corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Spax RSX coilover help - camber, spacing, rubbish drive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spax RSX coilover help - camber, spacing, rubbish drive
Haimsey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Aug 09 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, where do i start

Ive had my coilovers fitted for a wee while now.
When i dropped it down having fitted them, the tracking was out slightly so i booked it in at the garage for it to get sorted. It was done, all good.

That was the 25th of last month.

Noticed when i was driving that no matter what corner i went round the tracking was different each time.

Driving straight, its fine.
Go round a roundabout, its one way.
Go round a left hand corner, its totally the opposite way

Plus, some times it just seems to drive itself off to one side as if it is failing to turn the corner or something

Anyways, the other night, i took a look at my fronts.
Passenger side coil -

Bags of room between coil and wheel.

Drivers side -

Er, thats not right

Passenger side wheel left ILLEGAL as a result -

Took it back to the garage, they said the camber was out on the drivers wheel and they adjusted something or other on the passenger side.

I was aware my fronts were low on tread, they were being sorted this pay day. They wont replace the wheel because of the wear across the whole tyre Even though they set the tracking so recently and they didnt reccommend new tyres then!?

Anyways, the guy said it catches on full lock - i dont see anywhere it can catch tbh when ive played with it and i cant hear a rubbing.
He said i wont sort it until there are low profile tyres on my alloys.
And i can expect uineven tyre wear because of how low its been lowered (-50mm)

Whats wrong with my coils? What have i done wrong?

Sorry its so long winded. Ive tried to be short. Please help me out

Thanks
Marc

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Aug 09 at 21:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no camber adjustment on a Corsa hub unless you have play in the bottom holes on the damper in which you case you will introduce it.

If it's not that then you then need to check the bottom ball joints to ensure they're tight and aligned.

Failing that, check the bushes where the lower arm meets the body to ensure that they are uniform. Shouldn't cause that much camber but it's worth checking.
Jake

13th Aug 09 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are they using the classic £25 method of adjusting the tracking, and camber(presuming it has elongated top bolt holes)
Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okie, ill have a look at that over week end.

What would be causing one wheel to sit closer to the strut that the other?

Looking at the wheels they are both straight, its not obvoius to the eye that the one sitting closer is on the piss or anything?

Marcy Marc

Ian
Site Administrator

13th Aug 09 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably because your eye won't notice it.

There are a total of five parts bolted together to make your hub assembly, wear in any of these will move the wheel relative to the car.
Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
are they using the classic £25 method of adjusting the tracking, and camber(presuming it has elongated top bolt holes)

Not a clue.

I wasnt there, i was at work, mum took it back to them.
Each time they've done my car before its been spot on.

Ah right, thanks Ian.

Marcy Marc

VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car needs to be 4 wheel aligned.

Got a Micheldever garage near you at all?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that i know of. Google says its in Hampshire.

Marcy Marc

Jake

13th Aug 09 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it has elongated holes and the camber isnt set up exactly, the old school tracking method will not work. it needs to be put on a hunter machine or similar which isnt cheap but it will get set up properly
Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top hole might have been elongated.
Best pic i have of it.

Marcy Marc

jo1945

13th Aug 09 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a similar problem when I fiited my coils. Took it to a tyre place, explained the tracking AND camber needed doing, they clearly only did the tracking and on the way home, the bolt in the elongated hole moved because I hadn't tightened it properly, changing the camber and therefore tracking. Bad s*** ensued. I took it to a good local independant garage where I have all my servicing and repairs done, they sorted the camber and tracking and it's been fine since. The main thing is to make sure the bolt in the elongated hole is done up really really tight because if it moves a tiny bit, it will ruin your life.
Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel something is giong to go wrong each time i drive it atm

People say driving a car that could kill you is fun, but it really isnt

I think ill check over the things outlined above, make sure nothign obvious is present.

And then ill look into having it set uyp properly by a different garage?

Marcy Marc

VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh you need the 4 wheel geometry setup. There will be a place that does it. Will cost about £50.

Haimsey
Premium Member

13th Aug 09 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found a little place called PH Sportscars - they are in Derby and do geometry set ups.

mainly do work on Porsche's but might give them a call and see what they say

Marcy Marc

Ian
Site Administrator

14th Aug 09 at 00:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they're elongated, same as the FKs.

The problem you'll have going to a proper place is that camber adjustment on the bottom bolts is a bit of a ghetto way to do it. You would normally have adjustable top mounts, which you can also get for a Corsa if you wanted to do it more accurately/easier.

Adjusting on the bottom holes you need to basically nip it up, put the wheel back on, check the camber and if its out, wheel back off, move it, nip it up again, check it again and repeat until you're happy. That's why most places won't get it 100%, it's very time consuming to do so as its basically trial and error.

Its a bit of a cheat by coilover manufacturers as it allows you to fit wide wheels and go low and adjust the camber to get the tyre out the way of the coil. Otherwise wheels which fitted with regular dampers which have a thinner shaft below the spring seat wouldn't then fit with the coilovers. If you're running wide wheels and a high offset then you'll be in this position.

It can be adjusted out but then you'll have heaps of positive camber which is bad news indeed.

Welding a washer on and removing the ability to adjust is also a solution, just make sure the wheels fit in the position that you choose and make sure the welding is done accurately.
Jake

14th Aug 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking at the pictures again its clear whats happened. on the passenger side the top bolt is almost flush against the edge of the shock mount whereas on the drivers side its completely the opposite

[Edited on 14-08-2009 by jake]
Haimsey
Premium Member

14th Aug 09 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys.

Where can i buy these top mounts? Are they expensive?

Marcy Marc

Haimsey
Premium Member

14th Aug 09 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These?

Chris Astley

Marcy Marc

Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Aug 09 at 08:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im planning on fitting my 195/45/14 ET45 Astra CDX allloys - are they 'wide' wheels?

Marcy Marc

Jake

15th Aug 09 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no. are you not reading what's being said? the top holes on your coilovers are elongated which means you can adjust the camber on them so you dont need different top mounts
Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Aug 09 at 11:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, i have read what was said.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah they're elongated, same as the FKs.

The problem you'll have going to a proper place is that camber adjustment on the bottom bolts is a bit of a ghetto way to do it. You would normally have adjustable top mounts, which you can also get for a Corsa if you wanted to do it more accurately/easier.

Adjusting on the bottom holes you need to basically nip it up, put the wheel back on, check the camber and if its out, wheel back off, move it, nip it up again, check it again and repeat until you're happy. That's why most places won't get it 100%, it's very time consuming to do so as its basically trial and error.

Doesnt matter anyways, i went to a different garage that offered geometric alignment and they have sorted it out - or at least look to have sorted it out.
I now have an equal space between the strut and the tyre on both sides. Not like it was above.

Thanks for the help as per usual.

Marc.

Marcy Marc

Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Aug 09 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some pics of my print out.

Before -

Currently -

Marcy Marc

VegasPhil
Premium Member

15th Aug 09 at 12:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh that's right.

Can see why you wrecked that tyre now

Haimsey
Premium Member

15th Aug 09 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But that was all aligned by the garage on the 25th and again teh other day

Lost a bit of confidence in ETS now They have always been so reasonable.

Marcy Marc

New Poll