corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Few Q's regarding Corsa C rear braking and inner CV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Few Q's regarding Corsa C rear braking and inner CV
Dom

User status: Offline
8th Jul 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Replaced all of the shoes and pads on the car today (Corsa C 03) and noticed that the handbrake isn't stopping movement of the rear tires (it provides a little friction, but you can still move the tires by pushing the wheels) - I assume that it's most likely the handbrake cable needs tightening?

More worryingly the drivers rear isn't locking (again, applies a little friction, more than the handbrake but you can still turn the wheel) when you apply the brake pedal. The passengers rear is fine; likewise with the passengers front (tested due to being on the same master with the drivers rear) so I’m ruling out that a master cylinder has gone. Would i be right in thinking that the slave has gone? Would air in the system also cause it? Anything else?

Regarding the CV, I’ve noticed that the inner CV boot needs replacing on the passengers side. Does anyone know any good places to purchase the boots from? As from what I can see you buy whole inner CV kits (joint and boot) rather than just the boot.
Also, would I be right in thinking - once you've got the hub (and suspension I assume?) off, you can pull the drive shaft out and then get the boots off? Is it the case of just replacing the boot and clips? Or do I NEED to replace both boots and clips?
I know it's going to be an arse of a job but I’m getting silly quotes to do the job even from garages that I’ve used for a while and are usually reasonably priced.

Cheers for any help
Joe

8th Jul 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the cables fucked, frayed around the bends where they go over the rear beam? Have you adjusted the brakes in the drums at all? You can tighten the handbrake a bit in the car but it seems like there is another problem with the rear brakes somewhere. Its unlikely to be master cylinder or anything, either something seized or out of adjustment.

The CV boot, your best bet is Vauxhall as its a specific one for the car so anywhere else will probably just provide a universal one which won't work. The Vauxhall kit is good, you get 2 clips, 2 packets of grease and the boot itself.

Easiest way is to remove the shaft, take off the outer CV boot and joint and then slide the new inner boot onto the shaft then put the outer CV joint back on. Will make more sense when you have it in front of you.

You should be able to keep the old outer boot intact, but you will have to cut the clips and fit new ones.

Hope that makes some sense.
Dom

8th Jul 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers joe,
The handbrake cables looks fine, was one of the first things i checked over. But it's the fact that the brake pedal doesn't seem to be fully stopping the nearside rear (where's as the rest of the wheels are fine) which made me think that it's a cylinder that has gone (loose handbrake cable is a seperate issue as it effects both wheels).

Yeah the CV info makes sense, it's what i was originally thinking but wondering whether i could slip the outter off without changing clips

New Poll