corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bike Owners

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Owners
Gareth T

User status: Offline
21st Sep 09 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently looking into what bike to start on after taking my direct access. Been looking at Honda VFR400's more and more, I just wanted to know if there is any other bikes that I should be looking at as a first bike to get some experience on.

thanks
Richardhhha

21st Sep 09 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your looking for 400's then i wouldn't miss out on picking up a good zx4r

but are you after a sporty looking bike or a sit up and beg bike?
Gareth T

21st Sep 09 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
if your looking for 400's then i wouldn't miss out on picking up a good zx4r

but are you after a sporty looking bike or a sit up and beg bike?

sporty looking bike
Richardhhha

21st Sep 09 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

budget??
DizzyRebel

21st Sep 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

400's are slow and overpriced. For the money - get a CBR600f... much better starter bike.
Graham88

21st Sep 09 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All 400's are old now and forever developing problems. I had no end of trouble with mine.
Richardhhha

22nd Sep 09 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

differance being a 600 will do 150mph + and he's just passed his test and wants to be sensable and not go hare balling around on a 110bhp pocket rocket where he'd more than likely come up a corpper and ether seriously injour himself or worse.. learn on a smaller bike then when confedent go for a bigger bike and thats it in a nut shell, thats the way i was tought by my father and thats the way i preach, he's seen a fare few of his mates die because they decided to go from something like a FS1E (50cc) to a sport/super bike of the eara like a Kh750 or a kz900..

and 400's are more than likely more reliable and better build than any of the modern bikes... plus a hell of a lot cheaper to fix and you can do most of the servicing/repair stuff yourself..

i'd like to see someone ballance the carbs or sort out re shimming the head on a zx6r... blody kawasaki want 600+ for re shimming...
Richardhhha

22nd Sep 09 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so something like this would be ideal

ZX4R 14,900 miles and £1,900 ono

[Edited on 22-09-2009 by Richardhhha]
Sunz

22nd Sep 09 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hornet 600 would be good.
Or ER-6 if you have a little more cash.

Reliable is bandit 600 and very cheap also.
Richardhhha

22nd Sep 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true a bandit would be a good shout, but they can be propper wheelie machines lol

i think as he said he wants something sporty looking so he's quite limited, but if he wanted something that can be street fighterd then a 600 bandit would be a great shout
Eck
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 01:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hayabusa
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suzuki sv650s
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

22nd Sep 09 at 07:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine
DaveyLC

22nd Sep 09 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little 400 race rep type things are really not the sort of bike you want to be using to learn on, they are not really forgiving enough for the manouvers you need to learn. Best to start with something dull with a good turning circle that you can drop on the floor and not care about
Kano

22nd Sep 09 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
400's are slow and overpriced. For the money - get a CBR600f... much better starter bike.

100% agree with that.. I had a 600f as my first bike. Was quick, handled well but wasn't too suicidal for a first bike. Nice riding position on long runs aswell.

Mine was an anniversary so worth a bit more but you will get a decent one for £1500 easily just now..
ShEp

22nd Sep 09 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A cbr600 will be more forgiving than the 400cc

its not all about the speed.
DizzyRebel

22nd Sep 09 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
differance being a 600 will do 150mph + and he's just passed his test and wants to be sensable and not go hare balling around on a 110bhp pocket rocket where he'd more than likely come up a corpper and ether seriously injour himself or worse.. learn on a smaller bike then when confedent go for a bigger bike and thats it in a nut shell, thats the way i was tought by my father and thats the way i preach, he's seen a fare few of his mates die because they decided to go from something like a FS1E (50cc) to a sport/super bike of the eara like a Kh750 or a kz900..

and 400's are more than likely more reliable and better build than any of the modern bikes... plus a hell of a lot cheaper to fix and you can do most of the servicing/repair stuff yourself..

i'd like to see someone ballance the carbs or sort out re shimming the head on a zx6r... blody kawasaki want 600+ for re shimming...

