corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » people over reacting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author people over reacting
ssj_kakarot

User status: Offline
18th Jan 09 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seriously have you noticed how much people over react or just eat up any scare mongering at all.

there was a post on another forum i frequent, just a simple link to some random "pc expert" who stated basically if your selling a pc to someone people can get "important info " and rob you ect from your harddrive even if its formatted.

well obviously you can retrieve deleted data after a format but i meen the chances of something bad happening or a criminal gettin the pc and knowing how to use data recoevery software ect is very small as is getting anything useful from said hardrive.

the bit that bothers me was about 60+ replies from people (mostly middle aged +) saying how basically they have smashed there harddrive and/or pc to pieces when they bought a new one, over reaction slightly

any way i posted in the thread saying basically stop worying no one is going to have any thing bad happen realistically and i got told i dont know what im talking about and have no idea about pcs

[Edited on 18-01-2009 by ssj_kakarot]
Kurt

18th Jan 09 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keyboard Warriors.
ssj_kakarot

18th Jan 09 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Keyboard Warriors.

see there not lol i meen there just really gulliable people who believe anything bad they read as do a lot of people, rather than actually using logic to think about a problem just blindly believe it, sad times.
Neo

18th Jan 09 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Explain simply, when you sell a pc, replace the hard drive and keep the old one, for the sake of £30 for a new drive its worth it, especially if they dont get stressed.

Or really scare them and explain how regardless of if you smash a drive enough, you can always find some bits of data, entire government sectors watching your every move etc

Or just dont use that site and ignore it
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Jan 09 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What they're saying is essentially correct and if you go on there and claim that your data won't fall in to criminal hands and it's not a problem then you are essentially incorrect.

Thing to remember is that most people, when they sell a computer, will leave a few forum passwords and perhaps a small music collection. These people don't really need to worry.

If however you have a large collection of illegal images and MSN chat logs of you pretending to be a 15 year old then obviously you're in a different position when it comes to getting rid of your hardware. Consider that some of these people may be in the latter category.
Jay

18th Jan 09 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed

19th Jan 09 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those dumb bints on Loose Women were talking about this the other day. I almost wanted to go and get my fathers gun, drive down to the TV studios and put a bullet in their heads. The shit that was falling out of their mouths was unbelievable, and the most annoying thing was that they were give airtime on television to spout on about things they clearly didn't understand a thing about with their inane chit chat.
ed

19th Jan 09 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.dban.org/
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 09 at 00:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you will watch daytime TV.
ed

19th Jan 09 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reminds me why I shouldn't be near a television during the daytime tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Jan 09 at 00:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reminds me why I don't own one.
ssj_kakarot

19th Jan 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
What they're saying is essentially correct and if you go on there and claim that your data won't fall in to criminal hands and it's not a problem then you are essentially incorrect.

Thing to remember is that most people, when they sell a computer, will leave a few forum passwords and perhaps a small music collection. These people don't really need to worry.

If however you have a large collection of illegal images and MSN chat logs of you pretending to be a 15 year old then obviously you're in a different position when it comes to getting rid of your hardware. Consider that some of these people may be in the latter category.

i wasnt saying there computer could not fall into criminal hands, i was saying have some common sense and relize the very very small chance that it would actually fall into a compotent criminal who could do this and that there is never really going to be anythimng usefull recoevered from the harddrive.

pow
Premium Member

19th Jan 09 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think that is overreacting honestly.
Ash_EP3

19th Jan 09 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

i wasnt saying there computer could not fall into criminal hands, i was saying have some common sense and relize the very very small chance that it would actually fall into a compotent criminal who could do this and that there is never really going to be anythimng usefull recoevered from the harddrive.

As Ian said it all depends what sort of data/info they have on their hard drives - if you have a word document called (Banking info) and that is found then yes maybe you might be in the shit if someone got their hands on it

A lecturer at college said he has some software which can salvage files even if you've formatted it god knows how many times... (up to 36 times I think he said)

but yea the chances of someone doing it is pretty low

I'd have thought that the best way to get rid of it would be fire...
Daimo B

19th Jan 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I dont think that is overreacting honestly.

Agreed.

People are far to ignorent of keeping data safe. Adding mobile numbers, email addresses, passwords, bank details etc.....

And yes, as said, they are right. It was introduced by the Brits actually (MOD I think) as a way of forensic investigations into equipment.

You can actually wipe this outer layer as well if you've got the right software.

But as said, take out HDD, put new one in if your that worried. I wouldn't smash it either, just connect it to my new machine??
Jay

19th Jan 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smashed my old PC tower up and took it to the tip! Better safe than sorry, especially with all those chat logs
Robin
Premium Member

19th Jan 09 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fire > hammers.

However, hammer sales have probably gone up. It's a conspiracy

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by Robin]
andy1868

19th Jan 09 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like a rumour started by the hammer companies then, everybodys up to no good these days

just 0-disc it, when you format your drive, only a certain amount of it will be used (with the operating system) the rest of the data thats been "deleted" is still there, its just been marked down as space on the hard-drive that can be overwritten, until it is overwritten by something else, the old data remains. 0 disc overwrites everything with a number 0 so nothing is recoverable.

failing that, just keep hold of the drive in a drawer or at the bottom of a river or something

[Edited on 19-01-2009 by andy1868]
Bonney

19th Jan 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i got my new computer, i smashed it up only through boredmn!
Tiger

19th Jan 09 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've got an old microwave at work that eats up our old hard drives, put it in, 2 maybe 3 seconds and all is gone, never to be recovered.
M2RTY

20th Jan 09 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a hammer on all of our old work ones, just 'cos its fun

we have to wipe them all too, using 0 fill or something similar, but can never be too safe really working on a chemical site
M2RTY

20th Jan 09 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and I use an intrinsically safe hammer too....
pow
Premium Member

20th Jan 09 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tend to take the disks out of the hard drives at work and bin the shells, scratch the disks and then bin the disks separatly.
liamC

20th Jan 09 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Reminds me why I don't own one.

Stolen?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » people over reacting 22 database queries in 0.0145290 seconds