corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Been thinking of switching to Vag?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Been thinking of switching to Vag?
davcohen

User status: Offline
29th Sep 09 at 03:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently have a Corsa C 1.3 Cdti and its quite a good little car, I bought this with the intention of upgrading to a Cdti Sri, the time is nearly there however just been reading through some previous posts and it seems like people like them but have quite a few problems especially the standard electric PAS failing.

Was thinking of switching to something like a Seat Ibiza 1.9Tdi (130bhp) I have a budget of around £3-4k and need a small diesel do you guys think i should stick with the corsa or look elsewhere

Insurance will be of minor importance, although the corsa was cheap as chips to insure
daymoon
Premium Member

29th Sep 09 at 05:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

test drive few cars, read reviews and go from there..

[Edited on 29-09-2009 by daymoon]

[Edited on 29-09-2009 by daymoon]
Conway563

29th Sep 09 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For that budget you'll be looking at a pre facelift or a high miler.
I've had my Ibiza just over a year and never had any problems. It's just flown through it's first MOT and I'll be sorry to see it go when it sells
antnee

29th Sep 09 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same car as I'm currently looking for, although I have colour and mileage requirements which is making my search harder
davcohen

29th Sep 09 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well im not 100% sure on the looks but these get 6 speed boxs do they not?

I would not buy a basic spec one although a quick search on autotrader reveals most are already above 100k
richc

29th Sep 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Judging on my friends main car a 05 plate tdi ibiza, i woudlnt bother.

Its done 98k, its needed various bushes, bits for the steering, new turbo, rattles to fuck, gear box crunches into 3rd etc. I would think you would be better off with the corsa (having experience of both if you dont want big bills)
richc

29th Sep 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw my friend with the black MK4 gsi, he had a Corsa sri cdti before on a 05 plate, who sold it go a good friend, and he hasnt spend a penny on it. He doesnt look after it, and does pure town milage
Daveskater
Premium Member

29th Sep 09 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pow had an Ibiza 130 diesel one, ask him.

If I had to choose between VAG and Vaux personally, it would be Vaux every time.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
AndyKent

29th Sep 09 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't go for anything with unusually high miles for its age or likely to have had a hard life (courtesy car/ex-hire car) but other than that they're no less reliable than anything else.

My Golf has been spot on for the relatively short time I've had it (coming up a year now). Not one single problem, no squeaks, rattles, bits falling off etc. Thats an 06 plate with 40k miles but cost twice as much as you're looking at spending.

TBH, anything newish with a lot of miles is going to have problems, just don't kid yourself that a VAG is any more reliable than anything else. It won't be any less reliable either though.
John

29th Sep 09 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had both a Corsa 1.3 cdti and a fabia (almost the same as an ibiza) and the VAG wins every time. I like corsa's, not saying they are bad cars, but the pd130 is orders of magnitude better than any of the engines the corsa comes with.
mattk

29th Sep 09 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the PD engines are fucking class to be fair
AndyKent

29th Sep 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John, you know your VAG stuff.

I have a 1.9tdi 105 in my Golf - that is a PD engine isn't it?
Not too sure myself and never bothered to find out, not that it matters much
John

29th Sep 09 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip PD, the earlier non PD's don't come in 105 and the CR's are all 2.0.
AlunJ

29th Sep 09 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go test drive a few fella, best way! I've driven the c 1.3cdti, not bad like but nothing to phone home about. I had a good drive in my mates mk4 golf gt tdi 1.9, tuned up a bit, and I think genuinely its one of the best cars i've driven. I was doing nearly a ton (private road ) with the air con on, and still returning 37mpg?
antnee

29th Sep 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
Judging on my friends main car a 05 plate tdi ibiza, i woudlnt bother.

Its done 98k, its needed various bushes, bits for the steering, new turbo, rattles to fuck, gear box crunches into 3rd etc. I would think you would be better off with the corsa (having experience of both if you dont want big bills)

Must have a shit example. Ive been out/driven quite a few of my mates, and the only one which rattled was a guy that had taken his dash out to sort something and probably missed a screw out or something.

With the 6 speed box you can easily get 60mpg on the Mway, even ragging it you will be hard pushed to get less than 40mpg!
John

29th Sep 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are equally as reliable as each other.

People who buy cars and need a million things replaced a year are dogs, plain and simple.

An 05 with 100k miles has done 25k miles a year, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, crunching into 3rd would be another indicator, don't buy high mileage cars no matter how many people on here try to justify their bad purchases with ' they are good for 200k'.
Gareth

29th Sep 09 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I assume mine has the same engine as the ibiza. Done 118k, needed a clutch, turbo and suffers from the infamous gearbox crunch. Which i did take it in for but they were unable to resolve. Got its first MOT on the 8th expecting a shopping list, then its back to the lease company so i can start again
antnee

29th Sep 09 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad's Fabia VRs (same thing), is on a 06 plate and has done 95k, its blown a turbo and needed a wheel bearing. They replaced the bushes under warranty but my dad didn't notice any changes at all. Flew through all its services with no problems and went through its first mot fine too.

Anyway, if a turbo goes, uprate it

edit: make sure you don't get one with 6dash clocks (has oil temp and voltage on) as theres a problem with them giving up at 100k

[Edited on 29-09-2009 by antnee]
John

30th Sep 09 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yours is a 56 plate isn't it Gareth, that's done 40k a year, a clutch, a turbo and a crunching gearbox isn't too bad imo.
davcohen

30th Sep 09 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit of a mixed opinion going on here, ive been a vauxhall man most of my life however when i was involved in a crash in march I was given a VW golf Mk5 Gttdi 140, had it for around 3 months and i really enjoyed it.

As I said I currently have a 1.3cdti and its a great little car, took 4 adults with luggage and averaged something stupid like 60mpg without even trying to drive like a granny. I know I would like a slightly more powerful car so was thinking the 1.7 would be an ideal upgrade. Problem at the moment is dealers seem to have nearly all of them and ive never bought a car from a dealer before, I would still like to avoid paying an extra grand that dealers seem to slap on but then thinking back to the golf its build quality is well above the corsa.

I know the golf is the next size up but its in a whole different league
pow
Premium Member

30th Sep 09 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never managed 60MPG on very long runs with mine, no matter how well it was serviced and running etc.

I had a 6 clock dash that fucked up, £501 with SEAT discount for a new one.

My turbo and clutch never went at 98k, must be the way people drive them.

Boost pipes are prone to blowing off, I fitted all new ones.

My car crunched into 3rd at high revs

It was quite noisey and unrefined, used to knock and bang in the wet and at any sign of a bump
Gareth

30th Sep 09 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Yours is a 56 plate isn't it Gareth, that's done 40k a year, a clutch, a turbo and a crunching gearbox isn't too bad imo.

Yes, it was revo'd for abit too. Ive been very happy with it to be honest. Wouldnt mind keeping it for another 3 years to see how it copes with another 120k
davcohen

2nd Oct 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i think based on the above info ill stick with my original plan of getting a C 1.7cdti sri if i can find one with 60k or less mileage

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Been thinking of switching to Vag? 23 database queries in 0.0186191 seconds