corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » eurovox

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author eurovox
corsa bid

User status: Offline
25th Jan 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thinking of buying a eurovox box, has anyone got one of these and what do you think of it? i have sky+ at the mo, so does anyone know how it would work etc?
Nic Barnes

25th Jan 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably uses electricity
corsa bid

25th Jan 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

well done sherlock
John

25th Jan 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Geek day if anywhere.

Are you getting rid of sky and getting cable in or just getting the eurovox to look at?
corsa bid

25th Jan 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eurovox gives you all channels i think? so might just lower my package of sky to the minimum.
John

25th Jan 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't use it with sky.
corsa bid

25th Jan 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so what would i use it with then mate?
John

25th Jan 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing, sky boxes are the best you can get for sky.
Nic Barnes

25th Jan 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa bid
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

well done sherlock

what is it anyway? never heard of it?
M2RTY

25th Jan 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

itgate is better IMHO

satkings.org
Dom

25th Jan 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eurovox is for use on the cable network, so it'll only work if you have a Virgin (NTL/Telewest/CableTel etc) line coming into your house.

Personally, i would be a little wary about using one (inc. hacked cable modems) as Virgin has implemented a number of new security systems to catch people using dodgy boxes etc.
ash_corsa

25th Jan 09 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate sells them on ebay, good but as said, you do need cable.
xa0s
Banned

26th Jan 09 at 03:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Eurovox is for use on the cable network, so it'll only work if you have a Virgin (NTL/Telewest/CableTel etc) line coming into your house.

Personally, i would be a little wary about using one (inc. hacked cable modems) as Virgin has implemented a number of new security systems to catch people using dodgy boxes etc.

As above, but ignore the 2nd paragraph -- cannot be detected unless they physically come to your house and check.

There's no point having Sky+ and a Eurovox. Sky+ is so much more sleeker and better than Eurovox. Even PVR Eurovox's (EX5000 and EX7000 HD) are very unreliable and only record 50% of the time. It's also possible that you'll spend £150 on a box for it to change encryption tomorrow and the £150 may as well have been chucked down the drain.

Personally, if you've already got Sky, you may as well just keep it. A lot of people think you just need a cable into your house, but it's not the case. That cable has to be active, so you have to have a Virgin subscription in the first place to even consider Eurovox. It's also very unreliable and sometimes you'll go to watch TV to find that you need a firmware update or need to search for all the channels again.

And is it worth the risk for saving a few quid? Stop being a pikey.
John

26th Jan 09 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do only need a cable coming into your house, which means somebody has to have had cable at some point in the past, I know this for a fact because i've seen loads of people do it, the internet sometimes works as well, no subscription required.
Hammer

26th Jan 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only need to search for channels if they change the frequency a particular channel is on, never need firmware updated either.

If they reset the codes it takes 2 minutes to change and they go through a spate of doing it for a couple days then leave it for months.
Dom

26th Jan 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

As above, but ignore the 2nd paragraph -- cannot be detected unless they physically come to your house and check.

Not quite true, they can do remote checks as cable boxes have a return path, whereas Eurovox's have this disabled. Although it would show the Eurovox as being a cable box that is powered off (ie: the box doesn't return an 'ok' signal), i'm sure they keep logs and it'd look odd if your box is always 'off'.

[Edited on 26-01-2009 by Dom]
Hammer

26th Jan 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not when you're not subscribed to any tv packages
Dom

26th Jan 09 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Doesn't the line have to be active? I assumed that they deactivate the line when you drop their packages?
John

26th Jan 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nup, if cable has been fitted to your house at any point, in all the cases i've come across, the line is still active.

I'm not saying it's not possible for them to disconnect it but i've never came across one that has been.
xa0s
Banned

26th Jan 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You do only need a cable coming into your house, which means somebody has to have had cable at some point in the past, I know this for a fact because i've seen loads of people do it, the internet sometimes works as well, no subscription required.

No. You've got it completely wrong. That just means someone in your street or area is paying their subscription so they haven't turned the box off at the top of the road. You're also very lucky they haven't disconnected the feed.

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Not quite true, they can do remote checks as cable boxes have a return path, whereas Eurovox's have this disabled. Although it would show the Eurovox as being a cable box that is powered off (ie: the box doesn't return an 'ok' signal), i'm sure they keep logs and it'd look odd if your box is always 'off'.

In my friends house, his mum has a cable box with Virgin, and he's just split the feed and put a Eurovox in his room. Virgin thinks there's only one box in the house. They send the check, and the Virgin box sends back saying it's on. They're not aware of any other box in the house. The only way they'd suss you out is if you unplugged the Virgin box and replaced it with a Eurovox -- if you ever paying £20 a month and never using your Virgin box alarm bells would start ringing. People often leave their original box connected.

As I said, it cannot be detected.

quote:
Originally posted by John
Nup, if cable has been fitted to your house at any point, in all the cases i've come across, the line is still active.

I'm not saying it's not possible for them to disconnect it but i've never came across one that has been.

See my quote above. It only works because someone very local to you has an active Virgin connection and/or they've not put the request in to remove your feed. It happens a lot.
xa0s
Banned

26th Jan 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Doesn't the line have to be active? I assumed that they deactivate the line when you drop their packages?

I think he's saying he has an internet package with them (or something like that).
John

26th Jan 09 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any one i've ever came across, and this is over years, it's worked fine.

Everybody I know with it at the moment works fine and i'll continue to tell people who ask me it'll work fine until it doesn't.
xa0s
Banned

26th Jan 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what you're saying is, phone Virgin and order the cheapest package available with the shortest contract period and then cancel it as soon as the contract expires. They'll leave the feed connected as it originally was and never do anything about it?

Come on mate.
John

26th Jan 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They probably would, is the shortest contract not 12 months?

It's mainly been people who've moved into houses that have had it in previously though.
Hammer

26th Jan 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xa0s you sound like someone that has read up a lot on this but not actually experienced it.

Anyone that has the box in their house that i've met, and there's been several, have been able to use a eurovox with it.

I also know you don't need to update the firmware constantly or search for channels constantly as I've came across plenty of them and no one has had to. This is over years not just days or months.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll