corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Tappits’s No Spec GSI Corsa

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tappits’s No Spec GSI Corsa
Tappits

User status: Offline
17th Mar 09 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know not every one goes on mig so heres my ongoing thing
Well not done anything on the car for a few months (8 lol) now and after going to the VBOA weekend and also TOTB I have the bug again.

No real idea what I am going to do with it there’s a few bits and bobs but that’s it so any and all ideas from 3rd party’s will be taken into consideration.

So all I have in my head at the mo is…
Make shell better
Turbo (no lag 300bhp)
And maybe move rad to boot area (more bay space/better cooling)
But other than that it’s an empty book

So first job was to get wings off and I was very surprised that there’s no rust under them, few patches of surface rust but nothing major.

My gas coilovers have seen better days

And so have my wilwoods (yes there’s a nut missing)

So that was about as far as I got on day one
So today I had the good idea to try and keep the front wheels on for when I take the engine out so I take all the drivers side suspension to bits and get the shaft out the box and get the shaft out and then put it back together again and start on the other side but I had totally forgot that the shaft keeps the hub on the hub carrier so when I was doing the other side it pulled the wheel off and dropped to the floor

It had also bent a bit on the hub

So after an emergency lift I got it onto a set of axle stands

So got the rest of the engine ready for lifting out and got the manifold off (god I hate getting that manifold on and off) and the rad and power-seeking off and out the way.
And also started cutting and bending my battery tray off but ended up just bending it in the end.

So then I needed to get ready for the big lift so I did it all safely and followed the LOLER regs (No seatbelts and crap in my lifts)

But the power steering pipes were in the way so I got the trusty JetCut out

Made a bit of a mess so far

I also had the gooooooood idea to cut the top slamyiaminyourwaypannal off so will have to make a bolt on one when it goes back together.

Nearly out

Then I had to try and lift the crane over the wood at the start of the garage (what a pain)

Yay done

And how it got left tonight

[quote=philip2;3751494]have you got a LET sorted, or doing the car first??

Doing car first but am more than likely just going to convert the XE block as even if I got a LET I have to change all the bits that I would in the XE so other than a few bits will cost the same.
Not even got the plate for welding the car up yet and need to order a cage soon.

Been looking at this one from customcages.co.uk but would need them to change the roof bar so it goes the other way as that’s for LHD cars

[quote=Benn;3751552]Good to see you took the engine out the proper way..lol

looks like she could and will be a weapon, brakes and coilovers just need a good cleaning up from the look..

Brakes and coilovers will be getting changed for better versions I think as them wilwoods are getting on a bit now (think there 4th hand and looking a bit tatty)
And don’t fit right
And the coilovers were just midrange ones that don’t really fit right
And every one knows up is better than down

[quote=J Sabo;3751561]hope u don’t have to keep taking the engine out - will be expensive PS hoses

Haha they’re getting replaced anyway going for electric PS
And anything made of rubber would be getting changed out anyway
Omg been up for 3h and not done anything yet might go do a bit

So started the day by removing the steering wheal but found that one of the nuts was rounded so had to drill it out but thankfully did not damage the hub.

Then I stated on the dash but it seemed that it was bolted from behind from the engine side (never had it off before so was a bit of a noob) so started taking the scuttle panel off.

Got some of the stuff out of there but found this

nearly all out

Dash half out

At this point I lost my rag with it and just starting cutting things (things that I will not need) to get it out
A soon as it was out I got the rest of the car loom out

Look how many wires there are.

can see the hole better

looks bad from the inside

nearly fully striped

all out

was not able to get that bottom arm out as the nut was rounded so will cut/drill it out some other time.
some holes here as well

so after that was all done I decided to tidy the garage out as needed space to fit the engine stand in, god it was a **** tip

Cleaner

End of the day

[quote=Benn;3752179]Christ you dont hang about, full strip to cage,clean up and paint?

don’t see car been done for a few months (at least 6) yet but its has been weekend lol
strip (not done yet )
I ordered a roof for my drive, which is coming on Tuesday, so will be fitting that Wednesday – Thursday night after work. Then I can get the windows out.
Still need to get old tank off, exhaust and rear axel off but need to get more axel stands 1st (that’s tomorrows jobs)
Going to order my cage over the nest few days (still deciding on which to get) and still need to get some steal to fix all the holes/rust/strengthening/boxing.
Need to do things like change the roof skin for the cage to fit (sun roof) and come up with a trick way to mount – feed – expel air for the rad I want in the boot
When all the cage and shell (me and m8 had some ideas tonight about a few things) is done it will be going for pant (don’t know what I am doing with that yet) then I can do the engine and other things.

Did not do much today
Ordered my cage just need to ring up and pay for it tomorrow so that will come in the nest 2 weeks or so.
Got some more axle stands (got the big ones and not the small ones by mistake so cost me a load ) but got the car onto them but as my drive is not perfectly level it sits like this but still seems ok.

