corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheel Spacers, some advise please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel Spacers, some advise please
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st May 09 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chaps,

I need to get some wheel spacers for Kirstys 106 (1.1 with GTi 14's on). The rear wheels are very close to the back of the arch and it does rub with a full load in it. Fronts are 100% OK.

After doing some research, there are two types of spacer; Hubcentric and non.

The wheel needs to go out a maximum of 10mm, minimum of say 5, it's not for looks or handling, its to stop them catching!!!

What should I be buying? Some 10mm hubcentrics? With 10mm hubcentrics, will I get longer bolts that go through the spacer and into the hub?

Would normal "cheap" spacers be alright? (heard horror stories of these being really bad though, all of the weight of the car on the bolts can cause big problems?

Thanks in advance
unionjack30

21st May 09 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheap spacers with longer wheel bolts should be alrite as there not on the front so u shouldn get any wheel woble
pow
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks but "should be alright" and "wheels wobble" isn't really what I wanna her. My girlfriend goes up and down the A3 every day in this car.
alan-g-w

22nd May 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's nothing wrong with what he said and it's totally sound advice. I've got 5mm spacers on the front using standard bolts and don't get any wobble even at high speed. Don't know anything about pugs, you might need longer wheel bolts. But I doubt it.

If wording it different makes you feel any better, they will be fine and the wheels will be on solid. All you're doing is bringing the face of the hub out 5mm. More than good enough to drive down the A3 every day.
harrisp

22nd May 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with 5mm wont the middle part of the hub still be in the wheel? if it is then you will be fine using non hub centric spacers.
Gareth F

23rd May 09 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just had 5mm spacers on the front of my corsa and i needed to get longer wheel bolts as the old bolts only turned 2 1/2 turns so they were classed as dangerous.
alan-g-w

23rd May 09 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been driving for a year and a half with 5mm spacers and standard wheel bolts and they're fine. Is it the place that's charging you for the longer bolts that's telling you that by any chance?
Gareth F

23rd May 09 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, friends garage. The wheel bolts that were on it were quite short and there was thread damage to one where it didnt bite properly. They said it could be fine but didnt want to risk it and gave me the option. Was only about £1.89 a bolt or something.
Better safe than sorry imo
alan-g-w

23rd May 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough to the damaged threads. But new standard bolts would have been cheaper and just as effective.
pow
Premium Member

23rd May 09 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do I get longer wheel bolts from?
unionjack30

23rd May 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

halfords can order them in at about 99p each, cheapest i could find when i got some

New Poll