First off, 400's are usually nails that have had the bollocks thrashed off them for 20 years by 17-20 year olds who have just passed their test. 400's require being ridden like a twat to get anywhere at a decent pace, they are small and cramped and put you in an uncomfortable race position.
The build quality on older bikes is not superior, Most 400's have cracking plastics, shagged rear shocks, rusted everything and generally need a complete restoration to make them respectable again. They are also mostly imports, and being so old spares are hard to get hold of and expensive for them. If you crash or drop one, good luck in finding a set of fairings for one. Also if you want the shims doing on a VFR400, you will pay more than a ZX6R as there are 2 banks of cylinders.

Your dads mates who went from an FS1E to a KZ900 were likely to die, have you ever ridden an old KZ? They are death traps that would kill even the most experienced rider given the sniff of a chance. A CBR 600 is nothing like a KZ and modern tires are much better than 30 years ago.

CBR600F is a good first bike, because although they have a bit of power its very smooth and predictable. the riding position is comfortable and they are reliable as hell. Spares are 10 a penny so if you have an off then it can be repaired at a fairly cheap cost.

PS id do the shims in your zx6 for about £350 assuming it didnt need many changing, your garage is pulling your pants down.
DaveyLC

22nd Sep 09 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dizzy is speaking the sense..

A 600 SuperSport is a completely different kettle of fish to a 400 race rep.

A 600 SuperSport would be much safer and more sensible option for a first "big bike".
DizzyRebel

22nd Sep 09 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt even call a 600F a Supersports bike now going by todays stable offerings. Its more of as sports tourer/allrounder. Hence why honda still sell it alongside its 600RR, its still a popular bike today.
ShEp

22nd Sep 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My friends bike history goes...

CBR600RR
R1

Yes he's an idiot, but theres a lot to be said for being sensible

He passed his test then 4months later got an R1 thats been a year and ahalf now without accident.

I'm not saying go get an R1, I'm saying get whatever you want just be sensible on it.
DizzyRebel

22nd Sep 09 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very true. A bike is only as fast as you ride it... you respect a bigger bike with more power, whereas people get sloppy and aggressive on small bikes, learn bad habbits then transfer them to bigger bikes and end up hurting themselves.

My history went:

RS50
RS125
R6
R1

The only bikes i crashed were the 50 and the 125's!
ShEp

22nd Sep 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, he stil says he is scared of the R1 which I think is a good thing, makes him that bit more cautious
Daimo B

22nd Sep 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your after a 400cc bike,

ZXR400.

Awesome little bike, but many have been raced so be weary.
VFR400 is an ace little bike, but again, getting on a bit, and many have been thrashed by young lads like Graham and binned a few times

SV650S, awesome first bike, plenty of poke, and very forgiving. Comfy, reliable, but not too fast to kill you. Doesn't need 8000+revs to feel like its going quick as plenty of torque low down in the revs, hence meaning it doesn't need to be thrashed to have fun like an IL4.

Bandits ok, but not really a sporty fun bike, more of a refined cruiser type commuter bike, however, I love my bandit as its ultra reliable and never lets me down. Come back off holiday after 2 weeks, fired up first time.

You can go down the CBR600 route, but again, you need to work the engine hard to get it moving fast as the nature of the small cc engine and IL4 feature means it needs revving hard.

Ducati Monster? Great little bike, speak to Half Pint on here who has one.

Hornets a good 600, but it has 100bhp, and a tiny tiny fuel tank. Maybe a bit too much as a first bike.

Trust me, anything up to 80bhp as a first bike WILL seem fast if you've not been brought up around bikes.

Theres plenty of time to upgrade to a killer machine, i waited 8 years to get my first true sports bike, but im a much much better rider for it.
Gareth T

22nd Sep 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest the bikes Ive looked at so far are Aprillia RS125 / Honda VFR400 / Kawasaki ZX4R / Honda CBR600
alli Ronald

22nd Sep 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always loved RVF nc35's, alot of cash for one but they are brilliant little bikes.

have to agree with DizzyRebel though a CBR600F is an amazing bike, so usable its unreal and you wont out grow it any time soon. SV650's are decent too but their outta puff at 120mph.

just realised you had posted. Avoid 125's... you will out grow it by the time you get it home. CBR....CBR..... CBR!!!!

[Edited on 22-09-2009 by alli Ronald]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bike Owners 22 database queries in 0.0137329 seconds