So got the rear axle off, got the exhaust out of the way and dropped the tank (still need to get some of the pipes off) but that’s all I did (am abit ****ed from the weekend)
Driveway roof comes tomorrow so will not be doing anything on the car for a day or two till that’s on then I can start welding up.

You like my bricks

[quote=philip2;3752317]custom cage seems to be the best if want it to go to turrets, and follow donw the 'A' pillar, instead of the omp ones made for the dash, like mine does, even though i have no dash

Who needs a dash? My old dash will not be going back in (what a pain) will just make a nice simple one to mount everything on, would have to cut the stock dash to bits anyway to get it in with cage so its for the best.

No pics today
Not got much done past week got the roof on my drive and windows coming out in the nest 2 days.
Cage will be coming any day now and just ordered some 225/45/16’s so I can line everything up and cut out/modify anything that needs modding to fit them so just need to stick them on some ET49 steels when they come.
Made a frame out of scaff for the car to sit on which will limit the twisting of the shell when the floor and roof gets cut out (its not 100% at the mo but will tweek more when there’s more than just me trying to do it.)
Also had a lol chat with a m8 (ladder man aka carrot aka 4 eyes aka ball aka stu) who was well up for me spending 4k on a 5 speed dog box lol don’t think I am going for that mod tbo lol 1/3 of total build cost on a gear box lol but will see if I can get a straight cut gear set but will have to see on that one (yes I love the sound)
Don’t know what’s happening with the rad in the boot idea, I don’t know if it will work but other m8 thinks it will so will have to see on that one, another one that has been suggested is dry sump but will have to look more into that when we get round the engine in about 5 years time.

[quote=DaveB;3761160]How come the roof/floor is coming out?

Roof coming out because my cage will not fit in right
Floor coming out because why on earth do I need a spear wheel well? + need some bits patching from were we boged it last time + why not

Got the engine on the stand (will be there a long long long long time before I am ready to do anything with it me thinks)

Started modding rear beam (still loads to do on it)

steve f**k**g the job up

The frame

Started cutting the spear wheel well out but just did it ruff for now

Got the sun roof out

And these came today
Going to be sticking them on some rims so I can line/mod everything to fit round these which will also include the front strut which will be in the way but think I have a way round that (lol was thinking of moving the hole front of the car forwards so the wheels are in front of the engine last night lol don’t think so some how but would be a good mod) do you think I will grip with these

And also ordered some of these today

[quote=Benn;3761989]Love the frame/stand.

yer it works quite well its about 650mm off the floor at the mo but going to get it to about 1m or so and then i can do the underneeth this weekend without killing myself.
4 axle stands just dont cut it for hight and safty

[quote=fray;3762132]iv got those tyres and they grip pretty well. well enough that im going to bu them again anyway!

yer a few people run them its the size of them that’s going to help more tho (was going to get A048's but they only did 225/5016's and not the 45's that I need )
Going to be a pain to fit but will be worth it in the long run.
Think I will be putting them on a set of these when it’s done
MO1673 ET49 7” wide but in 5 stud

Been looking at keith’s nova build and was thinking about the dipping he had done but for me I don’t see that its worth it as its not like it’s a mint shell to start with and the hole point of me doing this is to do it and learn from it and as my cars full of holes and rust might as well just potter on with it and cut out all the rust and stuff instead of having it dipped and then having to weld it up any way would kill me to pay to have it dipped and then have that E paint put on just to drag it all off to weld all the holes up and all the rest of it. Don’t really know
Tappits

17th Mar 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well not much done today we just batted around some ideas on what were doing and stuff welded a bar in across were the rear beam bolts onto the car and started cutting the floor out more, will hopefully get that fully out tomorrow.

[quote=wilkogsi;3764227]lookin good mate!
could you tell me, is it the top or the bottom brake pipe line that you have run to the back of the car? when i say top or bottom i mean out of the master cylinder, hope that makes sense.

as far as I can remember it was bottom i.e. the closest to windscreen but don’t think it makes any difference .

[quote=k e l;3764384]wait for the update lmao

well I will start with what kel has done today lol
all he had to do was take the f***ing doors off (lol film quote)
But instead he did this.

which did this to the door

as for the holes lol there bigger now than on Friday lol

Yes I know the windscreen is still in btw
As for updates there are none for the past two days been reading lee’s garage topic (at page 75 or so and loving it.) Anyway, I had a brake at reading but as it was late did not want to start grinding and stuff so just tided up, as it was a crap hole. Still waiting for the cage to come (it needs to come by Friday or it will be 2 more weeks as I am away on hol) and still not been to get any metal yet (yes I am slacking) but there is still loads of cutting to do before I can start putting the back end back together anyway. Going to try and get my back coilovers ordered after work (will take a trip to dampertech as its on the way home) so hoping they will come as soon as I get back (or there abouts) then I can line things up on the back and start welding it back up.
So things will be slow this week as I have loads to do.
Hopefully things will move a lot faster in a few weeks when I have all the things needed.
Also just to note we are doing the car from back to front (shell) then engine then front to back with ancillaries so its unlikely you will see any trick bits like quafe gear linkages and tilton peddle boxes till near the end of the project. And I still don’t know what’s going on with the engine (i.e. which one and spec) so don’t ask
As for things for sale some people have asked if I am selling things (brakes and wheels) well ask any one that knows me and they will tell you I don’t sell anything ever, but you don’t know what might happen in a few months.
Garage looks better tho and yes I do like pics of useless junk
Haha this pic is also a game of spot the crazy woman

