corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Golf - anyone play?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Golf - anyone play?
Carl

User status: Offline
4th May 09 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All my mates have started playing, been today for first time and i'm rubbish, I hit 1 good shot in every 5! Think I might go for lessons or something as it is frustrating as anything.

Anyone else play? any tips? I've been watching a few vids on the net going to go down to the driving range and get a bit of practice in I think.
will_doyle
Banned

4th May 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I play

Handicap is 18

Its not an easy game.

I suggest that you go and get some 1on1 lessons with a pro at yr local club.
will_doyle
Banned

4th May 09 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Practice makes Permanent
Tom G

4th May 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hit the local drivingg range every week with a mate, but never really go on course's as i will fail as hard as will_doyle does in his daily goings.......
Carl

4th May 09 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Glover
I hit the local drivingg range every week with a mate, but never really go on course's as i will fail as hard as will_doyle does in his daily goings.......

This was a 9 hole jobby, most holes 300yards a few 180ish ones. I went around in 72. Most of my shots were across the floor 30-40 yards away. Not bad at putting though and did a few nice chips.
mattk

4th May 09 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been 3 or 4 times, I hated it at first, its a laugh if your with people who dont take it too seriously
Tom G

4th May 09 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
Ive been 3 or 4 times, I hated it at first, its a laugh if your with people who dont take it too seriously

Yeah i jus go for something to do really, I wouldn't want to go on a course also with people queing to play behind would put me off etc...
Carl

4th May 09 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I imagine it is better when you can actually hit a ball straight, I was getting pissed off to be honest, 9 holes is just right 18 ii'd have been bored as.
mattk

4th May 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alot of the bollocks people chat about golf actually helps though

dont try to hit the ball try to swing through it ect
mattk

4th May 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and GOLF stands for Gentlmen Only Ladies Forbidden
a_j_mair

4th May 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been playing since i was 13 or 14

gave up for a few years when cars drink women and college appeared

started playing again 3 or 4 years ago.

last year was interupted with a pregnant gf and bnirth of our daughter but trying to play at least once a week this year

heading to spain for a week in early september aswell

practise makes perfect, get some lessons before you pick up bad habits

I reckon to get consistency which it is all about you need to play minimum once a week better to be 2 or 3 times
a_j_mair

4th May 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you relax and dont try and murder every shot you will play far better

golf is a game you have to think about to get good, not just whack it as hard as you can every hole

hitting it 100 yards down the middle is far better than 200 yards into the rough

i have started trying to think more about position for next shot etc, best shot into the green as i was very much hit it as far as i can

im down to 15 handicap just now i think but hope to be down to single figures by the end of the season if i can keep the practice going
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

4th May 09 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice easy swing

feet level with the ball directly in between the line of your feet
Carl

4th May 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm quite good at that, I don't try and hit it hard as I can, I take it steady but think I need coaching on the actual swing and positioning type stuff as i'm so inconsistant there will be quite a few fundamental things i'll be doing wrong.
BluKoo

4th May 09 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a set of clubs, but i'm rubbish at playing.

I still enjoy it, even though i'm shit.
allza

4th May 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to play a lot when I was younger. Got handicap down to 7 when I was about 15. Then cars booze and work got in the way I guess! Still play occasionally but to get good you have to play all the time. Still can hit it far but not a consistant strike with my irons. Feels good though then you start making perfect contact and getting backspin in your shots . Most Important things are stance and grip. I always thought pulling the club away as smoothly as possible helps too. Also lay a club down when practicing to help with alignment.
Ellis

4th May 09 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I play, although after I left junior pennant I haven't played as much...

Handicap is currently 9
Mad Moe

4th May 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been playing about 3-4 years now and I've steadily progressed down to a handicap of 18 but I think I've hit my peak as my handicap has budged for the last year or so, hoping the new clubs will change that though!

As said it not a easy game to begin with and the best advice I could give is to get your own clubs, go and have lessons with a Pro and make sure you pratice what you're taught whether it be on the course or at the driving range. Also worth buying Golf magazines as some of the guides the they run have some really useful tips!
Liam

4th May 09 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go to the driving range, and the pitch and putt, i'm not good enough for the real course
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

4th May 09 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad was the pro at romley golf club and then at formby golf club
Now he refferees for the pga

I used to play golf quite a bit wim and my brother but it bores the crap outa me now
Eck
Premium Member

4th May 09 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As folk have said, don't try to knock the skin off the ball. Just give a smooth steady swing! But you could head along to your local driving range, they normally have a pro along (the one local to me has a tutor at least twice a week) and you can book an hour with him, just getting advice on how to hit certain shots with certain clubs! Once you get the hang of it it's great fun!
Adam_B

5th May 09 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to play loads when i was younger, i used to like it as i just thought of it as a walk in the countryside but hitting a little ball every so often. Keep meaning to get back into it but never seem to have time.

CS Golf meet anyone?

[Edited on 05-05-2009 by Adam_B]
Tommy L

5th May 09 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are serious about playing and not just for a laugh with mates then i would get a few hours of lessons from a professional.

He will be able to alter your swing, grip, stance etc to suit you better and get you feeling more comfortable, and you will see improvements. Not only with distance but accuracy and consistency which is what you need.

The main bit of advice i can give is keep your head down. This was my biggest problem and once i sorted this out my handicap came down loads.

Ive been meaning to get back into golf properly for ages and haven't played properly/regulary for just over 2 years I think it was cos my handicap wasn't getting cut for a while and it stayed at 8 and kind of lost interest. But one of my mates has started playing now so hopefully i;ll start playing again
Neo

5th May 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B

CS Golf meet anyone?

IIRC a small group used to attend top golf driving range every now and again

I go down the driving range 3 or 4 times a month when i'm stressed for a few hours. Works wonders
corsa - gus

5th May 09 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love a swing with the golf sticks, never can play enough golf tbh! I've bought new everything this year, and its possibly the worst move I have ever made, I can't hit anywhere near as big anymore which is making me try and murder everything. Got myself booked in for a few lessons with my mate as hes a pro, so hopefully get it sorted and get my handicap back into a decent figure.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Golf - anyone play? 22 database queries in 0.1226089 seconds