corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Can you help before I go and buy another pc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can you help before I go and buy another pc.
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
4th Dec 08 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right -our pc at work is fooked.

Heres roughly what has happened.

Internet Explorer started constantly bringing up pop ups. No pop up blocker, adaware, spyware doctor, norton ect would help.

I installed Firefox which worked fine.

Our Norton subscription ran out, the computer would not let us install new noton 360 software and would still not let us install any other virus protection or any other programme of any type on the pc.

Firefox then started to get hit with loads of pop ups.

Windows and my entire desktop then suddenly disappeared - I have a screen saver but nothing else. I have to open up all my applications by using task manager/run.

Other problems are bt connect phoning us to say our email is sending out 10000 spam emails a day and if we dont sort it they will suspend our internet.

Basically the computer is riddled with spyware and viruses that I can not get rid of. I can not get to control panel, I can not perform a system restore either

Heres where my expertise ends.

Questions.....

1- Is it worth trying to format the computer - there is nothing on the computer that I need to back up- everything can be deleted if it is worth trying.

2-If you think its worth trying to wipe the computer - how do I do this? Never done it before so step by step guide would be helpful.

3- If you reckon its new pc time then whats the best deal about on a new tower unit by itself?

Cheers.
Brett
Premium Member

4th Dec 08 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 & 2 are the same thing and will sort out your problem. No need for a new machine because of some spyware.
Whittie

4th Dec 08 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Delete your temp internet files / cookies for a start.

Then run Ad Aware 6.0 (Free from internet)

You can do this in safe mode if the computer doesn't let you on etc...
Dr Pepper

4th Dec 08 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably should expand a little more.

Basically the computer is riddled with spyware and viruses that I can not get rid of. I can not get to control panel, I can not perform a system restore either. I have tried running MSCONFIG and disabling startup programmes - this doesnt work and there are at least ten programmes in the startup list which shouldnt be there but will not allow themselves to be removed.

Deleting temp files and cookies doeas nothing

The computer will not let me install adaware.
Brett
Premium Member

4th Dec 08 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just format the PC. It will sort it.
AlunJ

4th Dec 08 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just format and reinstall windows, always works, deffo no need to buy a new one just because of spyware/viruses. Theres very little a format won't sort

edit: lol brett beat me to it

[Edited on 04-12-2008 by AlunJ]
Dr Pepper

4th Dec 08 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right- thats pretty much the conclusion I had come to.

How the hell do I format a pc? Im assuming its not too difficult but how do I actually do it.
Dr Pepper

4th Dec 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and I dont have the original factory disk for this pc- my boss lost all the system and windows disks before I started working here
Brett
Premium Member

4th Dec 08 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah well, you're buggered then

Just get hold of an XP disc, stick it in the machine, boot from it and follow the instructions. Pretty easy.
Dr Pepper

4th Dec 08 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok

New Poll