corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » air horn :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author air horn :)
alexm

User status: Offline
19th Nov 08 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought it would be funny to buy an airhorn off eBay... (dont start flaming me)

Its a dual-tone one, comes with the compressor and relay.

Im just wondering what the best way to go about wiring it up would be, whilst still keeping my existing horn and not touching the buttons.

I have a blanking plate for where front fog lights would go so hoping to stick a rocker switch or the like there to turn it on, but i could do with a hand on exactly how to wire it in.

Any ideas appreciated... cheers

Alex
Forbes789

20th Nov 08 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy enuff mate, live from the battery, to an inline fues, run this tyhrough the gromet at the driver side, to a switch, run the other wire from the switch back into the engine bay, this one is the feed for your compressor and run the negative to the chassis

job done easy without the relay, if your using the relay you gota lot of wiring to do.

then slap in a 20 amp fuse, if you did it right should work
oceansoul

20th Nov 08 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or use the relay so u dont have to have cabling to carry 20A or whatever. If u did it that way, you'd risk melting the cableling and whe switch. Its not that much harder to use a relay, and its there for a reason. Ill draw up a diagram when i get home.
pow
Premium Member

20th Nov 08 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a relay for a 20A feed.
oceansoul

20th Nov 08 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a fuse to the rating of the Relay on the first leg and to the rating of the air horn on the second leg. Thats all there is to it. Relays are great things
D-A-V-E-

20th Nov 08 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a friend who got an air horn and I loved it...so got mine before I got the car....thing i didn't realise was his was triple tone and mine was two-tone...hated it sooo bad
alexm

21st Nov 08 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right so basically theres gonna be 4 prongs on this relay im not too sure what goes where in relation to that diagram, the only relay ive ever seen is on a bike and that was an indicator one with two prongs so it was simple!!!

I dont think ill run without a relay, at the end of the day that is a fair bit of draw, and its either melt my wires and get loud horn or get manly wires and have current loss im guessing?

alexm

21st Nov 08 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump bump
oceansoul

21st Nov 08 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont "lose" any current through a relay. What it does is switch a high current device using a low current switch.

Basicly, the relay should be numbered 85 86 87 and 30 (maybe a 5th pin labled 87a but thats no needed)

Right, take an ignition live from somewhere as this will be adequatly fused (the relay draws only 150mA) and connect that to a push to make switch then connect the other side of that to pin 86. Connect pin 85 to ground. Thats the "coil" part of the relay sorted. When u press the button the coil energises and closes the contacts 87 to 30.
So connect pin 87 to the battery Via your 20A fuse then pin 30 to the live side of your air horn, then ground the other side.

hth

alexm

22nd Nov 08 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for taking the time to gimme a hand here, it hasnt come through yet.

But what im thinking of doing, (seeing as i dont have a cigerette lighter, i just stuck a blanking plate there)... take the live for the cigerette lighter, route it round somehow, get it through the grommet into the engine bay, and just stick a push button in where the cigerette lighter is.

its this one, eBay item: 200277388916

What sort of wire is the best to be using, (i dont wanna be using something not heavy enough)!! Is Maplin a good place to look?
oceansoul

22nd Nov 08 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye, if you use the live supply that would go to the lighter to a switch in the blanking plate then from the otherside of the switch to terminal 86. Mount the relay in the bay, and run you wire through the grommet etc You'll be fine using 1.5mm cable (although you could prolly use 1mm). Any place that sells wires really...maplins, rs, etc (dont use halfrauds its rip off prices), use *insert live wire colour here* wire if u wanna keep the wire colours the same etc. but any colour will do
alexm

22nd Nov 08 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers alot mate thats helped alot, ur an asset to the forum!
oceansoul

23rd Nov 08 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs

New Poll