corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » VAG boys - Swapping Dials Out

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author VAG boys - Swapping Dials Out
dan_m1les

User status: Offline
17th Jun 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically my MK4 Golf GTi, was a broken left peg on the dials, os I cant change the trip computer etc.

MY question is, if i swap out the dials, will my milage stay the same? As i dont know if that information is stored within the Dials computer bits or the ECU?

Anyhelp would be awesome
taylorboosh

17th Jun 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure some1 with vag com can do it and change milage and also unlock miles till empty while on?

be carefull im told not all clocks work in all cars though mate, what engine code you got? probably best off trying to get similar milage and just leaving it, slightly lower or higher. i would just leave the peg broke, it only does the clock anyway, is the time right on your clock?
pow
Premium Member

17th Jun 09 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Milage stored in the ECU, amendments and miles to empty need to be activated by VAG-TACHO
jr

17th Jun 09 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant swap clusters on a mk4 anyway iirc with a second hand set as they can only be coded onnce
John

17th Jun 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can swap them, need vagcom.

You need the pin from both the old and new clusters, there's instructions on the ross tech site.

Mileage is pulled from the cluster btw, not the ecu although it is also stored in the ECU.

[Edited on 17-06-2009 by John]
pow
Premium Member

17th Jun 09 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mean the milage is stored on the dials, duno why I said ECU
John

17th Jun 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vagcom has a function to check the ecu mileage, handy for tallying against the displayed mileage incase there are any discrepancies.
jr

17th Jun 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well once the miliage is inputed via 5051/52 you cant re enter any milage at a vw dealer
John

17th Jun 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can only change the mileage within the first 100 miles with vagom on a brand new cluster, you need other equipment to change the mileage but it can be done.
Fro

17th Jun 09 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need immo 2 clocks if you want miles to empty and illuminated needles etc i think.

New Poll