corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Working out... two things that are frustrating me!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Working out... two things that are frustrating me!
kz

User status: Offline
5th Jul 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi so after loosing my job, and the thought of going on holiday next month I've started forcing myself to do a bit of exercise / working out every day.

Now as regards to working on the arms I do push ups, single dumbells, a double dumbell (if that's what they're called!? ), pull ups and bench presses. So to point 1) With my right arm I'm ready to move on to more weight, but my left arm is just a pussy lol. How can I get it to catch up? Just can't match it fairly and it's really annoying!

2) I do suffer from back problems unfortunately which has stopped me loads of times in the past. The main one where I feel it is during push ups, I practically collapsed at only 11 push ups earlier because my back just gave in, whereas I know my arms can push a bit more. Is there a way I can improve on my style?
ssj_kakarot

5th Jul 09 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your just starting out you really want to be doing a lot of compound excersizes ( moves that target very large and multiple groups of mucles at a time) you seem to be focusing on isolation excersizes which i wouldnt advise till you have put a bit of weight and strength on all over.

suprisingly you can add quite a bit of size and strength to your arms by doing compounds like squats, dead lifts and chest press mix in some large group pulling/pushing excersizes and your onto a winner, ow and eat a lot of good food.
kz

6th Jul 09 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers fella have you got any websites you use or regime that could help?
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your core strength is probably pathetic and your posture just as bad.

You should be doing exercises like planks, AB rollouts, standing military press and chins to help wit your core and strength.

If you have access to a gym, go 3 nights a week and do this workout each night:

Wide grip lateral pulldown x 3 - sets of 14, 12, 10

Wide grip seated row x 4 sets of 16,14,12,10

Close grip/reverse grip lateral pulldown x 3 sets of 14,12,10

Bench press with olympic bar x 4 sets of 16,14,12,10

Standing military press with barbell x 4 sets of 16,14,12,10

Leg curls x 3 sets of 14,12,10

Leg extensions x3 sets of 14,12,10

Back squats x4 sets of 16,14,12,10

Ab rollouts x 3 sets of 8

plank, 30 seconds x 3
Seany

6th Jul 09 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just out of interest what kg weights are you lifting atm? and what exactly are you wanting from your workout? ie, getting huge, getting ripped/toned.
check out mens health and other fitness sites, theres loads of great info out there if you look.
Hammer

6th Jul 09 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel

Do me a favour please mate and post a pic of yourself, the patronising tone you take in any thread whatsoever to do with going to the gym or working out is becoming tedious. Are you Mr Universe?
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is that patronising? I was being honest and telling him his weaknesses and how to address them. Sorry i dont sugarcoat evreything.

Theres a pic of me in terrible shape posted somewhere on this forum but i cba to dig it out for you. Ill post one when i get back from spain next week if your that bothered though.
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:

Do me a favour please mate and post a pic of yourself, the patronising tone you take in any thread whatsoever to do with going to the gym or working out is becoming tedious. Are you Mr Universe?

I dont believe its patronising, its the truth, I blamed everything on my bad back, but since doing alot of core and back excersises to improve my posture my back has improved by a long way and it has opened up more opportunities to progress in the gym. I've had a few pointers via U2U off Dizzy and he really does know his stuff to be fair to him, he contributes alot to these threads and the only way to get through to people is by being straight up and as he puts it "not sugar coating it" which is what you need if your going to make any progress. Following a programme he wrote out for me I've made rather good gains in the gym in the short time i've been going and can definatley see and feel the difference. I dont know why he always gets bad mouthed in these threads, he doesnt have to help out so much, does it off his own back
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
I do suffer from back problems unfortunately which has stopped me loads of times in the past. The main one where I feel it is during push ups, I practically collapsed at only 11 push ups earlier because my back just gave in, whereas I know my arms can push a bit more. Is there a way I can improve on my style?

Just to add, I always always always blamed having back problems (Dont know your circumstances but then again you havent wrote why you have back problems) and I used to say "I cant do that cause of my back" after doing lower back and core excersises, obviously along with other muscle groups, within about 2 months I've gone from struggling to do, no word of a lie, 4-5 press ups and can comfortably do 50 now (I have actually just tried and got to 52) and I never do press ups as part of my training.
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long have you been training in the 20-14 rep range now? I think its time for you to move to the hypertrophy range of 14,12,10,8 reps per set of the same exercises if you have done 4-6 weeks of endurance and activation training.

I dont mind people bad mouthing me because the results i get from my own diet and training regimes speak for themselves, and the people who give me abuse are usually skinny fat cunts who read mens health and copy the workouts in there and dring loads of protein shakes and never make any progress.

Ive gone from 12.5 stone to 14 stone in 6 months following my own plan and diet (granted i was 14 stone anyway before injury and letting myself go) so if i can manage those sort of gains then i must be doing something right?
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im on the 14-8 reps in my third week, I was doing the 20-14 reps before that for about a month and before that I was just going the gym and doing an overall body workout to get me used to going. I've got my brother on the same routine as me and hes gone from 11st to 13st2 in 3 months.
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JayM
quote:
Originally posted by kz
I do suffer from back problems unfortunately which has stopped me loads of times in the past. The main one where I feel it is during push ups, I practically collapsed at only 11 push ups earlier because my back just gave in, whereas I know my arms can push a bit more. Is there a way I can improve on my style?

