corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Track day advice?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track day advice?
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
11th Jun 09 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bear with me on this one

I'm looking at getting a track session at trax this year first of all is any one else going to be going on from here? And also iv never been on track before as a passenger or driver so is it advisable to do it as my first one or am i better off getting one in before then and although it's only a 1.4 sri corsa c it would still be good fun no?
oli_the_thread

11th Jun 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a track session at Trax last year in a 1ltr citroen AX and still found myself passing other cars, but all in all a VERY good experience. Just keep a good check of your surroundings and get out the way of anything likely to be more powerful!
Ste
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt, get over to weekendracer.co.uk.

Just get a few sessions booked, as one won't be enough. You WILL get hooked.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah cool so it will still be good fun then, to be honest i wont be trying to go to quick as it's my first time, any advice on brakes ect as herd about getting bad brake fade ect? And prep i would need to do?
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Matt, get over to weekendracer.co.uk.

Just get a few sessions booked, as one won't be enough. You WILL get hooked.

For got about this site cheers going on now
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Jun 09 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil and water and ensure brakes and tyres are in good condition but it's no more taxing than a spirited cross-country blast if you're not going too crazy.
AK

11th Jun 09 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know why but I dont class the show sessions as trackdays.

The ones I have seen (never done one) tend have a fairly wild mix of cars and drivers.

Suppose thats no different to any trackday really

I think I just prefer an full on trackday rather than a 15min 'go'
AK

11th Jun 09 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup.... a session shouldnt kill your brakes and tyres if you arent spanking the arse off it

If you start upgrading the list is kinda endless.
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Oil and water and ensure brakes and tyres are in good condition but it's no more taxing than a spirited cross-country blast if you're not going too crazy.

I read a little while ago about Gavin ( with the red type r ) changing his brake pad's to ferrodo racing pad's and better grade brake oil, my pad's need changing soon as are low so is it worth changing them to a set along them lines?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Jun 09 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't imagine you'll need anything special. You're not out particularly long.
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
i dont know why but I dont class the show sessions as trackdays.

The ones I have seen (never done one) tend have a fairly wild mix of cars and drivers.

Suppose thats no different to any trackday really

I think I just prefer an full on trackday rather than a 15min 'go'

Would it be better then to attend a proper track day instead of a session at trax or use trax as abit of a taster? just abit worried your going to get some idiots going out with it being a big show and all?

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by SXI - Matt]
AK

11th Jun 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather do a trackday than trax, but thats my preference and suits me and my cars more.

I think a short session at Trax would be a good taster. A good all dat trackday will hit you for about £200 before consumables.

If you need new pads, change them and bed them in before the track session. BUT if you arent needing anything, just make sure the car is in good health. A 1.4 Corsa (or is it 1.8) isnt going to be heavy on tyres/brakes etc.

Once youve done the short sesison that'll give you an idea on what you NEED to change if your keen on doing more trackdays.
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok that helps alot ak and it'a only a baby 1.4 so see what you mean even if do push it wont be heavy on tyres ect, think ill defiantly try the trax then first and go from there thanks every one else to big help! Take it you get a briefing ect when your there?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a session at the Castle Combe Spring Performance action day this year. I was in my 1.2 16v B and it was boss

Despite being the smallest engine car on track, I spent the first about 4 laps on the back bumper of Andy Stocker's Impreza and from seeing videos since I've found out that I did a fair job of gaining on a 206 GTi.

All that was just down to drivers tho, I took it easy the first couple of laps but got into it quite quickly whereas others where taking it easy for the whole session, hence why I could keep up or gain on much faster cars.

Personally I'd prefer a Castle Combe Action day over Trax. The action days are fully focused on the track action, it isn't really a show as such. Trax being a show attracts a different type of person to a point, ie. it's often referred to as a chav fest which makes it more likely you're gonna get the boy racers out on track that haven't got a clue but think they're the next Lewis Hamilton.

That may just be my impression of it tho.
Kurt

11th Jun 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in the same boat as you, hoping to do my first with cs/wr at the next coombe, ill be taking it easy somewhere at the back tbh.. although me and Mattk have a bit of GP rivalrly
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Im in the same boat as you, hoping to do my first with cs/wr at the next coombe, ill be taking it easy somewhere at the back tbh.. although me and Mattk have a bit of GP rivalrly

What dates this? Maybe interested would'nt mind even coming along to have a watch see what it's all about to although id end up itching to go on track
SXI - Matt

11th Jun 09 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd prefer a Castle Combe Action day over Trax. The action days are fully focused on the track action, it isn't really a show as such. Trax being a show attracts a different type of person to a point, ie. it's often referred to as a chav fest which makes it more likely you're gonna get the boy racers out on track that haven't got a clue but think they're the next Lewis Hamilton.

I was thinking this, although it's split up so you have a beginner session so hopefully would'nt be to bad and it's quite early at 9 to so might go for that one, defiantly going to have ago at one though

[Edited on 11-06-2009 by SXI - Matt]
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 23:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Castle combe is the day before Trax mate. It's gonna be a big cs/wr weekend
AlunJ

12th Jun 09 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm glad you've asked this question actually, I myself wouldn't mind going out on a track, but driving a 1.4 C I was kind of put off. Keep saying I'm going to go down to Pembrey and have a bit of track tuition. Everyone I've spoken to has said its addictive
SXI - Matt

12th Jun 09 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
I'm glad you've asked this question actually, I myself wouldn't mind going out on a track, but driving a 1.4 C I was kind of put off. Keep saying I'm going to go down to Pembrey and have a bit of track tuition. Everyone I've spoken to has said its addictive

I was the same mate worried about it only being a 1.4 but if im honest i would rather try it in a smaller engine instead of a bigger engined car as would probably get carried away, only thing i am doing is getting some spax rsx coil overs fitted was going to get them any way but now got a better reason
SXI - Matt

12th Jun 09 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Castle combe is the day before Trax mate. It's gonna be a big cs/wr weekend

Ill get over to weekendracer.co.uk and get some more info cheers
jr

12th Jun 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as people have said, castle combe is a far far better place to have a go for the 1st time

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Track day advice? 23 database queries in 0.0980451 seconds