corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If you bought a car with FSH..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If you bought a car with FSH..
JayCarr

User status: Offline
19th Jun 09 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and it was serviced just before you bought it by the garage that was selling it, what would you expect to be done? When we picked it up, the sales guy said, 'its just been serviced, you dont need to worry about it until 20,000 down the road'. Now having looked through the service book in detail, at the last service it should have had the following:

pollen filter replace
air filter replacement
replace ribbed v belt
change oil and filter
replace fuel filter
And other smaller things

And none of this has been done according the book. So where do i stand? Because if i drive it for 20,000 and it blows up because of this not being done i'll be left with a big bill.

Any help would be great.
mov3d

19th Jun 09 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it serviced yourself, just for peace of mind.
Eck
Premium Member

19th Jun 09 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it back and kick up a fuss. Fuck that!
Adam_B

19th Jun 09 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They just havent serviced it. Take it back and get them told.
B3KAN

19th Jun 09 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All they would have done is changed the oil
John

19th Jun 09 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a good chance they changed the oil at most and when you question it they'll say they just didn't fill the service book in properly.
a_j_mair

19th Jun 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem with arnold clark

was supposed to be serviced nothing in the book at all

after alot of hassle the signed the book, no stamp or record of what was done

the manager was an arsehole!!! was ready to knock him out

service manager eventually managed to sort it all out for me, including fixing a seat and paying for the 2 bald tyres

best bit was the inside was gilthy with rubbish under the seat

Alot of phone calls and wasted time and got it sorted.

would have been easier to wash my hands with it tbh but wanted the cash for tyres and the seat fixed
Fonz
Premium Member

19th Jun 09 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by B3KAN
All they would have done is changed the oil

thats what happened for my car, i didnt ask for the service it wasnt part of the deal but it was insisted that it was a good deal as it is thrown in, lookin at the book later it was an oil and filter change!
JayCarr

19th Jun 09 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bu thow can they just change the oil then tell me it wont need a service for 20k? This is a main service, not an interim one so stuff actually needs replacing. If they try and blag that they just didnt tick the right boxes i'll show them the pic of the air filter. I very much doubt they would have changed the belt if they couldn't even be bothered to change the air filter.
deano87

19th Jun 09 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car which was bought privately wasn't due a service, but I got it done anyway.

Any car I'll get in the future, whether it has been serviced or not by the garage, will be going where I always go for a full service and check over, regardless.

Car dealers are car dealers at the end of the day - they'll say & do anything to get the car sold and still keep a profit margin.

[Edited on 19-06-2009 by deano87]
DaveyLC

19th Jun 09 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JayCarr
and it was serviced just before you bought it by the garage that was selling it, what would you expect to be done? When we picked it up, the sales guy said, 'its just been serviced, you dont need to worry about it until 20,000 down the road'. Now having looked through the service book in detail, at the last service it should have had the following:

pollen filter replace
air filter replacement
replace ribbed v belt
change oil and filter
replace fuel filter
And other smaller things

And none of this has been done according the book. So where do i stand? Because if i drive it for 20,000 and it blows up because of this not being done i'll be left with a big bill.

Any help would be great.

Alot of garage will just bullshit you.. What does the oil look like? If thats still black then go straight back and complain.
JayCarr

19th Jun 09 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a look at the oil when the gf gets home. But i doubt its been changed just on the basis that the air filter looked like this

deano87

19th Jun 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jay - if you want I can recommend a really good mechanic that will look after you. Just a standard back street guy but he is as honest as the day is long. Not sure if you want to keep the service book all stamped up with main dealers though?! u2u me if you want his number.
Joe

19th Jun 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil goes black after no time anyway, its no way to tell really.

At the end of the day have a go, but they are there to make money. Got to save as much as poss.
Sam
Premium Member

19th Jun 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whenever I buy a car I always get a new cam belt kit and full service done on it, regardless of who claims it's had work done to it etc. - better to pay and know it's been done rather than worry about your car blowing up down the road IMO.
CorsaSport14

19th Jun 09 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go back and tell them mate, say you dont believe the correct service has been done as theres no proof in the service book, they should have it logged on there system, a WIP (job) number, what was carried out, parts booked out to that vehicle etc etc. Thats how we do it at Toyota so id imagine its like that at every main dealer.
davcohen

19th Jun 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just fight for enough money back to buy the parts and get it serviced yourself that way you know its been done
DaveyLC

19th Jun 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe

At the end of the day have a go, but they are there to make money. Got to save as much as poss.

If the oil goes black over the few miles driving home then the engine is a dog!
Rich H

19th Jun 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The most I'd have expected of a pre sale service is a filter and oil change, and a liquids top up if they felt generous. However, based on the filter photo, I'd be suspicious as to whether anything was done.

Another thing to check (I'm sure it can be done) is the service interval left according to the car - see if they reset that etc.

Would definitely be taking it back and kicking up a fuss though to get the proper service done - even if you have to pay a bit now as otherwise that isn't full service history really!
JayCarr

19th Jun 09 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i went over there and asked what had been done in the last service, expecting them to say it had everything done that it should. And they said it was only given an interim service when it should have been a main service. Luckily i was speaking to the service manager and he said that when it goes in for the new rad he'll make sure everything that should have been done is done.

Do you think its worth making little marks on bits to check if they actually get replaced?
jr

19th Jun 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by Joe

every pd audi/vw we've ever serviced must me then, because once they are filled with oil, it doesnt keep its colour for long if at all
DaveyLC

19th Jun 09 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe

every pd audi/vw we've ever serviced must me then, because once they are filled with oil, it doesnt keep its colour for long if at all

So if you changed the oil and drove the car say 15 miles and the oil was black as bruised bollock you'ed be happy with that?
John

19th Jun 09 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People expect far too much from car dealers.

If they change the oil and oil filter that's a service.

Unless specifically offered there's no chance they're doing everything in the service book.

Oil in diesels gets black very very quickly.
DaveyLC

19th Jun 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its a main dealer I would expect a FULL service otherwise I'd be happy if they even checked the oil and gave the enginebay a squirt with "bullshit spray".
Joe

19th Jun 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe

So if you changed the oil and drove the car say 15 miles and the oil was black as bruised bollock you'ed be happy with that?

Yes if the oil is good quality it picks up the dirt very quickly. It doesn't matter if its black, the its still 15mile old oil.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If you bought a car with FSH.. 22 database queries in 0.0196729 seconds