corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone study architecture??

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone study architecture??
Carl Gillespie

User status: Offline
8th Sep 09 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going to study architecture this year at uni and was wondering if there was anybody on here that has studied it and what they thought of it.

Did you enjoy it and was it especially difficult?

Also as a career, whats it like being an actual architect?

Ive always wanted to be one, personally, but wondered what other peoples opinions would be who are experienced and have worked in that field for a while.

Thanks for the input in advance guys.

Cheers
charcoalgrill

8th Sep 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

long path ahead of you mind- where you studying it?
Carl Gillespie

8th Sep 09 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know mate...7 years, but im hoping they wont seem too long.

Im studying it at a uni in belfast.
antscorsa

8th Sep 09 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a product designer and sometimes wish i did architecture instead but it is a huge commitment that i wasnt ready for at the time!
good luck with it
Jules S
Premium Member

8th Sep 09 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Gillespie
Im going to study architecture this year at uni and was wondering if there was anybody on here that has studied it and what they thought of it.

Did you enjoy it and was it especially difficult?

I'm going to upset you here...but for all the right reasons.

It's not about being 'difficult' Architecture is a vocation...you either love being an Architect or you don't. If you have confidence in abundance with your ideas then fine...if you don't take criticism well dont bother.

quote:
Originally posted by Carl GillespieAlso as a career, whats it like being an actual architect?

Architecture has to be the most underpaid, undervalued profession on earth. You will see a shitty salary, with shitty feedback on every thing you design. Shitty feedback from clients and shitty feedback from the end users. After that you will get crap feedback from all and sundry from the public. The long and short of it is that you will design something in this day and age, and it will be built to stand for criticism for the rest of the buildings life.

quote:
Ive always wanted to be one, personally, but wondered what other peoples opinions would be who are experienced and have worked in that field for a while.

Dont bother...get some experience and get into construction planning/programming. I'm an Architect and i earn 50% of the people I deal with at site level.

Carl Gillespie

8th Sep 09 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks jules, good advice.

I do take critisism fairly well and am fairly confident.

Also, i feel that architecture is something that i have always wanted to do and am incredibly commited so fingers crossed il stick at it.

I did study construction for two years so have an idea of how things happen on site, without working physically on one.

As an architect, how would you recommend getting some good work experiece and what might i be expected to do in a modern practice do you reckon? CAD etc

Is it viable to do work experience/ work part time while studying in your experience?

[Edited on 08-09-2009 by Carl Gillespie]
John

8th Sep 09 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you were an architects assistant or something Jules?
Jules S
Premium Member

8th Sep 09 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I thought you were an architects assistant or something Jules?

Yep, I am a senior assistant, so I design in technical terms and I advise Architects if their designs are feasable...but believe me, I advise Architects about what is feasable in terms of design, not the other way around.

I do the job running stuff too, so I do the day to day job running stuff to keep the project on time/budget etc

Designing a building initially is one thing..actually getting it built is another thing altogether.
Carl Gillespie

8th Sep 09 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What stopped you from doing the last few years and becoming a fully fledged architect then?

Would you consider it?
Jules S
Premium Member

8th Sep 09 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What stopped you from doing the last few years and becoming a fully fledged architect then?

Would you consider it?

Nope, never.

I don't have the creative flair to design a building....but i love making a building look 'correct' in terms of the detailing.

I consider my job to be making the finished building flawless in finishing terms.
John

8th Sep 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The architect will get paid more though won't they?

I've never heard of a poor architect.
Carl Gillespie

8th Sep 09 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice.

I like the sound of your job, infact that sounds like something i wouldnt mind doing myself. But the pay bit you mentioned earlier would put me off if im honest.

Are there any architect forums/websites other than the riba one that i could investigate further on that you're aware off?

Thanks for the info so far mate.
sc0ott

9th Sep 09 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my job role is almost identical to jules except im more of a junior. i work for a house builder so we are also classified as the 'client' as well. we appoint consultant architects for site specific jobs (mainly high rise developments) and for the likes of low rise we have standard house types. they have just put me through college and now im looking at joining the CIAT.
DaveyLC

9th Sep 09 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably a good time to be studying as the building industry is on its knee's so hopefully when its recovering you will be qualified
Xs

9th Sep 09 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The architect will get paid more though won't they?

