corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Where to start...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where to start...
ENB

User status: Offline
8th Aug 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, so I have an old ('93) corsa, been off the road for about 18 months. I know it has no oil, no water, but some fuel (), the breaks are somewhat seized and the battery is flat. I'd like to attempt to get it running again, if I do I'm given a Capri (part of a bet) if I don't then at least I might learn something.

Anyway, I've had the bonnet up (which was also stuck, which I tried to tighten up the release, but failed as I couldn't unscrew the nut as it's rusted tight, any way of removing, short of cutting a great hole and making a real mess?) and then attempted to remove the current battery, as I have acquired another, but the bolt holding it down is also rusted up and having spent an hour trying to loosen it, it won't budge. Short of cutting it out, grinder or whatever, is there another way as it's a real bastard to get to the bolt head to hold it still.

So, what else should I be looking at? Any advice how to go about this, considering I have very little mechanical knowledge. I can't take it to a garage, nor can I drop a new engine in. I'd prefer not to just scrap it before at least having a go at it.
Mr Turner

8th Aug 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put oil in the engine, top up with water, leave the battery thats there now where it is and charge it up, then try turing it over and see if it starts, that would be where i would start, also once the battery is charged check it with a meter to see if its held the charge. make sure you also have fuel in the tank.
maddmattmc

9th Aug 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe try some WD40 on the rusted parts, that may help, and then what Mr Turner said
ENB

10th Aug 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I tried with the WD40. I tried jumping this battery before, but got absolutely nothing
Dan H

12th Aug 09 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a big hammer and screamdriver/chissel and smack bolt through battery tray, dont need one, i dont have one on mine and it stays put. WD40 on all rusted parts. put oil in engine, anti-freeze and water in Expansion bottle. £5 worth of fresh fuel in 'cos fuel goes off after a while. try and start car, if no luck, lift back seat up, take fuel sender out/ syphen fuel out of the car and put into a clear container, if the fuel looks weird then ya best off cleaning fuel lines and tank, take injectors out, have a look see if they are rusted and see if they are spraying fuel propperly. put fresh fuel in and see if anything happens. before you do any of this change the spark plugs too, see if they smell of fuel too.

hope it gives ya abit of help. u2u me if ya need anymore help or anything

New Poll