corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Excellent book on our forces in Iraq - "Sniper One"

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Excellent book on our forces in Iraq - "Sniper One"
radicalry00

User status: Offline
14th Jan 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a book called "Sniper One: The Blistering True Story Of A British Battle Group Under Siege" last week and haven't put it down since. (For me that's amazing as I do not read in my spare time - I've only ever read books for school/college.)

It has to be the most detailed, emotional and thought-provoking account of warfare that I've experienced.

It's the story of Sgt Dan Mills and the rest of the 1st Batallion of The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment. They went over to Iraq to occupy the city of Al Amarah on a so called "peace keeping tour" but they were soon fighting for their lives. It includes detailed accounts of both their sniper missions and foot patrols and their main objective is to protect a coalition stronghold knows as Cimic House and it becomes the most intense the British army has fought in 50 years. Awesome descriptions of Iraqi insurgents heads being blown to pieces and mid-sections being ripped apart by .50 cal rifles.

Worth a read and only £4.99 from play.com: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3563690/Sniper-One/Product.html

64 reviews, all of them five stars. Great book, highly recommended.
J4M13

14th Jan 09 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you like the book you should have a gander at the dvd 'Andy McNabs Tour of duty' has stories and footage of operations in iraq and afghan. Absolutely amazing watch.
The Cimic house Op is one of the episodes on there.
radicalry00

14th Jan 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks I may invest in that. What sort of things are covered in the other episodes?
J4M13

14th Jan 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well theres about 5-6hours worth of episodes, covers a couple different operations each episode which include mainly british forces but there are a few involving us forces.
I lent it to a mate the other month, from what i can remember theres episodes involving - being ambushed, the cimic house episode, man down, IED's(roadside bombs etc) theres some crazy footage of those going off under vehicles.
Some of the dvd is pretty emotional aswell when troops are killed and there fellow troops are talking about it to the camera, especially the Man Down episode.
J4M13

14th Jan 09 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

heres the dvd on youtube if you dont mind watching it in 10min sections.

Clicky click
Conway563

15th Jan 09 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suggested this book to my brother last night as he's off to the army soon. Said he got it the day it came out and stayed up all night to read it as he couldn't put it down
Think I may nick it off him and have a look
C2RL R

15th Jan 09 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ordered!
C2RL R

20th Jan 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this book just arrived and i've read the first 15 or so pages already.....it's fucking brilliant!
AdZ9

20th Jan 09 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Weird, this is the book i've started reading and i never read books, i only bought it because i needed somethign for holiday but never got round to it
radicalry00

20th Jan 09 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
this book just arrived and i've read the first 15 or so pages already.....it's fucking brilliant!

Glad you're enjoying it. It just gets better and better IMO. I just found all of it interesting. I had respect for our forces before I read it but after realising what they experience out there I'm amazed. How they just get on with the job no matter what makes them all heroes in my eyes.

Adz, get it read. I might have a second browse through it. Definately worth reading.

[Edited on 20-01-2009 by radicalry00]
radicalry00

20th Jan 09 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw, Jamie, I ordered the Andy Mcnab DVD and watched the first disc yesterday. I thought it was an excellent account of CIMIC house. Going to watch the rest tonight.
C2RL R

20th Jan 09 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a list of people at work wanting to borrow it. Tight bastard's never buy anythin themselves. I've got a feeling i'll be reading it more than once so i aint lending it to anyone! I'll prob have it finished by tomorrow night.
MoesTavern

21st Jan 09 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can never get into this sort of book, they all seem to follow the same format. Loads of fucking swearing, and everybody has a hard nickname like Fifty Fucks or Mr Pastry. Not my cup of tea tbh, I prefer factual accounts without the Boom! Bang! Arrghh! noises.

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by MoesTavern]
Ojc

21st Jan 09 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of the blokes in the army do have nicknames though
radicalry00

21st Jan 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoesTavern
Can never get into this sort of book, they all seem to follow the same format. Loads of fucking swearing, and everybody has a hard nickname like Fifty Fucks or Mr Pastry. Not my cup of tea tbh, I prefer factual accounts without the Boom! Bang! Arrghh! noises.

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by MoesTavern]

I understand where you're coming from but, to be honest, I'd be swearing quite a lot in their situation.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Excellent book on our forces in Iraq - "Sniper One" 22 database queries in 0.0138011 seconds