same job and is alot cheaper obviously.

sandpaper £1-£3
high build primer £5.95 (halfords large can)
couple of cans of paint £3.95 x2
couple of cans of laquer £3.95 x2

works out at about £25

sand them down with quite course sandpaper, then go over them with a finer sandpaper, dust them all off well so no dust is left on them (otherwise it will show under paint) then if your happy that the old paint is all dull etc, then mask up the tyre (with either gaffer tape or masking tape, same as the valve) then do a few coats of primer on them, well untill your happy..

leave that to dry

then if your happy do a few coats of paint (with a gap obviously) and then untill there coverd and your happy, then leave them somewhere to air out and dry, if you want you can leave them 24hours, but tbh once they have dried etc i have laquerd them about an hour after i sprayed them, then do some light coats of laquer as it runs quite easy, so do light coats and once again untill your happy with the finish, then leave them for a good hour or so..

how this has helped

heres a few pics of the last set of alloys i sprayed...

supremefaulk

1st Nov 08 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is an awesome little guide! Thanks mate, doing it next weekend now, as things have come up, so will probably take pictures along the way and try and get a little guide up on the tutorials bit!
hopefully! lol.

Thanks for your help! mk4!!

[Edited on 01-11-2008 by supremefaulk]

New Poll