corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Open University

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Open University
C2RL R

User status: Offline
18th May 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm thinking about doing an open university course to get myself a degree. has anyone on here done it?
apparently i can submit details of my previous education to bring down the number of units i will have to do, it's called a credit transfer. i have done a hnc and then went back to do the extra units to turn that into a hnd. i need to send them my results and also the syllabus from the course. i have my results and my certificates but i'm fucked if i can find the course syllabus. i'm gonna have to get in touch with edexcel and see if they can send me it.

is it difficult to learn on your own? i've always found that i do better in a classroom situation but that option is no longer available to me.
ed

18th May 09 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Mum did an MSc through OU.

You'll find that even if you were a full time student, to get the highest grades and to be the best, you're going to be self teaching yourself a large amount of new skills anyway. Be it new computer software, extra reading or any number of things depending on the course. I guess the major difference is you are doing everything via distance learning with the OU.
swill_omnibus

18th May 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mums also doing a degree through the open university. She will be graduating October time, said best thing she's ever done

Aslong as you got the time to read the topics and so on you should do fine, and the tutors are only an email away for assistance anyway.

Go for it

[Edited on 18-05-2009 by swill_omnibus]
John

18th May 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look at the RDI site as well, they don't have as big a selection as the OU though.
Aaron

18th May 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have to be the "right" kind of person to do it...and more importantly stick at it.

Personally speaking...i couldnt do it. In a learning environment, i need to be in a classroom with other students (hense why i decided to do my Degree the way i've done it)

However, saying that...a chap i work with has just got himself a 1st doing an OU Degree....mind you, it took him 7 years
C2RL R

18th May 09 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

back in 2006 when i completed my HND i had the option to do a degree on day release from work. like a dick i decided i didn't want to do it. now i don't have the choice so distance learing is my only option. i think i'm gonna see how much of the course i can knock off due to having a HND then i'll have a better picture of how long it will take me.
Aaron

18th May 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the best with it
Colin

18th May 09 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Takes ages doesnt it!? Worthwhile though if you think you will get where you want to be with it, even better if your company will pay for it!!

Im doing open learning of sorts, its just a city & guilds type thing but thats going to take 4yrs to complete.
StueyBoy1989

18th May 09 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depens if you have alot of experience as you get older and apply for higher positions its more down to experience than qualifications i thinks.
Colin

18th May 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both help tbh, & a lack of either will stop you in your tracks if you wish to move upwards.
C2RL R

18th May 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 11 years experience but keep getting overlooked for promotions because the company i work for favour people who have a degree and letters after their name. i'm pretty sure work will pay for it and it's got to lead to a better job in the future. i don't want it to take too long though really as i'll get bored!

John - i've never heard of this RDI you speak of. i'll check it out in a min though.
StueyBoy1989

18th May 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

out of interests what do you do?
Colin

18th May 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Process tech/manufacturing wasnt it?? Or was that someone else??

Ive just been taken on by Shell UK & they have set out my my next 4 years development for me.

1st 2 years involves me doing a NVQ III in my maintenance discipline, along with 5 open learning modules.

Following 2yrs I move over to the ops side of the upstream business & do another NVQ III this time in Process ops & another 7 open learning modules.

Ive already got 2x ONC's & 2x HNC's.

By that time im recognised as a senior technician. If I want to progress any further which I probably will then they will fund any courses I want to do degree or otherwise.
C2RL R

18th May 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by StueyBoy1989
out of interests what do you do?

electrical engineer mate. i'm gonna be doing the bachelor of engineering degree so i'll get to put BEng (Hons) after my name...if i pass.
C2RL R

18th May 09 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my gaffer has said he will pay for my degree
StueyBoy1989

18th May 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh right who do you work for?

Shell seem to have sorted you out then , im currently doing a part time degree in Quantity Surveying, 5 years long old time.
C2RL R

11th Jun 09 at 06:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just heard back from the OU. they have processed my credit transfer and have knocked off 175 points due to the HND i finished 3 years ago. therefore i only require a further 185 points to gain the Bachelor of Engineering degree. if i study hard i could easily do that in 2 years.

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by C2RL R]
swill_omnibus

11th Jun 09 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done You deffinatly going for it?
ed

11th Jun 09 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 years graft for a BEng is worth it, go for it!
C2RL R

11th Jun 09 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thanks fellas i think i'm definately going to do it. i'd be silly not to, especially since work are paying.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Open University 22 database queries in 0.3314040 seconds