corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Thai Boxing

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thai Boxing
Nath

User status: Offline
1st Sep 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My gym offers a Thai Boxing class. Anyone know what it is? Sounds like something I want to do.
Cosmo

1st Sep 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38X8GA0wAY
Nath

1st Sep 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck that, I dont fancy fighting an angry Thai dwarf.
Hammer

1st Sep 09 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been trying to find somewhere near her that does it. Gus off here has went to a few classes with his mate. He did get knocked the fuck out though so do be warned
Cosmo

1st Sep 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did your bog standard kick boxing for years until I was about 17/18, couldnt do half the shit I used to then like.
Nath

1st Sep 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I figured it'd just be an exercise thing.
Cosmo

1st Sep 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is really really good exercise if its anything like i used to do.
Nath

1st Sep 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool. May enquire when I'm next at the gym. Although maybe I should wait a few weeks before attempting it because I'm really quite unfit
Cosmo

1st Sep 09 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitness wont be an issue, its how flexible you are

You'll soon get more flexible as you do it, just go next week and you'll get there eventually!
Nath

1st Sep 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I had a flexibility test last week. I had to sit on the floor, legs out straight with my feet up against a wooden box, then I had to reach towards my toes and move this little slidey thing on the box. They measure it in CM's. I managed 1.5cm Which the guy laughed at and said, 'oh dear, thats not very good'.
Cosmo

1st Sep 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you have to be able to reach your toes?! Ive never been that flexible, even when kickboxing I wasnt, but I bet Id have no chance now of even touching the box let alone moving the slider!
Nath

1st Sep 09 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The box overhangs. I reckon to reach your toes you'd be looking at 4-5cm.
Cosmo

1st Sep 09 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right....I still wouldnt be able to move it.
Nath

1st Sep 09 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe it's more than 4-5cm. I'll check it out. Either way I'm not very flexible. Is size linked to flexibility? As there's not much of me, so should I therefore be more flexible than somebody bigger than me?
J da Silva

1st Sep 09 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks vicious but it's quite a technical style of combat, I'm a black belt gold at kick boxing, but I initially did it for something to do when I was 13, and ended up getting really serious at it.
Carl

1st Sep 09 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't touch the box on the sit and reach test, I've woeful flexibility. Would love to get into kickboxing etc but never been able to give the stretches a serious crack to get anything like.
J da Silva

1st Sep 09 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It takes a while Carl, especially the most common one where you and a partner lift your legs to the point your snogging your knee cap, that's pretty hard to master but it's just about taking time to stretch muscles into such shapes, makes you into one hell of a dancer.
corsa - gus

2nd Sep 09 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Hammer said, I have been a few times. The training is class, it makes you feel like you should be in a Rocky film It is however a brutal sport, but very very technical, knee-ing, kicking punching and elbowing are all allowed. You should try and go along to a local Thai boxing show before taking it up. That way you will get to see what you are letting yourself in for.

One of my best mates is really in to it, which is why I have been a bit, he fights at meetings and is so far undefeated in 18months! But during the undefeated streak he has had numerous injuries, broken toes, broken foot, broken ribs, knee ligamnet damage, broken nose and been knocked out a few times while sparring with the guy who runs our gym. If you're going to start going to it you have to be prepared to get your arse kicked basically, the first three or four times you go, I just got kicked around the ring to make sure I could take a pasting and keep coming back. A large amount of people will go once or twice and never go back
liamC

2nd Sep 09 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like legalised fighting really!!
A1EX

2nd Sep 09 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go to a muay thai camp here, and saying fitness isnt an issue is bs get fit before u start doing anything else, the circuit training they do here alone is enough to kill you, then theres the sparring, pad work, shadow boxing etc, if you're not fit you won't be able to take full advantage of good training.
Cosmo

2nd Sep 09 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A1EX
I go to a muay thai camp here, and saying fitness isnt an issue is bs get fit before u start doing anything else, the circuit training they do here alone is enough to kill you, then theres the sparring, pad work, shadow boxing etc, if you're not fit you won't be able to take full advantage of good training.

Dont talk rubbish, the training will help him get fit. Of course it'll be a struggle, but to not bother doing it until he is fit is ridiculous.
bigboykarl

2nd Sep 09 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
I can't touch the box on the sit and reach test, I've woeful flexibility. Would love to get into kickboxing etc but never been able to give the stretches a serious crack to get anything like.

there's a mma gym near u
http://fightunit.webs.com/

[Edited on 02-09-2009 by bigboykarl]
Carl

2nd Sep 09 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigboykarl
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

there's a mma gym near u
http://fightunit.webs.com/

[Edited on 02-09-2009 by bigboykarl]

I know Karl, I know a couple of lads that go/used to go down there. I've just not got the bollox to. I've a big nose, not sure I want it bending/splating across my face!
corsa - gus

2nd Sep 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, I haven't had anything bad happen to me. Have had bruising, been knocked out and got kicked in the belly and spewed my ring but no broken bones. But like I said my mate has had a lot worse, he is competing though and the boys in the gym are a lot harder on him than they are on me. Mainly as I'm about 5-10 kilos lighter than all of them.
fresh_creps

2nd Sep 09 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did muay thai for a couple of years although this was awhile ago now.Depending on the gym you go to and your training instructors style of teaching your experience could vary,but they all require crazy amounts of stamina...I mean you can go in fairly unfit but it will be an uphill struggle to get to a comfortable fitness level,even then you'll find it hard.But its very rewarding and enjoyable,most classes will have you warm-up/stretch,pad work, then maybe sparring,none of this standing in a line,hitting air nonsense lol.

I'm currently doing mma now and loving it,but I'm gunna rejoin the muay thai classes as the place I go to runs it 6 days a week.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Thai Boxing 23 database queries in 0.0208020 seconds