corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » 1st Time Wedding Photography?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1st Time Wedding Photography?
mantamark

User status: Offline
7th Apr 09 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh dear God.

Just had my dad on the phone, my cousin has decided she is getting married, and its dead short notice, now she doesnt have much money and has asked me, seeing as i have a camera, would i do it.

Now, part of me is jumping with joy, i'm not doing it for money, i'm happy as its something i've always wanted to have a go at.

Problem is, i'm bricking it.

I don't exactly have the best kit, and have little experience in general, i have mostly shot animals & landscape, so doing a wedding as my first human shots, kinda scares me.

What if i cock it up?

Basically, the point of this post is, does anyone have any tips, tricks of the trade or anything like that?

Its going to be set at a registry office, so no grand buildings, but i do know she has a dress, so should look rather pretty, is there anything i can do to improve the pics i will take?

I have already started shooting in Raw, so i can adjust the photos after.

Im hoping for some nice weather, as there is a park with a river near by for some shots afterwards, but if the weather turns bad, is there anything i can do?

Will be shot in Morpeth, Northumberland.

See my sig for gear list, is there anything in there i should rule out for shooting with?

Think there will be around 30-40 people, but im hoping to confirm numbers.

Again, any advice would be much appreciated as i'm now worried about it!

Thanks.

Mark.

7th Apr 09 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taking the quality of the shots out of it - do you know what standard photos to take (which groups of people with who, when to get shots during the service, of the rings, etc. etc.?)
mantamark

7th Apr 09 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to speak with her tomorrow & see if she has any specific photos she wants, if not i have found a decent list that i can work off, but going to whittle it down to make it more specific to this wedding.
Cosmo

7th Apr 09 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id suggest tryng to get a look at some examples that others have already done (if you can find a bridal fayre near you, then you'll find a load of wedding photographers there with tons of made up bridal albums).
mantamark

7th Apr 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good plan batman, i only have 2 weeks, so i will probs go to wh smiths & read some wedding mags
Cosmo

7th Apr 09 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You might be able to see some examples of pics taken on photographers websites as well
Matt L

8th Apr 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check on talkphotography theres loads of threads like this

good luck, always something i have wanted to try.
mantamark

8th Apr 09 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've posted on there too mate, just thought i'd ask on here incase anyone had done one before.

I havnt even been to a wedding as a guest before, i dont know what to expect!
Scotty_B

8th Apr 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have a flash gun and fast glass?
xa0s
Banned

8th Apr 09 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same position.

From what I've discovered so far, flash-gun's are a no-no. I've been told to forget them and only once in a blue moon will you be able to use them.

In which case, you really need to get to the said church and look at the lighting conditions -- have you got any glass fast enough for the job? You may need a tripod to steady your hand too.

I've only ever been to one wedding in my life, and that's when I was about 9. I have no-idea how a wedding goes along and as said above, I certainly wouldn't know what I would be expected to capture.

I'd love to have a go at wedding photography, as I've been asked several times now but I'm genuinely worried. What if my camera broke? What if I dropped the lens I was intending on using?

All the big wedding photographers have spares, and spares for spares for absolutely everything and there's no-way I can afford extra bodies and so on.

If they genuinely can't afford a well-known photographer, then go for it... But sit them down and explain all the risks that are out of your control. Detail them on a bit of paper just so you're both aware.

It's a scary business...
JonnyJ

8th Apr 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
I'm in the same position.

From what I've discovered so far, flash-gun's are a no-no. I've been told to forget them and only once in a blue moon will you be able to use them.

Flash guns can be used. You can use them for the set up shots with the bride and groom and aslo group shots or as some fill light if your shooting with the sun in the bg. Granted for the candid shots you get as you move around you wont be getting chance to set up a few off camera flashes.

I've got one coming up in May. I agree its very nerve racking. Best tip i can provide is just prepare THOROUGHLY. Get yourself the the venue, have a look around, write down the types of shots you need to get. Go over the with couple and discuss what they would like, show them some websites for inspiration but also check loads yourself. For instance does the bride want before shots of her and the bridesmaids preparing and getting ready. Make sure you have an itinerary of the day so you know what is happening and when. If your not going to have multiple bodies your going to know when you are going to need what type of lens on at any moment. Keep firing off shots all the time if you take 2000 photos you bound to have a plently of useable ones in there.

