corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » First time buyers homes...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author First time buyers homes...
AlunJ

User status: Offline
7th Aug 09 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not on a great amount of money but I keep wanting to get on the property ladder whilst prices are cheap. My yearly basic salary is just short of 16k. Now I went to look at some apartment style buildings by redrow not so long ago and I was looking at about 75k on a shared ownership plan for something I could live with. I decided against it at the time and I expect they've since sold, but today I saw some bovis homes that were for sale at 86k for a 2bed house (i've a feeling thats after the shared ownership 25% is taken off) but I've also seen they have some apartment style 1 bed houses for £79k.
Realistically I would have about 700-800 maybe a bit more i've not done all the figures at the moment. Could anyone advise me further or would I be better off waiting until I'm on a bit more money?
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean you'd have 700-800? Is that a month for bills etc?

Mortgage wise you'd probably get offered 4x your salary so 64k-ish & be expected to stick down 15% of the purchase price minimum.

Solicitor sees will be about £700.
AlunJ

7th Aug 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have about 700-800 a month to cover mortgage and bills etc.
Hmmm 15% better get saving then!
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That should cover it really mate, for the 75k one youd probably get a 85% LTV mortgage and need to stick down around £10k.

So get saving now. Save up that 700-800 you plan to use to pay bills for a year and see how you get on?
AlunJ

7th Aug 09 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You think? I really know nothing about the property market haha!
I currently have just over 3k in an ISA (not making alot of money on it atm )
Thanks for your advice colin
AndyKent

7th Aug 09 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simple answer is that you probably wouldn't be able to afford to move out. Remember that those shared ownership schemes (which are a rip-off anyway) also need you to pay rent so you'd have next to nothing left at the end of the month even if you could get a big enough mortgage (which you won't on that amount).
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your only 20 just now mate, save like a bastard for the next couple years, then move out
gez bay

7th Aug 09 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was talking to a person today and they had a shared ownership and they were paying £350 mortage and £175 rent
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not too bad however it would annoy me that im paying rent on something that I bought/own
AlunJ

7th Aug 09 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know about the rent, I knew you had to pay it back eventually and I knew that some of these apartments have a maintenance charge to cover lecky/gas etc. Wheres this to gez?
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is some shared equity deals where the builder retains about 10-15% and you pay it back within 10years or whenever you move, if you pay when you move then its the % of the current value!! So you could well be right depending on which deal you've seen.
AndyKent

7th Aug 09 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're a massive rip-off wherever they came from. If people could actually afford the asking price they wouldn't need to do the shared deals. Fact is that its a way to falsely keep prices high.
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would consider the one where you pay no rent if I knew I could easy clear the balance within the 10 years.

However usually theres better incentives to be had if you dont require the shared equity such as cash discount and assisted move
a_j_mair

10th Aug 09 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
for something I could live with.

lower you r expectations if you really want to move out

you only need vare essentials to start with untill you get on your feet and start making a little more money hopefully

remember its not just the bills etc, you need to be able to pay for any unforseens and there alweays are some no matter how well you plan it out
AlunJ

10th Aug 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol an apartment I saw for about 50k was not much bigger than my bedroom. Think I'm going to forget about it for now, wait til I'm on a much better wage which hopefully isn't too far away

New Poll