corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Mac compatible CD/DVD RW drive.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mac compatible CD/DVD RW drive.
Joe

User status: Offline
9th Dec 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically the side loading CD/DVD drive on my Mac has packed up, Apple staff are useless and make out like its no big deal to stroll around town carrying a desktop computer into the shop to get it fixed, plus it seems like they think its a software issue. Something is defo broke inside as it won't take the CD's in properly. So rather than fuck about I'm thinking I could get just an external CD/DVD re-writer for a decent price to save the hassle.

I would have a look myself, but I've looked on the net and you have to take the LCD screen out to get to the internal's which I don't really fancy doing too much.

Can anyone point me in the direction of one that would be ok, do they have to be specific for Mac's as frankly I don't have a clue.

Any help would be apprectiated.

[Edited on 09-12-2008 by Joe]
pow
Premium Member

9th Dec 08 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man up and take the LCD screen out

Other than that, wouldn't any firewire/usb one do?
Joe

9th Dec 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it didn't involve taking the screen off, I'd happily open it up and have a look but no thanks.

I have no idea mate, thats what I'm asking. I don't know the first thing about computers so just looking for opinions.
deano87

9th Dec 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll pass this onto a mate who is a Mac Technician, should be able to give you an answer, other than going to a store, such as Regent Street, where he works
deano87

10th Dec 08 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is his reply.

quote:
yes, they can to some extend.

if they use 10.5 (leopard) it is drive independent. for every other OS i would check specifically.

apart from that, depending on the machine...if it is still in warranty, insist that they check it. doesnt sound like a software issue, to be honest. it is a stupid excuse in my opinion.

apart from that, if he can use a screwdrive, he can get almost any slot-loading optical drive and build it in himself. can get him a manual if he wants...but need some more info on the unit...

and

quote:
oh, and taking out the lcd is not a big deal...all he needs is a t6 and a t8 to get the 4 screws out (plus 2 for the lvds cable)[/img]

They're obviously well trained to get you in store
Joe

10th Dec 08 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers deano. I guess I'll have to try them again, see if I get someone more helpful.

New Poll