corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Economic meltdown

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Economic meltdown
Colin

User status: Offline
25th Jan 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now that its been officially declared we are in recession, How long do you think it will last?

Previous blips in the economy have lasted around 3 years & some 'experts' have predicted this time around we could be in for a 5 year stint before any sustained economic growth can occur.

I know alot of folk on here are of the thought 'its done me no harm so far', but were only at the begining of this downturn, no one knows the full extent of what will happen.

5 years is a long time of uncertainty.

I plan to stop reading the papers, watching the news reports of the 'credit crunch'. I hate those words, sounds like some kind of breakfast cereal. I'll carry on spending according to my means as I always have & if I loose my job, be prepared to take any job going to pay the bills!! As I have before!! If everyone freezes their spending it will just make things worse.

Thoughts?
CorsAsh

25th Jan 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My aim at the moment is to pay off my English debts, I've no issues here but I need to clear what's left of the bill for my rebuild etc.

Don't want to be left with that if the worst happens and we end up with cutbacks.
Adge

25th Jan 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"its done me no harm so far" but like u said, u hear that much about it,
it does play on the mind alittle, being a homeowner aswell worries me, if i lost my job i wud obv lose my home as i have no saving!
i will still carry on spending my wage every week tho, as i have no choice about that lol!
corsa120

25th Jan 09 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my thoughts exactly colin not gonna change my spending pattern at all, my job seems secure at the mo we are just in middle of having a new 3 million pound building being made and my boss just brought x2 new cnc machines costing 1.5 million a piece so company seems to be going ok far as i know..

but im treating life as if its not happened and will do any job like you to make ends meat.....

my only problem is i want conservatory on my house and dont think ill be lent the money but ohh well thats life..
Colin

25th Jan 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally I would like to have moved house this year into something bigger, realisticly I cant see it happening for another 18-24 months (if all is ok job wise).

I think it would be a good idea to retain a small mortgage through these times.

All other spending is continuing as planned. Holidays, cars, going out food shop, everything really.

[Edited on 25-01-2009 by Colin]
Carl

25th Jan 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you said Colin, I'm carrying on as normal, eating away at the debts I have, (all interest free) Saving up for a new car before my mot runs out in Sept, whilst doing the usual stuff like a holiday to Gran Canaria on Thursday. My new job is a year long contract, but that just gives me more motivation to do it well and make sure i'm an asset.
deano87

25th Jan 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember the media black out for Prince Harry going to Iraq/Aghan? I think they should have done the same about the UK economy. If they had lied, and said we aren't in a recession (i.e. growth had increased) general consumer spending would have undoubtedly increased for the better.

How does it affect me? Well, I'm "financially stable" at the moment because I'm a student and have minimum Maintenance Loan plus live at home. But my struggle is going to be finding a job when I graduate in May/June.

I know it won't be easy but luckily 1) I have over 1 years experience essentially doing what I want to do, therefore 1 year ahead of most graduates 2) I'm in the field of Marketing, Marcomms, PR etc. Whilst redundancies are being made and companies aren't necessarily recruiting, where is the logic is not employing your marketing department, when it's their job to find new openings etc etc.

I'm hopeful of employment, but it will be tough. The effect of not being employed just means I won't be able to spend as much, nor start saving to get really financially stable and take the big step for a mortgage.

We'll see what happens.
N3CRO

25th Jan 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad has lost all his overtime now so thats like taking a 40% pay cut. Its starting to affect us a little now.
corsa120

25th Jan 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know its hard but you should never rely on overtime as an income, before this economic problem even was about i was doing 50-60hours overtime like ur dad gettin upto 40% extra and it basically stopped almost instantly not because of economic problems because they emplyed more staff......

but the overtime cut never affected my life so to speak because i never let it become part of my income so to speak......

we get a quaterly bonus at my place which is paid by profit/attendance etc and the amount of people in my place who rely on the bonus to live is silly and they hate the company if they had few days of sick because they lose that months bonus, yes its a pain but fact is there not taking away your wages, dont ever treat it as gospel is what i say tbh

mere fact people lose there overtime and struggle to me says you started living by your means which is not good when overtime is not fulltime
N3CRO

25th Jan 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're making alot of people redundant where my dad works, they're trying to cut costs so they're shutting down machines hence why he's lost the overtime. He's never relied on it for income, its just that he's been doing lotsa overtime for years so losing it and the money he earned, it is gonna take an effect even if a slight one.

[Edited on 25-01-2009 by TheNobleOne]
Ellis

25th Jan 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing that concerns me at present is the oil price, if affects my career - ideally I would want it to be around $70 a barrell so some decent projects would get the go ahead!
mwg

25th Jan 09 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my thoughts are the media should shut the hell up about it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Economic meltdown 22 database queries in 0.0083899 seconds