corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Ebay rules

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ebay rules
antnee

User status: Offline
24th Dec 08 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have seen my topic in Geek Day then you will know I got a sat nav off ebay, it arrived this morning with a broken screen.

Item link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290283065143&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Right, contacted the seller about it, they seemed all fine until they asked what I wanted done about it, I said it would cost too much to repair so a refund is the only option

And I got this reply
'Well, the charge for postage was only £1.99, which was for first class mail only, with no insurance offered/included and a no refunds clause. All this was clear on the listing. Checking the royal mail website it seems they offer .'compensation for damaged items from a minimum of 100 1st class stamps (about £35 I s'pose), but you'd have to claim that back. I posted the item from our post room at work, so when I'm back in work in the new year I will ask and see if they have a certificate of posting for it

Under the returns policy it does say 'The seller will not accept returns for this item' but I know from working for an auctioneers, that if the item is not as descriped then a full refund is in order.

But the part of 'compensation for damaged items from a minimum of 100 1st class stamps (about £35 I s'pose), but you'd have to claim that back. I posted the item from our post room at work, so when I'm back in work in the new year I will ask and see if they have a certificate of posting for it' is making out its my problem.

SOOOO where do I stand? It is the sellers responsibility to ensure the item arrives in good condition, right?
Warren G

24th Dec 08 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you pay via pay pal?

contact email and paypal
antnee

24th Dec 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, always pay through paypal

Just sent them this reply

'Right, 2 problems there,

1, Its YOUR responsibilty to ensure the item gets to me in working order, YOU have to pack it correctly in order for it to not get damaged. Also if you don't choose to get insurance you lose out. Thats why they ask you if you go to the post office, 'is it worth more than £35?'

2, Also it is against the law to sell something as it has been described.

So a refund is in order, of £42.97 back into my paypal account'
daymoon
Premium Member

24th Dec 08 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was in that box there is no way it would get damaged. i am sure it was like that befoe he packed it. there are some right badgers on ebay. just open a dispute in paypal, because it is not as described. and use "buyer is always right" rule.
Ben G

24th Dec 08 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your in the right, he's in the wrong.

is his responsibility to make sure he packages it correctly. ok fair enough some items do unfortunately get damaged while in transit, but that's what postal insurance is for.

tell him to sort it out, it's not your problem.
Gareth F

26th Dec 08 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So has no one else noticed the screen is broken in the picture then?........
When you crack screen like that the screen colour changes due to the damage
(and oh look a purply mark across the screen exactly where its broken....)
Hes having you on bud.
jrsteeve

26th Dec 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt worry massively mate because paypal is pretty good on behalf of buyers.
The item was either missold or damaged in transit, which are both due to them.
antnee

26th Dec 08 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All I can see on the screen on the pic on ebay is a reflection which is just left of where the screen is broken.

Ive started a paypal dispute as this was the last messege I got from the seller

quote:

The item was indeed as described. Any damage occurred either in transit or whilst it was in your hands. The item was adequately packaged. In fact the manufacturer's own packaging was used. Also, you have confirmed to me by email already that the packaging was damaged. I don't know why you are blaming me, I would blame your heavy-handed postman. Check my feedback. I am not in the habit of sending items with poor packaging. In fact the feedback I received last night from another satisfied buyer says "Well packaged". As for insurance the listing clearly stated no insurance was provided. It is the buyer's choice on whether to bid on items with no insurance offered. You could have bid on a similar item with special delivery included, for £10 more. But you didn't. I suggest you save the packaging and contact royal mail for your compensation.

Brown paper around the standard box isn't adequately packaged, as all that is protecting the screen is a thin bit of cardboard!
John

26th Dec 08 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paypal dispute and leave him bad feedback, he can't leave it back.
Aaron

26th Dec 08 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
he can't leave it back.

Sneeky Sneeky

Might be an idea to give him a small threat to leave the feedback first...just to see if that changes his stance on the situation.

Then, no matter the outcome....leave it anyway
John

26th Dec 08 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He could on the other hand be totally genuine.

If he's posted that working it is the fault of the royal mail and up to you to claim it back, he could be more helpful though.
antnee

26th Dec 08 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He seems genuine but just unhelpful
Welsh Dan

26th Dec 08 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is the sellers responsibility to ensure that the item is insured correctly. I never pay for insurance as a buyer, as if it breaks or doesn't get here, I claim via Paypal.

Interestingly, given that I used to work for Royal Mail Customer Services, and specifically the team that dealt with eBay cases, we normally refused to pay the buyer of the item, on the basis that it generally cost us less to refund the seller (unless of course, the seller refuses point blank to claim.). In addition, if he's charged you for postage and used his companies mail room, i'd be having a word with him about that as he is unlikely to actually have paid any postage........

[Edited on 26-12-2008 by Welsh Dan]
strick206

26th Dec 08 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll win the claim via paypal, email him telling him about the paypal claim

He is arguing over 10quid He should just sort the refund out and get 35 back from royal mail, small loss but that's his own fault
Bram

26th Dec 08 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave bad feedback asap, that'll make him squirm a bit! The couple of Paypal disputes I've had in the past have all been resolved in my favour and pretty quickly. You're definately entitled to a refund
antnee

26th Dec 08 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill see what he does through paypal, I did just ask him for the item cost over ebay messeges, but added in for the postage too through paypal cos hes a cunt
R1CH

26th Dec 08 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate paypal disputes!

I had a buyer, who bought some suspension off me, he said he didnt receive them.

As I sent them recorded I got proof. added to my part of the paypal claim. and they still gave him his money back! and I lost the suspension and the money!

[Edited on 26-12-2008 by R1CH]
Colin

26th Dec 08 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The seller will need to refund you & then claim off royal mail himself as the item was sent by him, therefore hes entered into a contract for the royal mail to deliver his parcel, not you. So Royal Mail wont deal with you only him.

Id give neg feedback & start a paypal claim.
antnee

26th Dec 08 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a paypal dispute going now, will send him a messege through ebay now too

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Ebay rules 22 database queries in 0.0181150 seconds