corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » aprilia rs 125

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author aprilia rs 125
alan t

User status: Offline
14th Jun 09 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been thinking about getting myself a motorbike lately as a few people at works got them but i havent realy got the money to do the bike test. i was told though if i do a cbt then i could get a 125 but have to use L plates on it. so ive been looking at aprilia rs 125's and thinking about getting one. got an insurance quote for £200 for third party fire and theft which seemed pretty good to me. im not very clued up with bikes though so does anyone know anything about these? the only thing which puts me off is 2 strokes are supposingly more work to maintain than the 4 strokes. ive heard they need engine rebuilds every 10,000 miles. is this true? also with it being a one cylinder will it sound like a hairdryer? lol. seems to be a few aftermarket exhausts availible for these so hopefully it will beefen the noise up a bit

any help would be much appreciated, cheers
alan t

14th Jun 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or the other option is a Cagiva mito 125 if anyone knows anything about these?
sand-eel

14th Jun 09 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would get a cagiva mito EVO, the EVO is de-restricted from factory.
Paul_J

I've got a aprilia 125 RS (derestricted)... To be honest, I just haven't 'bothered' doing my full bike test, because i can have enough fun on the 125 RS.

derestricted = 34 bhp... 0-60 ~ 6 secs, 110 mph top speed (after 70 mph they're very slow tho).

However, a 125 RS is all about the corners, so light and chuckable in the sweeping bends.

Biggest cause of 2 strokes needing rebuilds is people not topping them up with oil enough. As long as you keep the oil topped up it'll probably be fine. I've seized mine once, but the radiator popped causing it to overheat and seize. It didn't cost much to get a the cylinder honed and a new piston. So I don't really worry about it needing rebuilding.
sand-eel

...and looks the best IMO
Paul_J

14th Jun 09 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cagiva Mito is very similar bike.

sand-eel

14th Jun 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the carl fogarty reps are nice indeed.
Paul_J

14th Jun 09 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cagiva Mito's seem overpriced though? When I was looking at them about 5-6 years ago I could get them for £1500, and just had a look now and they're still £1250-£1500

My Aprilia RS cost me £500.
alan t

14th Jun 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for that guys, yours looks lovely paul. how much did you pay for it if you dont mind? theres a lovely one on ebay just now, buy it now for £1500 a ps2 limited edition one.
alan t

14th Jun 09 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a baragin that paul. how does the bike sound for it being a one cylinder?
richc

14th Jun 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan t

With aftermarket exhaust - 9/10 of them sound awful!

Youtube
Paul_J

14th Jun 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan t

It did require a respray though... So ~ £800.

The noise is as you'd expect for a 125 2 stroke, like a bee in a tin can... But i actually like the noise now. It's just at idle it sounds shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNw6VdXqPI

Enjoy the noise

alan t

14th Jun 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha no probs, thanks for that mate. looks a good respray though.
dan-sport

14th Jun 09 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

high revs it sounds alright paul just as you said low revs/idle its a lawn mower
Ojc

14th Jun 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been looking at them again, can get quite new ones with low mileage for £2500.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/bikes/APRILIA+RS/Ne-2-4-7-8-27-64-104-133-146-236,N-117-239-4294967060-4294967062/advert.action?R=200921334589898&distance=42&postcode=RG31+4ER&channel=BIKES&make=APRILIA&model=RS&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2006&vehicleRegLetter=06

Ojc

14th Jun 09 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the new Transformers as well

CammyMick

14th Jun 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not a fan of 125 as ive been riding 600cc's and when i sit on a scooter or 125 i think holy shit, no weight to it, but if i was to recomend one that was cheap, fast and good it would definetly be the caviga moto 125

An old RS125 overhauled is a good bike, aslong as its not fucked, and if you want a 125 thats as fast as a 600? TZR-125 - very very rare bike though, but fucking fast, ive seen them keep up with CBR 600's and i thought holy shit, no way, but i think it was bored out to 175cc and had allot of money into it, but standard, they are the fastest 125 by a long run.

also

Huyosung commet - cant spell hyosung or w/e the maker is, google it and it will sort it, they make a few nice bikes including one that looks like the apprilia RS - but much nicer colours
barter

14th Jun 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CammyMick
Im not a fan of 125 as ive been riding 600cc's and when i sit on a scooter or 125 i think holy shit, no weight to it, but if i was to recomend one that was cheap, fast and good it would definetly be the caviga moto 125

An old RS125 overhauled is a good bike, aslong as its not fucked, and if you want a 125 thats as fast as a 600? TZR-125 - very very rare bike though, but fucking fast, ive seen them keep up with CBR 600's and i thought holy shit, no way, but i think it was bored out to 175cc and had allot of money into it, but standard, they are the fastest 125 by a long run.

also

Huyosung commet - cant spell hyosung or w/e the maker is, google it and it will sort it, they make a few nice bikes including one that looks like the apprilia RS - but much nicer colours

a mate has a tzr couldnt belive the speed of it.personally i dont think the tzr is a nice looking bike though
Liam B

14th Jun 09 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mates got a TZR50, really nice lookin bikes for 50cc, isn't an Aprillia RS125 Chesterfield the fastest 125 around?
Ojc

14th Jun 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone used to say that the Extrema and the Chesterfield were faster, but they weren't. Just different sticker set.
CammyMick

14th Jun 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by barter
quote:
Originally posted by CammyMick

also

a mate has a tzr couldnt belive the speed of it.personally i dont think the tzr is a nice looking bike though

Yup, they look too outdated

personally, choked bikes are my favortie as you can ram more fuel into them by perpous

but it pops n bangs like a bitch though, but sounds good, my zx6r would pop and bang upon gear change, 1 - 2nd bang 2-3 bang, sounded great
alan t

14th Jun 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all your input folks. think i'l go for the rs125. theres a few cheap ones on pistonheads. roll on payday! haha
Ojc

14th Jun 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pistonheads?
alan t

14th Jun 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, i never knew the advertised bikes on pistonheads till i looked earlier on
Root

14th Jun 09 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd be silly to buy an RS125. There are those that say "if you don't hammer it, they are reliable", but everyone I know that's had one they've been in the garage every few weeks...

Get a NSR125, they're almost the same speed, very nippy but made by Honda, so you know it's a solid engine.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » aprilia rs 125 22 database queries in 0.0187891 seconds