corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car Dealer sold my mate a car with broken engine. Advice wanted.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car Dealer sold my mate a car with broken engine. Advice wanted.....
johnhara1

User status: Offline
21st Jan 09 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sisters boyfriend bought an 02 registered Ford Focus from a well known auto park in Newcastle. It has less than 60k on the clock and he was given 30 days warranty.

Since day one the car has had a severe missfire, stutters and does not drive well. (please dont start with the "should have test driven it" stuff - he has had all the this from me!)

Anyway so he went to take the car back and he was told the company had went bankrupt and was no longer trading. With this info he phoned the finance company who got in touch with the car dealership to find they had not ceased trading, they had simply moved to a different patch within the park. (attempt to fob my mate off)

So the car dealer then phones my mate (he was really nervous on the phone, panicing and stuttering after the finance company contacted him) and takes the car in to be looked at. When my mate gets it back it's no different at all so once again he returns it. Again he gets it back with a receipt for more work (minor stuff like ignition leads) but the problem is still there.

Now he's pissed off, the car dealership are trying to fob him off until the 30 day warranty expires. So he phones the finance company to say he wants to cancel it before he starts paying. With what's went on, the finance company send out their engineer who diagnoses the problem to be the cylinder head. He also points out that the car couldnt have possibly passed an MOT in this condition (he found a few other faults). The engineer told my mate he had an excellent case for giving the car back and not having to take the finance. He said he'd be in touch with the car dealership and then get back to my mate.

NOW THE SHOCKING BIT..........

My mate recieves a letter from the finance company saying that the engineer says that my mate should have expected this problem due to the age of the car, therefore he can not cancel the finance and he must pay for the repairs out of his own pocket.

I think the engineer has took a back hander from the garage!

What would you do in this situation? He hasn't started paying for the car yet either.

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by johnhara1]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs proof of what the engineer said in the first place to have a leg to stand on?

How long is left on the warranty?

Try returning as being unfit for the intended use.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Brett
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me, i'd park the car back at their place and give them the keys. Then cancel the debit for finance and see them in court.
Eck
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be getting on the phone to Trading Standards!
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daniel - This is what i said! - He didnt get anything back tho.

Brett - I have told him to do this too. Id go with him.

He is threatening to go to the chronicle (our local paper)
ed

21st Jan 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it back, and tell them you don't want it. It's not fit for purpose and an 02 reg car should not be fucked. It's not old and the engine should be able to take another 200k miles before it's fucked in all honesty.

Trading standards fo sho.
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck - Yes we will but i think they'll just say what Daniel did.
fazza

21st Jan 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
If it was me, i'd park the car back at their place and give them the keys. Then cancel the debit for finance and see them in court.

+1
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed - I was considering taking it too ford, getting them to diagnose the fault and poss get it in writing that this fault is NOT to be expected on an 02 car.
strick206

21st Jan 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can return the car because it's unfit to do what it is supposed to do

Also, i would get back onto the finance company and kick up another fuss, because if the engineer said that and has then said something differently, they may be able to help

Also, i dont think the engineer will fancy standing up in court and saying what he said in that letter after what he told your mate, so start to threaten court proceedings etc and get onto trading standards, need to make everything official before the warranty runs out
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta lads.
Cosmo

21st Jan 09 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id also consider getting it to another garage so they can carry out a full inspection (will cost money but may be able to claim it back), that way you can clearly point out the faults.

Oh, and its fob not fod.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the MoT was carried out by the garage contact VOSA.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo - i know i wrote it wrong twice! missed them in the edit too. FFS!
Lynny

21st Jan 09 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've heard a few bad things about auto park. Similar stories.
strick206

21st Jan 09 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
If the MoT was carried out by the garage contact VOSA.

That's true also, if they did the MOT they will have had to pass it with it being unfit for road use, so another probelm they may face
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill threaten them with this also.

Cheers
johnhara1

21st Jan 09 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Alex_NSM

Since this has happened to my mate, all sorts of stories have popped up about this auto park. Shame nobody opened thier mouth before eh.

Lynny

21st Jan 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
quote:
Originally posted by Alex_NSM

Since this has happened to my mate, all sorts of stories have popped up about this auto park. Shame nobody opened thier mouth before eh.

this was about 3-4 years ago when i last had anything to do with them, would have thought theyd sorted things out or wouldnt still be trading!
Andy Stocker

21st Jan 09 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contact BBC's Rogue Traders
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
Ill threaten them with this also.

Cheers

Don't threaten, book the inspection and tell them. They're playing hard ball.

If it's not fit to pass an MoT then it shouldn't have been sold. That alone means it wasn't fit for purpose (Trades Descriptions), therefore can cancel your finance agreement and it would probably stand in court in your favour.

A fault in the cylinder head wouldn't pass an emissions test a few weeks beforehand.

I'd be closing the bank account and dumping the car with them, isn't there normally a cooling off period for a vehicle purchase on finance? They might charge you an admin fee, lose your deposit etc but you'll have to swallow that.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Sam
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Welcome Car Finance?
Anty
Premium Member

21st Jan 09 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the trading standerds in
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
Needs proof of what the engineer said in the first place to have a leg to stand on?

How long is left on the warranty?

Try returning as being unfit for the intended use.

yeh sga 1979 s14(3) fit for purpose is iirc! also if he relied on the garages desciption he can say it was an implied term the car was in good working order under s13!

However from remebering back to my studies at uni there is something to do with a reasonable inspection and whether if the inspection was not sufficient then they cannot claim as the ownus is on the purchaser to look over/drive the car when buying...rather than a reliance on words
Colin

21st Jan 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett

x2

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car Dealer sold my mate a car with broken engine. Advice wanted..... 23 database queries in 0.0134561 seconds