corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any IT contractors on here?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any IT contractors on here?
Laney

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 09 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Specifically Software/Web developers.

I'm basically growing increasingly frustrated with my job, want to be my own boss (ie, decide which projects/when I work) and I'm ready for a challenge or two!

I know all the pro's and con's of contracting but I wondered if anyone on here had taken the plunge and could offer some advice
Conway563

2nd Jul 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be a contractor doing service management roles. I loved the money but in the end I want into a permanent role as the security is more important now I've got a family.
What sort of thing did you want to know?
Laney

2nd Jul 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was interesting in knowing if you thought it was worth the "risk", if you'd do it again, if you enjoyed it, if you'd advise someone else to do it etc - that kind of thing
Conway563

2nd Jul 09 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I wouldn't do it again simply because I have so many more commitments now. Luckily I'm now in a job that is basically garunteed for the next 3 years and that suits me much better. I like knowing exactly what I've got coming in each month and not having to worry what's going to happen in 3 months time

If I was still single without a house and daughter then I probably would give it a go again

[Edited on 02-07-2009 by Conway563]
DaveyLC

2nd Jul 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you want to do.. Some people go contracting so they dont have to maintain the shit that they produce, some do it because they want the freedom and the variety

I've worked for the same software house for over 8 years and love it here.. Yeah management really gets up my nose but I love my work

I've thought about contracting before but its not really a stable enough income if you've got a house etc. to pay for.
Laney

2nd Jul 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My outlook on it is that if it doesn't work out I can go back to a regular job, though I'm not sure if it'd work like that in reality. My only commitments are rent/bills, I've got no kids or partner that depend on me.
liamC

2nd Jul 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
My outlook on it is that if it doesn't work out I can go back to a regular job, though I'm not sure if it'd work like that in reality. My only commitments are rent/bills, I've got no kids or partner that depend on me.

Spot on, and with no commitments, you are in a good position to do so.

Being young and self-employed at the moment is very tough and at times makes you think 'fuck it, i want some fat cat to pay me to do a 9-5 job and have a guaranteed job'.

What sort of stuff do you do?
Matt L

2nd Jul 09 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pros: should it work and take off, youll earn good money + build up customer base etc etc and spose if it really went well you could at one point sell the company lol.

cons: potential to fail and it not take off, alot of hard work (not only with the actual job but then the keep your finances sorted otherwise an accountants bill would be pretty hefty .

worth a shot though if you have no major commitments.

there are obviously loads more pros and cons.

[Edited on 02-07-2009 by Matt L]
DaveyLC

2nd Jul 09 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...Also if you have a lazy nature don't bother you will fail. It will be hard graft to get started and you need to be prepared for that.
Laney

2nd Jul 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
quote:

Being young and self-employed at the moment is very tough and at times makes you think 'fuck it, i want some fat cat to pay me to do a 9-5 job and have a guaranteed job'.

At the moment its all Web Dev (Php,Mysql) with HTML/Javascript but I'm fully aware thats only syntax and if I was asked to do .Net/Java I'd be able to do it!

I think its just a case of leaving the safety net of the guaranteed income, easier said than done
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Jul 09 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to go down the self employed route, I would advise you saving up money to cover at least 3-6 months worth of outgoings.

You should always have a backup pot of cash in case things go wrong.
liamC

2nd Jul 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by liamC
quote:

At the moment its all Web Dev (Php,Mysql) with HTML/Javascript but I'm fully aware thats only syntax and if I was asked to do .Net/Java I'd be able to do it!

I think its just a case of leaving the safety net of the guaranteed income, easier said than done

You should start off doing it part time on a freelance basis with a full time job. If/When it kicks off, you can leave with a client base.
James

2nd Jul 09 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've contracted before, I'm a .Net developer.

It's good money, but you aren't really "your own boss", as you will be working on site and reporting into a manager. Although they have a lot less say over what you do compared to a permanent employee.

Also, it's not a good time for contracting at the moment, contracts are thin on the ground, and the contracts that are out there are getting snapped up by contractors that have been doing it for years.

How much experience do you have?
James

2nd Jul 09 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

P.s. If you think you can do .Net straight away because you have done PHP, you are very much mistaken.

I did PHP briefly at uni and it's completely different to .Net
Laney

2nd Jul 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
P.s. If you think you can do .Net straight away because you have done PHP, you are very much mistaken.

I did PHP briefly at uni and it's completely different to .Net

I'm not a complete .Net newb so I'm aware of the differences I was meaning anything you don't already know you learn quickly!

I've only got 3 years industry experience but from what I've seen of contractors its as much down to confidence and attitude as it is ability.
James

2nd Jul 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe - But most companies pick contractors based on the years of experience on their CV and nothing else.

3 years is probably just about enough to pick up the odd contract but my concern would be whether it's enough to give you contracts all the time.
Gavin
Premium Member

2nd Jul 09 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Extremely bad time to go into contracting in IT. Companies are streamlining their workforce and often even, its the contractors which are first out.

It seems that the contractor pool is huge atm with a hell of alot of people out their looking for work with less jobs available compared to previous years.

I'd probably stick as a permie for a while and see how the market reacts in the next year or so

Just my 50cents worth

pew pew pew pewwwww
Gaz

2nd Jul 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have 3 lads in work that are contractors, and they are only being given 6 month contracts.

They have told me directly that its a very hit and miss thing and if they had the chance in todays market, they would be perm employee's.

again, my 2p's worth...
John

2nd Jul 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a bad time to be any sort of contractor unless you are the best one about from what i've seen, always the first to go as has been said so you need a skill that they can't do without.

Bog standard web development isn't one of they skills.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any IT contractors on here? 23 database queries in 0.0100229 seconds