corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » smoothing arches

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author smoothing arches
jibjob

User status: Offline
13th Apr 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for people that have done it before what is the best way to smooth:

arches into the bodywork?
arches into bumpers
bumpers to wings?

and what is the best stuff to use? im going to do it myself as ive done a few other bits and pieces and theyve turned out pretty much spot on.

cheers
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

13th Apr 09 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had all my arches smoothed into the wings and rear 3/4 panels using fibreglass and filler, held for over 18 months and still going strong now.

Very very solid!

I would advise against smoothing the arches and wings into your bumpers, I considered this but was so so so glad I didn't as the amount of times I had the front bumper off to either change it or repair and respray it would have had to be a full front end respray otherwise.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
jibjob

13th Apr 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh fair enough mate so a fibreglass base and then smooth over the top?

did you do it yourself or was it a bodyshop?
jimmy 2.1

13th Apr 09 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bumpers, wings and arches were all smoothed together on my old van.

If the job's done right (plenty of brackets) then it shouldn't crack. I had it a good couple of years and it hadn't cracked and its still going now without any signs
jibjob

13th Apr 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate. i dont supose you have any of the names of the parts id need so i get the best bits and maybe even a bit of a guide?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

13th Apr 09 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was done by SBS-Bodystyling.

Take the body back to bare metal, rough up the plastic arches. Then begin to join the sections with fibreglass!

Make sure you have the plastic arch fixed solid before you begin!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
jibjob

13th Apr 09 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one mate i'll give it a go and take some pics see how it comes out

can anyone recommend a good fibreglass and hardener and then a good filler?
a_j_mair

14th Apr 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best way imo is to cut arches of another car you like the look of and then get the plastic arches vut out and metal welded in

id agree with Daniel about the bumpers, more for the inconvienience or if you hit the bumper on anything could cause major ball ache
DaveyLC

14th Apr 09 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really bad idea to try and fill between ABS plastic and steel.
Fad

14th Apr 09 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed with Davey
Tomnova16
Premium Member

14th Apr 09 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

page 14 onwards
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=253317&page=14

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
jibjob

17th Apr 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quick update had a go at doing it today and think ive made pretty good progress for my first time. pics are in my garage. it says mix resin to 1-3% hardener so i did 300ml resin to about 4.5-5ml of hardener so should be ok. if people could take a look and tell me if ive done anything wrong or need to do anything else. i know i still need to sand and filler etc.

[Edited on 17-04-2009 by jibjob]
Tomnova16
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if those pics are after the resin has been put on then definatly not enough resin, the glass fibre should go transparent and take on the colour of the resin, usually a pinky brown colour, also before you started you should of sanded the paint back to bare metal or at least keyed up with some 40 grit. did you bond the arches on first?

jibjob

17th Apr 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh well ive still got alot left over so ill do some more tomorrow. i used a very coarse aluminium oxide paper first but only up as far as i was going to put the fibreglass as i will be using it daily until it gets sprayed. the arches are all glued on with this stuff called "pooflex" its the same as sikaflex so very strong with no give. thanks for the advice mate as its my first time doing it im a bit hit and miss with it lol i'll touch it up more tomorrow
Tomnova16
Premium Member

17th Apr 09 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

couldnt tell if it was keyed up in the pics, might pay to do the job prperly first time round and take it off the road for a couple of days or you may get water trapped in it which will come through once painted

jibjob

18th Apr 09 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye if off the road until monday anyway so by that time i should have fillered and primered it so i should be ok. how many layers of matting did you use? ive only used one as thats all i bought would you suggest putting a couple more layers on it?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Apr 09 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at least three layers with a good overlap

jibjob

18th Apr 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate cheers. would you say i used the right mix of resin to hardener....100ml resin to 4-5ml hardener? i'll pop down to parts warehouse get a bit more matting. did you use any specific resin/ harnder or are they all just as good as each other?
jibjob

18th Apr 09 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would you sand the fibreglass down fully first or just tidy it up and then filler?
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Apr 09 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just tidy up the fibre glass before filler or you lose the strength, ratio is correct you just need to get alot more resin penetrating the glass fibre sheet, any fibre glass resin should be ok halfords is well over priced though.

jibjob

18th Apr 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate nice one ive just ordered a load more matting and resin so i'll give it another go when it gets here. it was a lot cheaper than halfords

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » smoothing arches 23 database queries in 0.0123241 seconds