corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » No offence but why spend all that money on a corsa?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author No offence but why spend all that money on a corsa?
Benkid

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 09 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the question I was asked today by a bird from work after I told her the costs to date on my LET build and i didn't actually have a sensible answer. So i'm asking you that same question as you must've been asked before. This is probably more related to the people who have spent a load on there Corsa rather than buy one already done and drive it around.
I said it was to see the looks on peoples faces when a Corsa comes tearing past but is that really worth all the money we spend?
Callum

3rd Sep 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is only a 1.2 and ive had it 2 months, spent over the value of the car already, guess its just a hobby for me, i like knowing that ive done it myself rather than just buying it modified already
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 15:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you just do.. it's not jsut corsa.. any car pretty much. you never get all money from your mods, but for example for me it's a great fun and pleasre to have a moded car... same as for some people taking drugs...
sampayne21

3rd Sep 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont have any regrets about all the money iv spent on mine as its been so much fun to drive
am4nf

3rd Sep 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the way i see it is your spending money to improve your car and it being a corsa for me is by choice
andyc1234

3rd Sep 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive put about 6k into mind so far and not even driven it yet. Theres days i think why bother but i just keep thinking of the smile that will be on my face when i first put my foot down
alan-g-w

3rd Sep 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I think of it is - if you buy a £15k car, depending what you're after you're going to have a nicely sorted (in my case quick) motor. But if you buy a corsa for a grand and spen £14k on it you're going to end up with something that'll keep up with a supercar in a straight line. That's why I think people do it anyway, but at the end of the day you could spend the same putting all sorts of TVs and bodykits on it - so it's just down to what you prefer to do with your money at the end of the day.
fir3vip3r

3rd Sep 09 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because its your hobby?

why spend money on anything?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a project, its a hobby, its something to do. You can either be a wanker in a expensive corsa or a wanker in the m3 (hi fad). I can afford to spunk doh on the corsa so why not. FIN.
Graham88

3rd Sep 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's no different to spending money on any car, it's just a hobby, just a Corsa is deemed as a lower class car
FruitBooTeR

3rd Sep 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mom thinks its a waste of money doing anything do any cars

And when something goes wrong itl be ' well you shouldnt have messed with it' (even though some problems are nothing to do with what ive done.

Also a few people at work (older than me 35ish?) into there cars a bit, said to me before when I was on about my respray 'Its still only a corsa though, why dont you get something better?'
Butler

3rd Sep 09 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask her what she spends all her money on, clothes and make up no doubt. If you ask her why she will say because it makes her feel good, you wouldnt spend the money on your car if you didnt get some pleasure out of it. She obviously doesnt appreciate that different peoples have different priorities.
corsayoung

3rd Sep 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
The way I think of it is - if you buy a £15k car, depending what you're after you're going to have a nicely sorted (in my case quick) motor. But if you buy a corsa for a grand and spen £14k on it you're going to end up with something that'll keep up with a supercar in a straight line. That's why I think people do it anyway, but at the end of the day you could spend the same putting all sorts of TVs and bodykits on it - so it's just down to what you prefer to do with your money at the end of the day.

i found this comment, the best i haev heard for a long time.

It's like, if you buy a car you expect it to perform like a 15k car, spend 1000 on a corsa then another 2000 on engine making it go, and you have a bargin and you are doing something which you enjoy, your hobby!

Just love it!
Ellis

3rd Sep 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've spend a silly amount of cash on my car, don't regret a single penny of it though. Hobbies cost money, that's the way I look at it...
Liam B

3rd Sep 09 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've fitted corsa sport brakes, corsa sport interior and a corsasport engine, for the amount of money on my car i could of just bought a corsa sport, but i guess its the fun of doing it,
jimmy 2.1

3rd Sep 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because as said by others its an interest/project/hobby etc.

Yeah i could have spent £12k on a new or 'nice' car, but who's to say i wouldn't spend another £12k on mods and end up with £24k in a car?
smith_8v

3rd Sep 09 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u hadnt spent loads of money on your car what would you have spent it on (getting drunk and going out for me) if i hadnt spent my money on my car i would have just spent it on some thing else
DizzyRebel

3rd Sep 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless restoring a classic, any money spent modifying a car is dead money and its arguable your simply pissing money away.

Its ok as a hobby, but its finding where to draw that line of a hobby becoming a fruitless obsession of burning money. For me, a corsa is a cheap car and id spend no more than 3k on building one - i see no point of plumbing 10k into a corsa as your never going to get it back and that money could be spent on a better car that would return its investment if you decided to sell it 6 months later.

One thing that does make me laugh is lads who are mid to late 20's with 15k of car sat on their parents drive still living at home... Just shows how shallow and pointless their life is that they would rather plumb all their money into a black hole instead of invest in bricks and cement.
a_j_mair

3rd Sep 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent in excess of £20k on my corsa

yes it is was a waste of money and i can appreciate that

However i spent it over the space of 3 or 4 years a bit at a time

I did it as i enjoyed working on my car and learning how things worked, i also did it as i wanted my car to look better than a standard corsa

All i could afford at the time was a corsa or the likes

in hindsight if i hadnt spent anything and saved up i could have bought a better car etc etc

I would not have the knowledge i have now regarding cars or mechanics as a whole and i actually enjoyed driving a car i knew that i had changed the brakes, suspension, engine made all the custom interior parts etc
M-IKE19

3rd Sep 09 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make it ur own car! iv spent just over 10k thats inc a recon engine.
AK

3rd Sep 09 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i spent way too much on a shit corsa (x3).

I was an idiot.

I havent learned... just moved on to more expensive wastes of money
Adam C
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like many have said, its a hobby and one I couldnt live without, money is never really an object as whatever i budget on cars it never sticks to that price.

Ive been without a garage for a couple of months now and I sold my Corsa not long ago, so have nothing to do and no fancy car to work on and nothing to spend my hard earned cash on, never felt so useless in all my life

Should soon have a newer car to mess with but if i ever manage to get a garage again I would most likely do another Corsa B or a MK1/2 Golf

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
DizzyRebel

3rd Sep 09 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
I spent in excess of £20k on my corsa

yes it is was a waste of money and i can appreciate that

However i spent it over the space of 3 or 4 years a bit at a time

I did it as i enjoyed working on my car and learning how things worked, i also did it as i wanted my car to look better than a standard corsa

All i could afford at the time was a corsa or the likes

in hindsight if i hadnt spent anything and saved up i could have bought a better car etc etc

I would not have the knowledge i have now regarding cars or mechanics as a whole and i actually enjoyed driving a car i knew that i had changed the brakes, suspension, engine made all the custom interior parts etc

20k is a waste no matter how u look at it! You cant use learning mechanics as an excuse either as i went to college and did that and it cost me fuck all! Id cry if i worked out i spent 20k on a corsa, thats a house deposit or a porsche 911.

The way i see it is based on your annual income if you spend anymore than 10% of it on a car your pissing it away. Ie if you only earn basic wage (around 10k a year) you shouldnt really blow more than £1000 on a hobby - otherwise your hobby ends up taking up the majority of your free cash.

jamesy1990

3rd Sep 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you ask is it worth it? every single pennie!!!!
shaunmods
Premium Member

3rd Sep 09 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got to be honest I never originally planned to go as far with my corsa as I have. Most peoples jaws hit the floor when they ask how much its cost me but i've never got into debt over it or anything, just saved hard to buy the things I want for it to make it personal to me Don't care how much people slate it, it my pride and joy

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » No offence but why spend all that money on a corsa? 23 database queries in 0.0172319 seconds