corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Moving out - renting - need help - will i be able to afford?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Moving out - renting - need help - will i be able to afford?
moka

User status: Offline
31st Oct 08 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I have decided to move out asap as i now have a steady full time job after finishing UNI. I have a few questions before i go ahead with anything and i was hoping someone on here who has maybe recently gone through the whole process to give me some advice.

Basically i am on £1084 a month without tax... so about £200 a week or £800 a month after tax... (i think lol)

Im looking at 1 bed flats in my town for around 450 a month... I like 2, ones 425 a month and the other 475 a month but there are some that are 450.

I might move out with the misses but she started UNI this year so will not have a full time job... But has the loans and i think will be entitled to grants and busaries if she moves in with me so that will help... She also works on the weekend.

Am i entitled to any extra help? Benefits...? I understand it depends on how much you earn... but still?

How much is council tax on average?

Is anyone else in same situation? Roughly same money? how much is your outgoings?
Fro

31st Oct 08 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to think about if the rent includes all bills and maintenance etc and do they come fully furnished? And then you also need to think about food shopping etc and then work out how much you would have left over each month and see if you can survive on that whilst still having a social life.

Personally i dont see the point in renting as its 450 a month you could put away each month to put towards a deposit to own your own house etc e/g 450 a month over a year works out to be £5400, i couldnt bare spending that much a eyar to live somewhere i dont own

But it depends on your current circumstances etc

edit: I'm on about 21k a year before tax and i've got no chance of being able to rent in my current situation, but i was a donut and bought a car that i shouldnt really have purchased, but hey live and learn

[Edited on 31-10-2008 by fro-dizzle]
Kathryn W

31st Oct 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My outgoings are about £1200, but thats for a 3 bed - mortgaged.

Your CT Will be discounted.

But no your not entitled to any other benefits as your earning..

I work with a guy, he takes him £904 a month, he rents a 2 bed flat and it costs in £550 a month. He struggles, he finds after he has bought food and paid the bills he can't afford to go on the lash for the weekend, or get regular take aways, new clothes etc..

Can be done though, its just how much money you would feel comfortable with after all your expenses have come out.

Dont forget you need a deposit for renting to..
dannymccann

31st Oct 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On £800 net you will be unlikely to rent for £400+, due to the renters ratio. They may allow it with a guarantor but that will depend on the agency. Your bills will be per month

Rent 450
Gas + Elec 60
Council Tax 65/70 (single persons discount whether missus moves in or not)
Water 30 (unmetered)
TV License 20
BT Phone and Broadband 26
Food 150

All that is £806 a month, leaving no room for car tax, insurance petrol, contents insurance, social life, and £150 a month for food gets you the basics if you will cook all your meals, so no takeaways included in there.

Btw I rent with the missus and Im a uni student so know all about it But together we are on £20k gross so its a bit easier. Any grants or loans for your missus are not taken into account btw for the renters ratio as they are classed as disposable income (could spend it all today if you wanted to)
moka

31st Oct 08 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok im on 15k a year from dec 1st (went temp to perm so slight payrise from 14.1k)

Which means £1250 a month
£312 a week before tax

So probably around 950-1000 a month after tax.

She would be earning about £300 a month from her weekend jobs plus have her loan which most students use to pay rent anyway, plus she would be entitled to the grants and busaries which is a fair amount! So we will probably split the rent 50/50 (obviously we need to sit down and work it allllll out).

Bit worried about this 'renters ratio'! going to look into it now.

[Edited on 31-10-2008 by moka]
dannymccann

31st Oct 08 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant find anything on google about it let me see if i can remember

edit - its something like you must earn at least 30x the monthly rent in gross income, so in your case, 15000/30 in theory you should be able to rent up to £500 a month MAX, on that you would probably be struggling though

[Edited on 31-10-2008 by dannymccann]

New Poll