corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » music copyright?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author music copyright?
Jodi_the_g

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am doing a flash commercial for a product, I am looking for a piece of music.

Am I right in thinking anything over a certain amount of years old say Mozart is copyright free?
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Feb 09 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The composer has no rights but the performers might.
Jodi_the_g

2nd Feb 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never thought of it that way, thanks.
Dom

2nd Feb 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using a piece of music copyright-free, it's 50 years (i believe it's 70 in the US) from either the death of the writer or from when the sound-recording/perfomance was made available to the public (release/broadcast date etc).
Performing a piece of music is 70 years from the death of the writer - although i'm not sure if that's the same state-side.

So if you're wanting to use a piece of Mozart, then try and find a recording that is over 50 years old. Although as you're in the states, it might be worth contacting BMI, SESAC or ASCAP to double check.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » music copyright? 22 database queries in 0.0089071 seconds