corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » BA Pair Quizzed Over 'Hit-And-Run'

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BA Pair Quizzed Over 'Hit-And-Run'
Anty
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Jan 09 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two British Airways employees have been arrested over an alleged "hit-and-run" involving a plane at Heathrow.

The pair were in a 10-ton baggage truck which allegedly collided with a BA Airbus A321 aircraft last Friday morning.

However, the staff members reportedly failed to tell anyone about the incident.

Damage to the fuselage was spotted by Heathrow ground staff later that night when the aircraft was preparing for take-off.

The plane, bound for Aberdeen and with 80 passengers on board, was immediately taken out of service.

BA has confirmed that two employees have been interviewed by police and released on bail pending further investigations.

"Two members of our ground staff based at Heathrow were arrested following an incident where one of our aircraft was damaged," a company spokeswoman said.

"The two staff members have been given a precautionary suspension, without prejudice, while the police carry out their investigation."
mattk

14th Jan 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit suspect if you ask me
MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also how was the damage only spotted when the plane was taxiing. I assume the pilot has to do a "walk round" pre flight check to check that the plane is in good nick?
Robin
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 19:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
I assume the pilot has to do a "walk round" pre flight check to check that the plane is in good nick?

Yeah, like every person who gets a company van is supposed to do the same every day.
MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
I assume the pilot has to do a "walk round" pre flight check to check that the plane is in good nick?

Yeah, like every person who gets a company van is supposed to do the same every day.

That is a ridiculous comparison. If white van man doesnt spot the dent in the side of his van nothing happens. If a pilot doesn't spot the dent in the side of his plane, he dies and so does his passengers and those on the ground he hits too.

IMHO.
Matt L

14th Jan 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why can i imagine a pilot walking around the plane kicking the tyres with his hands in his pockets going 'hmm yeh she'll do'
dannymccann

14th Jan 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
why can i imagine a pilot walking around the plane kicking the tyres with his hands in his pockets going 'hmm yeh she'll do'

Thats what I was thinking
Robin
Premium Member

14th Jan 09 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

That is a ridiculous comparison. If white van man doesnt spot the dent in the side of his van nothing happens. If a pilot doesn't spot the dent in the side of his plane, he dies and so does his passengers and those on the ground he hits too.

IMHO.

It's not for cosmetic damage you moron, if you have a work van, you're supposed to check it for mechanical fitness daily, not panel damage I would expect the pilot to have to do something similar, but my example was given as an illustration of something which is supposed to be done but may not be.
sand-eel

14th Jan 09 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty sure it's only in the RAF that the pilots look around the plane because it's assigned to them, it's their responsability.
commercial pilots have "monkeys" that are supposed to do it themselves.
MarkM

14th Jan 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

IMHO.

It's not for cosmetic damage you moron, if you have a work van, you're supposed to check it for mechanical fitness daily, not panel damage I would expect the pilot to have to do something similar, but my example was given as an illustration of something which is supposed to be done but may not be.

Moron?

Illustration yes... Sensible...no.
oceansoul

14th Jan 09 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i belive actually that the pilot is responsible for doing all the pre flight checks. although i doubt that means manually moving the elevators etc like i had to do on me atc flying schlorship lol
ed

14th Jan 09 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The captain is legally responsible to follow the checklist of pre-flight inspections. These will be checking the fuselage, control surfaces, lights, vents, pitot tubes e.t.c...
ed

14th Jan 09 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, 'damage to the fuselage' means absolutely fuck all. It could mean that there is a scrape down it that doesn't matter too much, or it could mean torn out panels and gaping holes...
liamC

15th Jan 09 at 07:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » BA Pair Quizzed Over 'Hit-And-Run' 22 database queries in 0.0139072 seconds