I've never heard of a poor architect.
Simon

9th Sep 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm studying Architecture, at the end of the month I'm back at brookes for my diploma (RIBA part 2) which is my 5th year. To be honest I don't really want to go back to uni at the moment because I'm really enjoying working where I do. I work in a small office which means during my 2 years placement I've dabbled in every stage of works from initial concepts all the way through to final defects inspections, so I've had things that I've drawn built. Which I find very satisfying.

Something I'd recommend is getting some work experience asap, working in a practice is completely different to anything you will learn about in your degree. Get some couple weeks work placements somewhere during the holidays

Jules seems to have quite a pessimistic view of it all. To everything he has said there is obviously the opposite reactions from everybody as well.

I want to get my next to uni years out the way so I can get right back into work
D-A-V-E-

9th Sep 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which uni in Belfast are you going to lad?

I'm starting architectural technology&management at jordanstown in a week or two!
Carl Gillespie

9th Sep 09 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks simon, i might call around a few places today to see if they can take me on for a while before i start uni at the end of this month.

Did you find it challenging simon, and do do you think it is possible to do a part time job along side studying for an architecture degree?

Hi dave, im actually going to queens, but was interested in your course, only i was more interested in going to be a fully fledged architect than a cad technician as you get to use your creative juices more imo. Do you have work experience in a practice dave?

[Edited on 09-09-2009 by Carl Gillespie]
Mad Moe

9th Sep 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was always going to end up in the building industry given the family I come from and always wanted to be an Architect however the points that Jules has made kept coming up time and time again when I was looking for advice and as a result I became complete disillusioned with persuing it as a career.

After wasting so time dabbling with accountancy I ended up going into Commercial Managment having completed my Quantity Surveying degree and now that I'm with a massive company I have the opportunity to study for an MSc Construction Project Managment which will hopefully allow me to get involved in some really large projects and from people I've spoken with the money is fantastic, I get to travel and still get the statisfaction of a job well done!
Simon

9th Sep 09 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah definitely do try and get some experience before hand if you've got a bit of time. It will also help already having a contact for after your degree when you have to do your placement work experience.

It depends what the part time job is, a lot of people did small amounts of bar work but it is a fairly heavy degree work wise.

I failed my 3rd year design module 1st time round and ended up resitting that module the next year whilst working at a practice 3 days a week, and although I passed I had a hard time managing my uni work load. The design work can take a hell of a long time.

Some of my design work is here if interested

http://www.ukexpert.co.uk/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1044&page=1
Carl Gillespie

9th Sep 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate.

Im contracted around 8 hours a week at them minute, but can work up to around 24. However ideally i would have around 15 hours on friday saturday and sunday.

So is it mainly design stuff rather than academic work where you studied then?
Carl Gillespie

9th Sep 09 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the gecko cantilever pods.

Did you have to do those big bending moment calculation things (the correct name escapes me...but im sure you know what im talking about...) and everything for these?

Or was it just a case of designing something without making it physically workable?

[Edited on 09-09-2009 by Carl Gillespie]
Simon

9th Sep 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't say how your course will be but on mine we had maybe 2 or 3 essays, book reviews / presentations to do a year and then the rest of the time it is design studio work.

In the first year there was a module and exam on the structures side where there was lots of maths and equations involved but didn't touch any maths after that and in my two years working I have never had to work out loadings or anything like that. However every design project we did had a separate marked section to it where you don't have to have things fully worked out but you need to design things with a basic understanding of how it would work in principle. Obviously the further through the course you are the more detail you need to go into here.
Daveskater
Premium Member

9th Sep 09 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in building services engineering and the nicer architects to work with are open to ideas and don't mind making necessary adjustments to suit services when needed. We are working with one guy at the moment that doesn't like other people's ideas and seems to do his own thing rather than what makes sense, is feasible and practical. Needless to say it makes it incredibly hard work for us.

Simon's practice seem good to deal with and work with us well, and I'm not just saying that

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Simon

9th Sep 09 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ha ha! Thanks!

I think something to bare in mind when looking at places for work experience / placements that bigger practices can sometimes be a bit up themselves, they may get to see the bigger more high profile jobs, but if you are only on placement you can get lost in the company a bit. Smaller practices can be a lot more level headed and you can actually become a valued member of the team rather than tea boy

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone study architecture?? 23 database queries in 0.0203049 seconds