[quote=k e l;3767039]haha just spyed her
[quote=dj_woodster;3767097]lol lmaolmao

lol
Any way cage came today, not opened it or anything yet but its heavy and heavy is good (well it is for something like this)
And just got back from dampertech so my rear side adjustable Gaz Gold coil over oil units with 2.0” 300LB.\IN. springs to match will be here soon

No more updates for a week or so till I get back from holls and I will do some mods to make you all proud

[quote=Rick Draper;3915557]What happened to this in the end?

Its been to cold lad and my little hands might get frost bite or something,

Did my first bit of welding on it this weekend (worst patch job ever)
Shell + crappy scrappy let will be in for pv (14 week plan) and real one will be in when i have time after its running.

Don't see why I cannot get it done in 14 weeks from now might have to pulling a few favours along the way and maybe an emergency cash injection from work but its all good.
Cage, back end, holes/rust/make-strong, roof, paint then put it back together.

any way I have planes but need some bits so I can make the car fit the bits so

looking at ordering the CMB 0405 UNIVERSAL FLOOR MOUNTED PEDALBOX CABL
http://compbrake.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=405&osCsid=7e245400ecd379a35f0fc0b04a3ff562
but I have no idea Master cylinders I need?
0.625 0.7 0.75 ???? any one have any ideas? Running vaux discs on the back and reylands on the front if that helps.
And that unit (not clear on the pic) has cable driven clutch? But might look into hydrolic clutch as I am going to be running f20's anyway.

(I would ring up but I hate sounding like I don't know what I am on about on the phone) (which I don't)

so if I get this right that goes on the floor you have 2? external reservoirs that you position above
and the brake lines come off that (one side for front one side for back?) so other than the reservoirs and the feed pipes for them I don't need anything else?

Well been doing some stuff.
I will post some pics of my rear suspension as I not so far (looks crap to say there GAZ top of the line but hopefully they spent all there time makething them good rather than making them look nice)

so this weekend i started the weld and started with the Strengthening Kit on but ended up putting one of the plates in the wrong place so had to go over the top with some more plates

Then I started stitch welding the bay up which was not that bad but what made it all a bit of a pain is not sending the shell off to be striped back because doing it with grinders and wire brushes is a full on job.
Any way got the bay done and started on the front wheel arches and was going good till I looked inside striped off the 16 year old seem selent (which holds on good) to find even more holes
Was going to plate that up there and then but I set fire to the 9” grinder and the wire wheel on the drill was totally beyond use so called it a day.

So last night I did a bit more.... Well no I spent 2h heat gunning off seam sealer then m8 came round then he left then diff m8 came round then 1st one came back to mince with 2nd one.
So I put them to work.... Well I got one of them to sort one of the back windows out so its ready for paint and ready to stick a new window in there.
I got the other one to do like 5 welds then he ran off not to be seen again so I finished it off.

His weld

My weld

More bodge

So tonight I did the other side then found something else I need to do.

One drivers side floor

One more hole not going to hert

So yer to give me more space to fit the peddle box I am taking out the curved bit and making if flat so I can mount them further back.
Will just stick a few bits of box in and replate it all with some thick stuff should not be a big problem.

So back on the the pedalbox thing any one got any ideas on size of master cylinders I need????
0.625 0.7 0.75 ???? Because I need to order it soon.
if i understand it all bigger is not allways better???

EDIT:
found out i need 0.625 front 0.7 rear.

Yay shiney bits
thanks to compbrake for your quick service >24h

i also got some more bits from machine mart come inc this

so can do real bends now to make it look a bit better
Better go do something
FruitBooTeR

17th Mar 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sooo much work youve done there mate haha top stuff indeed

When did u start it all like the piks at the start of the thread?
Tappits

17th Mar 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
When did u start it all like the piks at the start of the thread?

02-08-2008, 210
Benkid

17th Mar 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow i thought my GSI was rotten lol, looking like a thorough job mate, keep it up.

You nearly had the same wheels as mine, and i got the same srings but with the zinc coating, TWINS!!! (see my wip if you dont understand lol)

[Edited on 17-03-2009 by Benkid]
.dean.

17th Mar 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ace project!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Tappits’s No Spec GSI Corsa 23 database queries in 0.0417531 seconds