corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Strange cooling problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Strange cooling problem
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Aug 09 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a random one this.

A few weeks back my car started running hot, I was always used to it running around 91-93 degrees but it started running around 97-99, occasionally it'd get to about 101 and the fan would kick in. I fitted a new thermostat a few months back after the old one had stuck open but that still seems to be working fine.

I thought it could possibly be an airlock so I left it running for a while with the cap off before to try and clear it, everything looked alright so I took it out to check and this is where it gets strange, driving round for a bit round local roads, so sticking to 30 and the gauge was showing around 94 degrees, going upto 96 when waiting at junctions which seemed ok but when I got on a 70 road the temp gauge went upto around 99 and stayed there, I sped upto 80 and the gauge went up slightly, I slowed to 50 and it was still sat around 98-99. Back on local roads sticking to 30-40 and it come back down to 94-95.

Now the bit I find confusing, when I'm at 30, the revs are around 2250 in 3rd, at 40 revs are 2500 in 4th then 50 is 2500 in 5th. How can it be running hotter doing 50 when the revs are similar yet the speed is higher therefore better airflow?

Really baffled by this one and ideally want it sorting before Combe, don't fancy going on a ragga and ending up having to come off early cos it's getting too hot

Oh, all the rad seems to be getting hot too so I think a blockage in the rad is unlikely.

Any suggestions much appreciated
Mike
Premium Member

20th Aug 09 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone else baffled too then?
barneykarl

20th Aug 09 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was mine I would remove the stat and see if the same thing happens or replace the stat again, was it a vauxhall stat that you fitted or aftermarket cheap one ? also replace the temp sender to the gauge and replace expansion bottle cap, could also flush the system and refill and make sure no airlocks, worst case could be water pump not pumping very well.
Mike
Premium Member

20th Aug 09 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stat was a Vaux one, it includes the casing too so I can't remove it and try but it seems to be working fine, it's warming up like normal and the rad is getting warm so it is circulating, I had thought about the water pump but if it is then it's debatable whether it's worth fixing.

Oh, just remembered too, when I got back from the drive the yesterday, after the gauge dropping back down to 95ish, I got out and had a look under the bonnet and I could hear a bubbling sound coming from a coolant hose that runs from the throttle body to the coolant temp and when you touched it you could feel the bubbling, not sure why it'd do that?
barneykarl

21st Aug 09 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound like you still have the throttle body in original location with the hoses in /out of body, replace the small hoses and make sure you have no air in system, could be there is a restriction on the small hose.
Mike
Premium Member

21st Aug 09 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's all still standard. I actually got a bit of air out of it this morning. Gave some of the pipes a squeeze then after a bit I spotted a few air bubbles coming into the top of the header. I've not had a proper drive yet to check it tho. Driving to Clitheroe in a bit tho so I'll see how it goes
Mike
Premium Member

24th Aug 09 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems a lot better now, still might not be 100% but it's running more round normal temps. Smashed it from Clitheroe to Hawes and back yesterday without it going over 95 degrees, think the fan kicked in once or twice on the motorway today but it should be right

New Poll