corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Pc people, cpu temps, volts?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pc people, cpu temps, volts?
Carl

User status: Offline
27th Feb 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trying to find why my pc is crashing, downloaded a pc alert program for my motherboard and it told me to close pc down because of temps, got another one and this is what I've got;

[img][/img]

I take it that is high? if it is what do I do about it, is the fan too puny or something? also whats that volt part mean? that was red on the pc alert program.

Can anyone help as ive looked around google but couldn't find anything.
John

27th Feb 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's high for almost anything, i've had a graphics card that was ok up at that temperature but not on the desktop.

Need to try and find out what it is though, doubt a cpu would run at that temp, nothing else should be getting that high, could be a random rogue reading.
Carl

27th Feb 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason i've downloaded these is that whenever I start up a game (been playing sim city 4), when my external hard drive and/or usb wireless internet dongle are plugged in, it will crash, not instnatly, more when it feels like, quicker if both plugged in. Without I can play for hours sometimes and no crashing. I've re installed windows and now trying this, but like I said it means nothing to me.
What would you suggest to do? through reading I was going to try update the bios, however there are 3 mainboards that all look the same and come under the same serial number ms-7093 and i don't know which is mine, plus i've no idea if that would make an ounce of difference!
John

27th Feb 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think that's it, there's -2 temp as well which isn't correct, its just pulling random figures from somewhere so I don't think that's the problem.

Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?
Carl

27th Feb 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been on the bios and it had 0 for cpu temps so like you said must not be able to measure. (had 36 for other which fits)

I think I have, its some shity ati onboard graphics card. It's not just games it crashes on, it locks up randomly when i've been on other stuff, from files on the pc to itunes but that is a lot less common, almost guarenteed when playing on a game if other stuff left in.

John

27th Feb 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All fans spinning ok, good hoover out?
Carl

27th Feb 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
All fans spinning ok, good hoover out?

Given it a good hover, had heatsink off and cleaned up re applied thermal paste. Going to see if it can bounce when dropped out of the window test could be the next test.
csweatherston

27th Feb 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would try flashing the bios... unless its only recently occured.
try clearing the cmos....
jumper pin/ remove battery.
ssj_kakarot

27th Feb 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its probally a reading of nothing, ive used speedfan a lot and read up on it, that reading will just be bogus i get the same with mine.

Carl

28th Feb 09 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by csweatherston

I think i've identified my board out of the 3, downloaded the updated bios, however when I opened the how to file with it it said....

DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

And I don't know what i'm doing, had a quick look and it mentions windows floppy discs etc, for a start I haven't got a floppy drive so it might be just safer living with it locking up, than not working at all?
Carl

28th Feb 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
its probally a reading of nothing, ive used speedfan a lot and read up on it, that reading will just be bogus i get the same with mine.

Yeah we have come to that conclusion.
csweatherston

28th Feb 09 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:

I think i've identified my board out of the 3, downloaded the updated bios, however when I opened the how to file with it it said....

And I don't know what i'm doing, had a quick look and it mentions windows floppy discs etc, for a start I haven't got a floppy drive so it might be just safer living with it locking up, than not working at all?

Most bios's are similar...but as you said, if you dont know what your doing or your systems unstable then dont do it.
My P5q board is currently using a rampage bios lol.

However, clearing the cmos is very basic..there will be a jumper on the mobo which you swap to pins 2-3 (instead of 1-2) leave for 10 seconds....done.

I think this may be the cause, as the bios has a lot of control on the external usb voltages/ drivers.
Carl

28th Feb 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:

Most bios's are similar...but as you said, if you dont know what your doing or your systems unstable then dont do it.
My P5q board is currently using a rampage bios lol.

However, clearing the cmos is very basic..there will be a jumper on the mobo which you swap to pins 2-3 (instead of 1-2) leave for 10 seconds....done.

I think this may be the cause, as the bios has a lot of control on the external usb voltages/ drivers.

the clearing of the cmos, is that the full process, swap jumpers etc, then will all boot up as per usual, nothing else required?

If so I'll give it a try.
John

28th Feb 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure whats causing it but I doubt clearing the cmos will do anythin, all that does is reset any settings in the BIOS, can't hurt though I suppose.

That 12v rail looks very high, nearly 14v, could be a badpower supply or faulty voltage regulators on the motherboard.
Carl

28th Feb 09 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i have another power supply of an older pc, might give it a switch see how that goes.

Cheers for your help people.
Eddie.2k

28th Feb 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought id give this a try, my temps seem really high?

[Edited on 28-02-2009 by Eddie.2k]
Daveskater
Premium Member

1st Mar 09 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eddie: I think that sometimes Speedfan shows up hard drives as AUX temps, with a temperature of 52C on a hard drive you are at risk of data loss and corruption. You can get hard drive coolers from loads of places including ebay, they screw onto the bottom and have two fans pointing upwards. I have one myself and it brought the hard drive temp down by nearly 20C.

The System tepm is usually the temperature of the motherboard iirc. You will want to make sure you have good air flow going through the case, because an ambient case temp of 35C is a little bit high.

Never hoover out your fans, it's possible to "over-spin" them, because when you hoover it it will make it turn round, so you could wreck the bearing. It's also not the cleverest idea ever to hoover out your computer because of electrostatic discharge. Using a small paintbrush can be good for cleaning off fan blades, or I have used a cocktail stick in the past and that worked very well, especially for getting dust out from between the fins in a heatsink.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures

New Poll