Just to add, I always always always blamed having back problems (Dont know your circumstances but then again you havent wrote why you have back problems) and I used to say "I cant do that cause of my back" after doing lower back and core excersises, obviously along with other muscle groups, within about 2 months I've gone from struggling to do, no word of a lie, 4-5 press ups and can comfortably do 50 now (I have actually just tried and got to 52) and I never do press ups as part of my training.

Yes exactly my point. You are only as strong as your weakest link and your back and core muscles are the base of which all your main strength comes from. Without a strong core you dont have the right foundations to build a solid house of muscle from, you will just end up doing yourself an injury as your coure will not support the loads your other muscles demand of it.

Do the activation and core drills i posted for 6 weeks on a monday, weds and friday if you are a beginner as they will address core and posture issues and allow you to carry out the required weights and exercises with good form and minimal injury risks to stimulate muscle growth in the future.
Hammer

6th Jul 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

I dont believe its patronising, its the truth, I

He can tell someone's core strength is pathetic and their posture just as bad from 1 post on an internet forum? Amazing.
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

He can tell someone's core strength is pathetic and their posture just as bad from 1 post on an internet forum? Amazing.

He said its probably pathetic, by the sounds of it, its sounds like its similair to when I first started so yeh, I think hes right. But then again its only a "probably" or a "think" until we actually know why he has back problems, but the likely hood is that his posture and core strength is poor.

[Edited on 06-07-2009 by JayM]
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yup, look at the facts:

He has only just started exercising, his exercise plan has no structure and he cant perform 10 push ups without his back giving in.

Typical office worker/keyboard jockey type with no overall stregth or conditioning in their body structure. Back pain from a simple core exercise (such as push up) proves he has a bad posture from sitting at a keyboard and behind the wheel of a car all day and no core stregnth due to spending 10 hours a day sat down. Its not his fault but its up to him to rectify it by core activation and back training.

Lets see a picture of you and determine if you have the knowledge and results to back up your constant challenges of my advice.
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
sitting behind the wheel of a car all day and no core stregnth due to spending 10 hours a day sat down

This is/was my problem, delivery driver on 11 hour shifts, 1 hour break
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Im on the 14-8 reps in my third week, I was doing the 20-14 reps before that for about a month and before that I was just going the gym and doing an overall body workout to get me used to going. I've got my brother on the same routine as me and hes gone from 11st to 13st2 in 3 months.

Good, stay on that for 6 weeks then its down to 10, 8, 6, 6 for 6 weeks then back to the hypertrophy range again. Jesus is he on gear lol?
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that I know of hes been drinking real mass weight gain shakes and eating alot, he was really really skinny before he started though so now hes eating properly hes started putting alot of wieght on but hes still got no fat on him at all. Unlike me at 13st5 but with a pot belly
DizzyRebel

6th Jul 09 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes probably a genetic freak who is programmed to grow, Give him a sniff of gear and he will be a 20 stone muscle bound warroir before the year is out lmao!

Its taken me 3 years to go from 10.5 stone to 14 stone, and i still have probably 7lb of bodyfat to shed before im in the shape i was last year before i fucked my wrist but fat loss is the easiest thing in the world, maintaning muscle mass is a whole different ball game!

You will shed fat if you keep eating a low carb diet, it might take a year for you to have visible abs but its better to gain an extra 6-7lb of muscle and loose fat slowly than loose muscle just to accelerate fat loss!
Jay

6th Jul 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im still struggling with the diet, being stuck in work for 11 hours where your not allowed to take food in with you means I only get to eat one meal from 8am - 7pm, also I'm still struggling on what exactly I need to be eating/cutting out to be on a low carb diet.

I worked out why I was progressing better on my left arm too, standing in the mirror doing barbell curls I noticed my right elbow was moving out and this is whats causing it to not develop as much, I think. Been keeping an eye on it now though. This could also be a reason for your number 1 Kz?
Marc

6th Jul 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me I'd want to be doing a bit of everything at the gym before getting in to a regular routine.

Most people do (from speaking to my mates anyway) have one arm stronger than the other to begin with, but after going for a while your arms level out and enable you to move on.

As for the back problem, worst thing to get rid of! You might want to stick to machines for a while before moving on to free weights if you're have back problems.
Hammer

6th Jul 09 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Lets see a picture of you and determine if you have the knowledge and results to back up your constant challenges of my advice.

I drink 20 pints every weekend and have a beer belly, I make no bones about that fact.
Marc

6th Jul 09 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bet you're still slimmer than Cosmo
Hammer

6th Jul 09 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never in question
scoob
Premium Member

6th Jul 09 at 17:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

these threads always break out in arguments

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Working out... two things that are frustrating me! 23 database queries in 0.0147190 seconds