corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Energy Workers Strikes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Energy Workers Strikes
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   2nd Feb 09 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's your take on the strike acton by energy workers with regards to the employment by the relevant firms of Portuguese and Italian contractors?

daymoon
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 12:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imho - if italians or portuguese or any one else do a better job than english for same money, then those who are on strike should go back to work....
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
imho - if italians or portuguese or any one else do a better job than english for same money, then those who are on strike should go back to work....

daymoon
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

is that not clear or what?
a_j_mair

2nd Feb 09 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there is skilled labour in this country they should be employing them to try and keep our economy going
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it's not as simple as you've put it.
Cavey

2nd Feb 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
if there is skilled labour in this country they should be employing them to try and keep our economy going

That's my thoughts on it too, why should they bring in foreign workers when english workers are out of work, and struggling to get along

Although i see the point that daymoon is making, in theory would make the plants more efficient with better workers, but no-one is saying these foreigners are better workers as far as i know
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The workers are contracted by the Italian firm, sub-contracted by Jacobs to carry out the expansion work at the Lindsey Refractory.

It isn't Total who have directly employed foreign workers in way of British workers and it isnt the core business which is affected; it is only the building work and expansion.

I could kind of see the point of the Lindsey Refractory workers (whilst I may not agree with it) but the workers who are striking from other depots are being ridiculous IMO. They have jobs, we're in an economic recession; people all around us are losing their jobs - be grateful for what you have tbh
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the fact foreigners will work for a curly wurly and a pack of football stickers a day, why pay english workers when they can get 10 foreigners to take his place for the same money.
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT ISN'T THE PLANT WHICH HAS EMPLOYED THE WORKERS!!! THEY'RE NOT CARRYING OUT ANY TASKS WHICH WERE PREVIOUSLY POSITIONS HELD BY BRIT'S
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Workers there were angry a contract to expand the refinery was sub-contracted by Jacobs to an Italian firm, IREM, which decided to use its own workforce

IREM are the sub-contractors carrying out the expansion; they are entitled to use their own provisions and labour

[Edited on 02-02-2009 by LiVe LeE]
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, now you've used caps its crystal clear
FAZ
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think its about time! how can people have the hearyt at least to employ foreign people when the people that have the skills are out of work and willa ccept any pay in this time of mass unemployment
Cavey

2nd Feb 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough Live Lee, hadn't looked into it, just going by what i heard on Radio1.

Also, the payment comment, there's been a statement released saying they're paying them the same amount as english workers
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
Oh, now you've used caps its crystal clear

sorry, didn't mean to - I'm working on a drawing at the same time and they have to be in caps
DannyB
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough.
AndyKent

2nd Feb 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see why workers would be annoyed, but as said, if you've got a job, be grateful - striking is only putting their own jobs at risk, more so when the energy companies decide they can't afford to pay everyone to work and decide to cut back - who are gonna be the first to go do you think.....
daymoon
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 13:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt trust radio 1 or any radio or tv reports... they said what they are told imho...

Live lee - if its only building work and the workers that are carrying it out are only temp - then i dont see any point in the strike at all

i would sort of get it if english people would be fired and foreigners taken on, but its not the trueth :S
ed

2nd Feb 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish it were legal to sack all of the dickheads on strike and replace them with Polish. No wait, asylum seekers.
Nath

2nd Feb 09 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it 1980 again

[Edited on 02-02-2009 by Nath]
Jodi_the_g

2nd Feb 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I wish it were legal to sack all of the dickheads on strike and replace them with Polish. No wait, asylum seekers.

Could not agree more with you, I hate unions with a passion.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Energy Workers Strikes 22 database queries in 0.0123291 seconds