corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » For anyone unable to install Vista SP1: Guide.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author For anyone unable to install Vista SP1: Guide.
Tiger

User status: Offline
11th Mar 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did this last night and it worked.

CURRENT STATUS: Unable to install the SP1.

ACTION PLAN: Please follow the following steps to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Click on start >> type "%temp%" without quotes and click on ok.

Delete all the entries under this folder, and then close the window.

In the same way click on start>> type "C:\windows\prefetch" without quotes and click on ok. Delete all the entries under this folder, and then close the Window.

Step 2. Click Start > type services.msc and press "Enter" key to open the Services window.

a) Right-click the following services and click the Properties option:

Windows Updates, Background Intelligent Service and Cryptographic service.

Click the "General" tab in the properties window. Make sure the Startup type is set to "Automatic" and Service Status is "Started".

b) Stop the services: Windows Updates and Cryptographic service.

Click the "Stop" button in their respective properties window to stop the services.

c)Rename the folder: software distribution to "SDold" which is located in C:\Windows folder.

(Open My Computer page > double-click Local Disk (C drive > double-click Windows folder and right-click software distribution folder and rename it to SDold.)

d) Rename the folder: catroot2 to "Ct2old" which is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder.

(Open My Computer page > double-click Local Disk (C drive > double-click Windows folder > double-click System32 folder and right-click catroot2 folder and rename it to Ct2old.)

Note: In case you are unable to rename "catroot2" folder, restart the computer in safe mode.

-To boot into the safe, restart the computer and keep tapping F8 key to get the 'Advanced boot options'.

Select safe mode and click enter.

Check for the above mentioned services again and in case they are "Started", stop them manually and then try to rename "catroot2" folder again in safe mode itself.

e)Delete everything from the data store temporary prefetch download folders.

To do this,

Click start > computers > C drive > Windows > software distribution > and you'll get download and data store file > please clear all the contents from these two folders.

f) Install the following dll files.

to do this,

click Start > type CMD > right click on CMD > run as administrator

then type in Regsvr32 Wuweb.dll > hit enter.

follow this with all these files.

Regsvr32 Wuapi.dll,

Regsvr32 Wuaueng1.dll,

Regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll,

Regsvr32 Wuauserv.dll,

Regsvr32 Wucltui.dll,

Regsvr32 Wups2.dll,

Regsvr32 Wups.dll,

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll,

regsvr32 softpub.dll,

regsvr32 wintrust.dll,

regsvr32 jscript.dll,

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Step2. Restart the computer.

f) Start the services: Windows Updates and Cryptographic service from the Services window.

(Click Start > type services.msc and click OK. It will open the Services window. Right-click the above mentioned services and click Start option).

Step3. Ensure that no external device is connected to your computer except the keyboard, mouse and the router/modem for the internet connection.

Step 4. Install the kb947821

a)Launch an internet explorer> type in "support.microsoft.com/kb/947821" in the address bar> hit enter >go in the middle of the page and select "Download the Windows Vista package now." And then >continue> install > download > run/open > and install 947821(System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2008] )

b) please ensure that you provide us the complete information about the result of the installation of 947821

step 5.Uninstall any antivirus that you may have installed on the computer. Also uninstall any CD/D VD writing software on the computer.

Please Note:

The third-party products, information on 3rd party websites, or drivers created by 3rd party companies that have been discussed are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft and we make no warranty implied or otherwise, regarding these products so use at your own risk.

Step 6. Open the Windows Updates web site and try to install the Service Pack 1 updates on the computer. Ensure whether the updates are installed successfully or not.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Mar 09 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

summary:

get XP cd out
install it.
Tiger

11th Mar 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Willay, sometimes you just gotta move on
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Mar 09 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have, its called FreeBSD!
pow
Premium Member

11th Mar 09 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vista is a c-unit
John

11th Mar 09 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said in the previous post about this, sp2 is out soon.
Tiger

11th Mar 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only just got sp1 on
Shane

11th Mar 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has a few issues with sp1, crshed , and when it restarted it wouldnt load vista properly, had to run it in safe mode and uninstall and reinstall it
Neo

11th Mar 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Installed Vista SP1 today

Didnt have a problem

Much prefer xp with sp3 though

[Edited on 11-03-2009 by Neo]
John

11th Mar 09 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To all the people who like xp more, you haven't used vista enough.

Xp is terrible when you go back to it now, vista would have eased the step to windows 7 as well, it's massively different from xp.

I was apprehensive of vista, about 10 years ago when it came out, no need to be anymore though.
Neo

11th Mar 09 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use it at work and in my previous job....about a year and 6 months....long enough IMO to get make my own opinion

pow
Premium Member

12th Mar 09 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And I've used it everyday for a year and a half - enough to make my own opinion.

You can like Vista, thats fine, but I dont

New Poll