When your checking out the venue note where the sun/light is going to be when things are happening, that way you can make sure your going to be stood in the right place at the right time. Its a lot harder than it looks, just make sure your going to be ready for it. You only get one shot!

Its also important you find out if the church/venue allows photos to be taken during exchanging of the vows. Some do and some dont allow it so make sure you know.

One of the best guys ive found is David Pullum. Have a look at his website for inspiration.

http://www.dpphotography.co.uk/

Thats about the best i can offer. Oh and maybe pray for some good weather as that makes it a tiny bit easier!
DaveB

9th Apr 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My partner and I do around 25 weddings a year, take a look at some of our work if you like:

http://www.2007bc.co.uk

mantamark

9th Apr 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus Dave, is there anything you can't do?

Some cool stuff in there mate.

Can i ask what gear you use when shooting?

Thanks guys for all the advice, i'm actually starting to look forward to it!
DaveB

9th Apr 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol

Relatively old bodies really; a canon 20d and a canon 40d.

We've got about 10 different lenses; my usual one being a 70-200mm f2.8.

If you want a good tip, I'd take a selection of cards; swop after each significant part of the day;

preperation
ceremony
afterwards
wedding breakfast
reception

that way if a card fails you don't loose all your pictures.

[Edited on 09-04-2009 by DaveB]

[Edited on 09-04-2009 by DaveB]
mantamark

9th Apr 09 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah cool, i've got

Canon 400D | 18-55mm EF-S II | EF90-300MM NON USM | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO DG Macro | Sigma 10-20mm | Broken Canon 28mm 2.8 | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488RC2

Looking at using lesesforhire to hire a 24-70 f2.8 for the day, either need to buy or hire a flashgun.

Got 1,2 &4 gb cards, going to get either another 2 4gb's or one 8gb, not sure if i want to trust loosing up to 8gb on one card :?
DaveB

9th Apr 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We do c. 800-900 photos on a full day - 9am - 8pm

I'd start with the smaller cards and work up personally.
Scotty_B

10th Apr 09 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mantamark
Ah cool, i've got

Canon 400D | 18-55mm EF-S II | EF90-300MM NON USM | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Sigma 70-300mm 4-5.6 APO DG Macro | Sigma 10-20mm | Broken Canon 28mm 2.8 | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488RC2

Looking at using lesesforhire to hire a 24-70 f2.8 for the day, either need to buy or hire a flashgun.

Got 1,2 &4 gb cards, going to get either another 2 4gb's or one 8gb, not sure if i want to trust loosing up to 8gb on one card :?

Defo hire a 2.8 lens amd a flashgun.
mantamark

10th Apr 09 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Know where i can hire a flashgun from?
Scotty_B

11th Apr 09 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure if Calumet hire guns.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 09 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done them in the past and hired gear from Calumet. I got a 1Ds Mk2 which I used as main body with a wide lens on, gave my 1D to another friend with the 70-200 2.8 mounted so he could walk around getting candids while I was doing the formal stuff. Plenty of cards and batteries as well.

You need a plan for where you're going to be relative to every bit of action going on so it helps if you get very familiar with the ceremony and exactly what is going to work based on the amount of time that you have to get in there and how much light/support/movement you have for each main shot you want.

Group stuff isn't techincally so difficult but you'll need to be able to call the odds and tell people what to do - as well as insisting on a pre-prepared list of every group, who is in it, preferably choregraphed so people aren't standing around waiting for their turn. Helps if you do the bigger groups first then they can bugger off while you do the smaller parties.

Good luck.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Apr 09 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorSRi_BT
Not sure if Calumet hire guns.
My local one does, they do everything from bodies and lenses to studio lighting.
mantamark

13th Apr 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info mate, there isnt one near me to collect from though

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » 1st Time Wedding Photography? 23 database queries in 0.0166020 seconds