corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 'The Wire' starts tonight BBC 2/11.20PM/ BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 'The Wire' starts tonight BBC 2/11.20PM/ BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
30th Mar 09 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'The Wire' starts tonight BBC 2/11.20PM/ BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would give you all a reminder that 'The Wire' starts tonight on BBC 2, 11.20PM.

Can not recommend this show high enough - it is imo the best TV show of all time.

REVIEWS

"Doug Elfman of the Chicago Sun-Times was more reserved in his praise, calling it the "most ambitious" show on television, but faulting it for its complexity and the slow development of the plotline.[265] The Los Angeles Times took the rare step of devoting an editorial to the show, stating that "even in what is generally acknowledged to be something of a golden era for thoughtful and entertaining dramas—both on cable channels and on network TV—The Wire stands out."[266] TIME Magazine especially praised the fourth season, stating that "no other TV show has ever loved a city so well, damned it so passionately, or sung it so searingly."[267] The website Metacritic, which gathers reviews from published news sources and translates them into a percentage score, has assigned to The Wire's fourth season a weighted average score of 98%, the highest for any television show since Metacritic began tracking them in 2005.[4] Several reviewers have called it the best show on television, including TIME,[267][267][268] Entertainment Weekly,[261] The Guardian,[30] the Chicago Tribune,[269] Slate,[228] the San Francisco Chronicle[270] and the Philadelphia Daily News.[271] Charlie Brooker, a columnist for the British newspaper The Guardian has been particularly copious in his praise of the show, in both his column "Screen Burn" and his BBC Four television series Screenwipe, in which he often speaks highly of it, calling it possibly the greatest show of the last 20 years.[272][273]
In January 2008, U.S. President Barack Obama was quoted in the Las Vegas Sun as saying that The Wire is his favorite show on television
mattfiesta

30th Mar 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats it about?
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattfiesta
Whats it about?

The most simple explanation is that its an in depth study of drug and murder police versus the drug delears and corners of Baltimore Usa.

Its just brilliant- watch it, its very funny as well as being pretty shocking.

Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more complicated explanation is....

"The Wire is an American television drama series set in Baltimore, Maryland, where it was also produced. Created, produced, and primarily written by author and former police reporter David Simon, the series was broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States. The Wire premiered on June 2, 2002 and ended on March 9, 2008, with 60 episodes airing over the course of its five seasons.

Each season of The Wire focuses on a different facet of the city of Baltimore. They are, in order: the drug trade, the port, the city government & bureaucracy, the school system, and the print news media. The large cast consists mainly of character actors who are little known for their other roles. Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how ... whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge [or] lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."[1]

Despite never seeing commercial success or winning any major television awards,[2] The Wire has frequently been described by critics as one of the greatest television series of all time.[3][4][5] The show is recognized for its realistic portrayal of urban life, artistic ambitions, and uncommonly deep exploration of sociopolitical themes."
Nath

30th Mar 09 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But is it better than The Shield?
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
But is it better than The Shield?

Watch it and make your own mind up- dont think your be disapponted

[Edited on 30-03-2009 by Dr Pepper]
Nath

30th Mar 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if I watch 10 episodes and find out it's not I'll be
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But if I watch 10 episodes and find out it's not I'll be
\

I have yet to meet anyone who has watched 10 episodes and hasnt loved it- and I have lent the dvd to everyone I know pretty much- everyone who has watched 5 episodes has then bought all 5 series.
Nath

30th Mar 09 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll whack it on Series Link, I could do with a new programme to get into.
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'll whack it on Series Link, I could do with a new programme to get into.

series link is deffo the way to do it - not a series where you can get away with missing an episode.

My advice is to turn the volume up for the first couple of episodes- they are quite talky and yo are dropped in at the deep end- within an episode or so you pretty much know whats going on
Nath

30th Mar 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff!

btw if you haven't seen The Shield it's well worth a watch.
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Good stuff!

btw if you haven't seen The Shield it's well worth a watch.

Ive done the shield mate- very good indeed
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a taster- episode one is on youtube
- nsw for work due to bad language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWt9l2RUnbs

aewajd

30th Mar 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
'The Wire' starts tonight BBC 2/11.20PM/ BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!

that's debatable. il sky plus it and give it a go tomorrow
Bart

30th Mar 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what series is airing?
Dr Pepper

30th Mar 09 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
what series is airing?

series one - drugs

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » 'The Wire' starts tonight BBC 2/11.20PM/ BEST TV SHOW EVER!!! 22 database queries in 0.1971698 seconds